Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are the true detective here... I have troubles identifying the difference between the two suggested...
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Don't know the maritime word for it, but investigate the rear hull as it goes over to the superstructure. There are differences in the openings on the two decks there.
      I'm sure you know what I mean...

Now, for a while, we can't see the picture you posted from old Trondheim, but under here, I've marked the two pictures so that the different between "Himalaya" and "Chusan" is clearly visible. I think the posted picture of the ship in Trondheim looks more like "Chusan".

Now that I posted the marked pictures side by side, I also see other differences.
      Last edited by Sterkoder; November 19th, 2009, 19:02.
      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

I think you maybe correct Sterkoder, the 'cut away' rear deck areas on the "Chusan" certainly seem a closer match, plus if you look very closely you can see a section just forward of the 'cut aways' (not sure what to call them), that juts out from the side of the ship, it's very evident on Pakarangs post, and you can just make it out in the photo of the "Chusan".
        Also, if you enlarge Pakarangs original image you can just see a rear mast standing tall, the "Himalaya" does not have a tall rear mast.
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Good detective work to both of you! I looked at both and could just not spot the difference...

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Spotting time again, here a photo of Southampton Docks taken from RMS Queen Elizabeth at the Ocean Terminal.
            A whole line of liners here to identify, should be interesting!

Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

Originally posted by SaintsFCFan View Post
              Spotting time again, here a photo of Southampton Docks taken from RMS Queen Elizabeth at the Ocean Terminal.
              A whole line of liners here to identify, should be interesting!
              This is a hard one, but the one I have marked off as "A" looks extremely familiar, though the name slips my mind right now.

Additionally, "B" also looks very familiar...

Comment

Which steamer is this?

the pic was taken in Alaska, does anyone know which ship this is?

Comment

That's a good question.... I would guess it's an old Canadian or US vessel.

At first I thought she also might be an inland lake cruiser, but she could be doing protected fjord cruises in Alaska as well.

Comment

I'm also wondering which ship this is:

it's a Swedish steamer, the pic was taken in Stockholm

Comment

That last one is one of the steamers sailing in and out of Stockholm to the islands in the surrounding archipelago. I don't know the name of it, but I can see something like STOR.... on the forward bulkhead beneath the bridge.

I have seen these vessel many a time whilst in Stockholm.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                        That last one is one of the steamers sailing in and out of Stockholm to the islands in the surrounding archipelago. I don't know the name of it, but I can see something like STOR.... on the forward bulkhead beneath the bridge.

I have seen these vessel many a time whilst in Stockholm.
                        Is this the Steamship Storskär ?

Comment

Originally posted by Gaelsail View Post
                          Is this the Steamship Storskär ?
                          I think you have successfully identified the ship for Majaorca100. (thumbs up)

Comment

thanks a lot!!!!

Comment

And while we are into swedish steam boats:
                              Anyone else remembering the swedish tv-series "Vi på Saltkråkan" ??

The steamvessel there had the name "Saltkråkan 1" , but in real life that was SS "Valkyrian" later changed to "Strömma Kanal" and finally "Drottningholm".
                              Saltkråkan was not a real island, but they used the island Norröra east of Stockholm to act like it.
                              (Nothing reminds me of childhood summer like "Vi på Saltkråkan"...., and there were Malin....).
                              "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Oh, indeed, that TV series was the real summer series!

And.. Malin... sweet Malin.....

Comment

Working...
                                X