This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unknown Vessel, anyone know?

The ship in post 207 is the Normandy quite a while after the fire (About 1 1/2 years after). To help lighten the ship for re-floating, the stacks and upper structures were removed. The hull was then towed to dry dock for assessment and possible repairs to convert her to an aircraft and transport ferry. We all know the rest of the story.

Comment

this image comes from facebook,any one know the 3 on knowns?

best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
        this image comes from facebook,any one know the 3 on knowns?

The one to the right reminds me of a Princess..... perhaps former Royal Princess... but then again, the bridge is just two decks above the forecastel... hence a smaller ship perhaps?

The one further back is unnknown to me, but how about Ausonia?
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

This picture is from Aalesund and quite recent:

Does anybody know this old lady??

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
            This picture is from Aalesund and quite recent:

Does anybody know this old lady??
            Something Dutch? I have really no idea on wooden sail ships of this class.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

At Wikimedia Commons, I came across this interesting photo: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...iking_Saga.jpg
              I wonder which ship the white one behind the "Viking Saga" might be? The ship looks rather old (with a wooden bridge) and interesting... strange funnel...

Comment

she looks like having a nice line,but i don't have any idea.
                but this is more a test reply.
                best regards Thijs

Comment

Looks like Soviet funnel marking. Nice old combined cargo and pax vessel, but not likely to be Russian built.

PS> Could it be this one?
                  The Baltika: http://worldshipny.com/baltika.shtml

Here some details:
                  She was operated by the Baltic Shipping Company of the USSR. Built by Nederlandsche Scheeps as the VYACHESLAV MOLOTOV, she was used as a troopship during WW2 until laid up in Leningrad in 1941 after hitting a mine in the Gulf of Finland. She was renamed BALTIKA in 1957 and scrapped in Pakistan in 1987.
                  Last edited by ombugge; September 23rd, 2013, 04:43. Reason: Add PS

Comment

Good work, ombugge, i think that must be her, if not, then a very close sister. I spent a couple of hours looking for her last night, found some similar looking pre-war DFDS ships, but none that matched totally. If the date of the photo that Bengt found is indeed 1983, then it was 4 years before she went to Pakistan for scrapping. Shame, she is a lovely looking vessel, not many like her left in the world now.

Again, well done on finding her, i was very curious to find her myself.
                    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                      If the date of the photo that Bengt found is indeed 1983, then it was 4 years before she went to Pakistan for scrapping...
                      Well, it was me who "found" the photo on Wikimedia Commons (though I'm not the original "finder", it was uploaded by someone else), and my name isn't Bengt

Thanks all of you, janihudi, ombugge, Steve B. for looking - and especially, of course, ombugge for finally identifying her quite compellingly - I'm going to add to the description at Wikimedia Commons that it's probably her.

Comment

• Steve.B
                        Steve.B commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Opp's sorry for the mix up with names, i got you mixed up with 'Grindøya' - how i do not know, probably something to do with the fact that Bengt - (Grindøya), only recently changed to that name. Your not even in the same country, so no excuse for my mix up - me bad, I will endeavor not to mix you up again, but i must say that was a good 'spot', i enjoyed trying to hunt her down, but ombugge beat me to it.

By the way, according to Fakta om Fartyg, Baltika had a sister vessel, the Iosif Stalin, which was however destroyed early in the war. So it can probably only be the Baltika.

Comment

This one looks familiar, Seen on Eastern Anchorage, Singapore a few days ago:

Any of you ferry enthusiasts can identify her?
                        She look European to me.

Comment

"Ocean Grand" from july 2013
                          It has sailed in the Mediterranean before it appears

Former names
                          ​OCEAN ROSE until 2013 Jul
                          IONIAN KING until 2011 Nov
                          FERRY LAVENDER until 2004 Dec

IMO number 9006629
                          Name of the ship OCEAN GRAND
                          Type of ship RO-RO/PASSENGER
                          SHIP MMSI 352287000
                          Gross tonnage 30413 tons
                          DWT 7689 tons
                          Year of build 1991
                          Builder JMU - TOKYO, JAPAN
                          Flag PANAMA
                          Class society
                          REGISTRO ITALIANO NAVALE
                          Manager & owner
                          OCEANIC GROUP INTERNATIONAL - HONG KONG, CHINA
                          Best wishes from
                          Bengt Domben

Comment

• ombugge
                            ombugge commented
                            Editing a comment
                            That was quick.
                            I'm surprised that she Japanese owned and built. Looked very European to me.
                            Here is some more info:
                            Ferry Lavender
                            She was built in 1991 by Ishikawajima Harima Heavy Industries at Tokyo & Aioi, Japan as the Ferry Lavender for Shin Nihonkai Ferry of Osaka, Japan. She plied between Maizuru (Honshu) and Otaru (Hokkaido) with her running mates Ferry Lilac (now "Princess of the Star" of Sulpicio Lines of the Philippines) and New Akashia. In 2004 she was replaced by the two luxury fast ferries, Hamanasu & Akashia.
                            No idea what she was doing in Singapore, or where she is/will be trading next.

Here is three more unknown ships:

Maybe not that unknown. Looks like at least a couple of the early Queens.
                          Probably from WWII based on the paint job. New York definitely.

Comment

• Steve.B
                            Steve.B commented
                            Editing a comment
                            A couple of old 'Queen's' - Mary and Elizabeth, and the other is probably the ill fated 'Normandy', no doubt sitting in the berth that was soon to be her grave.

Definately the two British Queens (Mary and Elizabeth) and the Normandie of the French Line.

Comment

Working...
                          X