Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't know about that, but as I and Jan-Olav agreed on the old CV forum, we both are detail freaks, so an ordinary snapshot or even composed picture for that matter, can tell me a hole lot of things.
    When you take a picture of a vessel, (and I know it can not always be done due to angle and such), essential is to get the name (part of a name), IMO number, home port or ID letters in the picture.
    But nothing is more fun than good old detective work to id a vessel. Having to search info from every thinkable place to pinpoint a name, I learn a lot about a vessel, or other vessels as I go along.
    Ok, I might be a nerd on these stuff, but it's very interesting.

But of course, back to your comment: Thank you very much!!!
    Last edited by Sterkoder; August 5th, 2009, 22:58.
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

I am to slowly, I need some weeks more for sorting my photos.
      Yes, it is Anne Bro, here you can see it in the middle.

Maybe this photo is a little bit better. In the background you can see Vega.

Comment

Unknown Vessel, anyone know?

This was taken in Southampton in 1974, but I have as yet been unable to identify her.

Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

That is one of the Union Castle "reefer" ships. When built, they were the fastest diesel powered freighters in the world. There were too of them, and my guess would be that is the GOOD HOPE CASTLE, sister ship to the SOUTHAMPTON CASTLE. Both very identical in many way as both entered service in 1965 and later modified to allow for a handful of passengers.
          With container ships being the preferred means of cargo transport by the late 70s, the two were sold to Costa Line after a brief lay up. Becoming the FRANCA C and PAOLO C.

Comment

WOW...., how exiting!!!!

I'm on this like 'Hercule Poirot'....., and so far, this vessel seems to belong to Shaw, Savill & Albion Line.
            Now, her name is the 1.000 dollar question.....

EDIT: 'Captain RJ' you seem so sure, I guess you have the correct answer!!! ;-)
            Last edited by Sterkoder; August 19th, 2009, 23:23.

Comment

Looking at the name on the stern, it seems to be in three parts even though it's unreadable. I think Captain RJ you are right sir!
              Excellent detection work I must say.

Comment

I recognized the funnel colors as Union Castle as I know them well from my collection. Im not 100% sure, as I only concluded as such.
                Here we see the ship in question from a similar angle, let your eyes do the judging.
                If this is indeed the GOOD HOPE CASTLE, she had an interesting history as she endured a fire a year before this picture we have above.

There were some interesting ships in the Union Castle line, most notably the TRANSVAAL CASTLE, WINDSOR CASTLE and EDINBURGH CASTLE.

Comment

Very interesting!!!
                  I would not dream of playing on your side of the field RJ....., this is your game!
                  And looking at your picture, I'm positive you're correct!!

These kind of threads are so interesting!

I also used the funnel as a starting point, but ended up with the wrong company. Nevertheless, I learned so much new stuff I didn't know before tonight...., great!

Comment

Oh yes I do remember the Transvaal Castle, I took a photo of her in Southampton in 1973. If my memory serves me correctly, she was in all over white scheme with blue white & red banding on a grey funnel. Graceful looking lady too!
                    I'll have to hunt around for the photo.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                      Very interesting!!!
                      I would not dream of playing on your side of the field RJ....., this is your game!
                      And looking at your picture, I'm positive you're correct!!

These kind of threads are so interesting!

I also used the funnel as a starting point, but ended up with the wrong company. Nevertheless, I learned so much new stuff I didn't know before tonight...., great!
                      Thanks Sterkoder!
                      Actually I will be in your neck of the woods next year as I find Norway fjords the most beautiful place. Hopefully cruising on a few of the older ships.
                      Your right, learning about new ships are most interesting!

Comment

Originally posted by SaintsFCFan View Post
                        Oh yes I do remember the Transvaal Castle, I took a photo of her in Southampton in 1973. If my memory serves me correctly, she was in all over white scheme with blue white & red banding on a grey funnel. Graceful looking lady too!
                        I'll have to hunt around for the photo.
                        Yes, that is her, but you are thinking of her when she was the SA VAAL as seen below. Your absolutely right tho, most graceful lady. This was her Safmarine incarnation from 1966-1977, and also given the RMS designation, meaning she could carry the Royal mail(Royal Mail Steamer, Steamship)
                        She went on to sail with Carnival Cruise Line as FESTIVALE, finding work as ISLAND BREEZE, and under the Premier flag as the BIG RED BOAT III. Sadly, we lost her to the perils of Alang in 2003/2004. A very different, but interesting profile with a set back housing and wheelhouse face like the CANBERRA of 1961. Something I found weird when I was younger, but now appreciate so much more.

Last edited by Captain RJ; August 20th, 2009, 17:40.

Comment

Another puzzle, unknown because I have lost my note with the name:

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                            Another puzzle, unknown because I have lost my note with the name:

For those in need of some brain exercise, here is a second puzzle: which HSC?

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

First puzzle: have to twist my brain for a while.

Second puzzle: must be "Øykongen". Yardnr. 1552 from Fjeldstrand in 1982.

Comment

I have tried finding and image of Øykongen but that wasn't as easy to accomplish as I initially thought.

Comment

Working...
                                X