This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
    Highland Pioneer is not a UT 704 but a UT 706 design (PSV), built at Sterkoder in 1983 I believe? (Can't remember original name)

As far as I can recall this one was built, or at least outfitted, at Sterkoder around the same time. Could she now be the "Invincible Tide"? (Popularly known as the "Invisible Tide")
    If that is a UT706, then "Balder Grip" must be so too. Wasn't those two sisters...?
    Latest info I got is that "Balder Grip" now is "Oil Tracer" with Tidewater Marine Intl Inc-UK (info updated 11th December 2009).

I'm sorry to have confused you with the design numbers, as that never was (or is) my strongest side. I'm more into names, IMO-nr. and callsigns

I would be very happy if anyone can provide pictures of the the two Balders built by Sterkoder, because strangely enough...., these are the two vessels I get questions about from time to time

If you know that "Balder Grip" was outfitted at Sterkoder, it may very well be the case that she was built at Haugesund Verft

Do you have the designcode for Sterkoder yardnrs. 98 "Stad Senja" delivered in January 1984 and yardnr. 102 "Star Sirius" (now "Hua Shun") delivered in June 1985...??
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Highland Pioneer is not a UT 704 but a UT 706 design (PSV), built at Sterkoder in 1983 I believe? (Can't remember original name)
      Well, after coming home from work and having better time to read things through, I must comment on this one:

If "Highland Pioneer" is a UT706, my list from Sterkoder 8-9 posts ago are still correct, as I didn't list the two Balders as UT704s.

I see you can't remember her original name, but just a few posts ago I wrote that she was delivered from Sterkoder as "Balder Vigra".
      (I take it for granted that we talk about the same vessels, as there can't be too many ex. "Balder Grip"s and "Balder Vigra"s out there, delivered from Sterkoder in the early 1980s...??) .

I suspect that we might talk past by each other in one way or another
      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
        Well, after coming home from work and having better time to read things through, I must comment on this one:

If "Highland Pioneer" is a UT706, my list from Sterkoder 8-9 posts ago are still correct, as I didn't list the two Balders as UT704s.

I see you can't remember her original name, but just a few posts ago I wrote that she was delivered from Sterkoder as "Balder Vigra".
        (I take it for granted that we talk about the same vessels, as there can't be too many ex. "Balder Grip"s and "Balder Vigra"s out there, delivered from Sterkoder in the early 1980s...??) .

I suspect that we might talk past by each other in one way or another
        Sorry, I may be the one that has confused matters, since I cannot recall exact names of vessels I attended for a few days back that many years ago. I don't have any records available either. (No computer then. I started using those only in 1985 or 86)

I did attend several newbuildings in KSU around 1982-1985, but for various reasons. Incl. Balder Grip, which is as you rightly said a PSV (UT 706) and thus would not have carried out a BP test.

I also forgot that there were TWO yards building offshore vessels in KSU at that time, Sterkoder and Storvik. I did attend at both yards, at various times.

A quick search in Miramar shows that the Invincible Tide, which I mentioned in an earlier post was indeed built in KSU, but at Storvik, yard No. 99 in 1982 as Atlantic Nor, but was completed at HMV, Haugesund.

A sister vessel, also a UT704, was built at Sterkoder as yard No. 92 in 1982 (Now COSL 672)

As for the Stad Senja, I believe this was a UT 708 of 12,000 Bhp. Now North Crusader, Gulf Marine and working in this area.
        Star Sirius I believe to be a UT704 Mk.3 (Bigger engines, >9,000 Bhp) Now Huashun, working in China.

There are 500 vessels built to UT design, (Originally Ulstein Trading, now Rolls Royce Marine) of which nearly a hundred were of the UT 704 design. most of them are still working and regarded as the "Gold Standard" of Offshore vessels.

Comment

Unknown Cruise Ship seen at Pasir Panjang Terminal this morning:

Does anybody know which one??? (I don't)

Comment

Is it possibly Silver Whisper?

Comment

Originally posted by Gaelsail View Post
              Is it possibly Silver Whisper?
              I think it is – and her next scheduled voyage starting 4 March is Hong Kong to Singapore.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                I think it is – and her next scheduled voyage starting 4 March is Hong Kong to Singapore.
                You are probably right.
                Just surprised that a relatively small Cruise ship is berthed here. Usually only ships too "tall" to go to the Cruise Centre will be berthing in a Commercial Terminal, especially as "remote" as this.
                (If anything can be said to be remote in little Singapore)

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                  You are probably right.
                  Just surprised that a relatively small Cruise ship is berthed here. Usually only ships too "tall" to go to the Cruise Centre will be berthing in a Commercial Terminal, especially as "remote" as this.
                  (If anything can be said to be remote in little Singapore)
                  She seems to have moved during her stay:

SILVER WHISPER
                  23/02/10 07:50 23/02/10 13:25
                  HO CHI MINH CITY
                  SINGAPORE Gateway
                  Departed

SILVER WHISPER
                  23/02/10 14:15 24/02/10 16:55
                  SINGAPORE MUARA CC01
                  Departed

Comment

Originally posted by Gaelsail View Post
                    She seems to have moved during her stay:

SILVER WHISPER
                    23/02/10 07:50 23/02/10 13:25
                    HO CHI MINH CITY
                    SINGAPORE Gateway
                    Departed

SILVER WHISPER
                    23/02/10 14:15 24/02/10 16:55
                    SINGAPORE MUARA CC01
                    Departed
                    That should be proof positive, Silver Cloud it must be. I went out by launch around 0900 hrs., when I spotted her alongside at Pasir Panjang Terminal. She was gone when I returned from the anchorage at around 1500 hrs.

The "Gateway" bit I don't know, but Muara is the main port in Brunei, near the capital Bandar Seri Begawan. The probably on to Kota Kinabalu and back to Hong Kong for her next round trip.

Still don't understand what they are doing at the "desolate" Pasir Panjang Terminal. (Maybe cheaper than at the Cruise Centre???)

Comment

I decided to throw this one into the veteran category since she is already scrapped and gone to the heaven's where ocean liners can freely sail into eternity.

What is the name of this ship, or her names?

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                        I decided to throw this one into the veteran category since she is already scrapped and gone to the heaven's where ocean liners can freely sail into eternity.

*** bump ***

A tip would be looking into her funnel:

Epirotiki Lines - pictures, stories and tales (thread on the old forum).

NEPTUNE ex-Meteor of Bergen (same shipping line, thread on the old forum).

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Third day and no attempts, too difficult?

Comment

No, the hint with the shipping line was O.K..

That is M/S PRINCESA ISABEL (1962), later MARCO POLO (1969), AQUAMARINE (1978), ODYSSEUS (1988), LUCKY STAR (2005), scrapped in India in 2008.
                            Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                              No, the hint with the shipping line was O.K..

That is M/S PRINCESA ISABEL (1962), later MARCO POLO (1969), AQUAMARINE (1978), ODYSSEUS (1988), LUCKY STAR (2005), scrapped in India in 2008.
                              And Ralf is the winner... ! This is one of her last visits to Trondheim, as photographed by my father: she held the name Odysseus.

Comment

And Ralf is the winner... ! This is one of her last visits to Trondheim, as photographed by my father: she held the name Odysseus.
                                I think she ended her days as a Gambling Boat in this region

Comment

Working...
                                X