This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
    I have tried finding and image of Øykongen but that wasn't as easy to accomplish as I initially thought.
    I found this one of "Øykongen" in Tysfjorden

Best wishes from
    Bengt Domben

Comment

Another puzzle, unknown because I have lost my note with the name:

NOT an ex fishing vessel. Most likely used to carry pax and a little cargo to some outlaying island(s). Probably in the south of Norway from the hull shape.
      Maybe Utsira?? (Wild guess only)

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
        NOT an ex fishing vessel. Most likely used to carry pax and a little cargo to some outlaying island(s). Probably in the south of Norway from the hull shape.
        Maybe Utsira?? (Wild guess only)
        The picture was taken at Helnessund, just north of Bodo, in Steigen... some time this summer, if that is any help.
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

The picture was taken at Helnessund, just north of Bodo, in Steigen... some time this summer, if that is any help.
          If it was not too long ago, the exact time would help more...., as "I have means of checking things" ().
          So, what does the picture info say about date and time...?
          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Darn.... EXIF is lost... it was taken with the mobile phone, and once transferred to the computer, it was all reset. But I think it was taken in the first half of July, when I was on Ofoten on familiarization.

Sorry to give you such a head ache... didn't anyone on board the HSC also mention that it was now stationed at Bodø or Helnessund/Steigen?

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I just thought i found her in project 365, picture of 7th of July. But i failed, this is another one. But maybe this anyway helps to refresh your memory, so you can give some additional information about the picture. So the task for Sterkoder is not so hard....

Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Tuesday 7th of July... umm... could it be the following week?

Sorry, I can't give an exact date there...

Comment

Hmmn.... another liner to be identified. This comes from my book called Britain Overseas of 1908. It's most definitley an Empress liner. The question is which one, if I were to guess I would say Empress Of Ireland. Or maybe it's not....

Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

That looks very much like the RMS Empress of Ireland.

And did you know...., it sank in St. Lawrence River in 1914 after a collision with the norwegian collier SS Storstad.
                    Capt. Kendall of the Empress planned to pass the oncoming Storstad green to green (starboard to starboard) but was hindered by a huge fogbank rolling in. He then ordered full power astern and sounded three blasts to indicate he was reversing. When coming to a stop, he blasted two times to indicate for the oncoming Storstad he was dead in the water.
                    The Storstad (reinforced to handle ice) plowed into the Empress right between the two funnels, and after disengaging..., 60.000 gallons of water pr. second poured into the Empress. It took 14 minutes for her to keel over.
                    The accident happened one foggy night in May of that year and 1012 people (14 norwegians) lost their lives in the then (until 1987) second worst civil maritime disaster of the world.

The SS Storstad was torpedoed off shore Ireland in March 1917 and sank. All hands saved.

O'boy...., how interesting this Captainsvoyage is...., and how much one can learn!!!!!!
                    Last edited by Sterkoder; September 14th, 2009, 00:09.

Comment

Yep! I am going with you on this one. Strange how Titanic is the one that seems to be in most people's history of disasters, especially when you consider Empress Of Ireland (1,012 lost), Lusitania (1.198 lost).
                      But after looking into maritime disasters I was really surprised when I read about MV Doña Paz of the Philippines, 4,375 lost. That is staggering!

Link
                      Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

An unknown cruise vessel arriving at Trondheim: anyone who can name the ship?

Photo: Port of Trondheim.

Comment

Could be the "Himalaya" or the "Chusan" I'm more likely to believe it's the Himalaya as I know she did several cruises to Northern Europe. Just read the story on this link:

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/PO_Liners...#anchor3839825

Comment

Thank you so much... I think you are correct.

Fascinating ship and fascinating story! She reminded me a bit about the former Oriana (her stern).

Comment

Just be careful about that website. It's addictive! (Like CV ).
                              I've spent hours and hours looking at ship pictures from all kinds of lines

Comment

I'm more likely to believe it's the Himalaya as I know she did several cruises to Northern Europe.
                                That is of course a vital information for a "ship-detective"..., but take one more look
                                I'd go for "Chusan".
                                There are major differences in the stern area between the picture Jan-Olav posted and the picture of "Himalaya" on that fantastic web-page from Svein...

Comment

Working...
                                X