This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unknown Vessel, anyone know?

Here is a new mystery for you all.... you find this original image on facebook, in the Remember the Classic Liners group there.... a group which you all should really join too!

Can anyone identify any of these ships in various stages of demolition?

Surely, two of them are ocean liners...

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Dear Sterkoder....

This one is for you: do you know this vessel and do you have a photo of her?

http://www.adressa.no/nyheter/article1683584.ece

Here is a piece of Norway's history: http://translate.google.com/translat...cle1683584.ece

The ship was the first to be attacked as "Blücher" poured into the Oslo Fjord. The captain was the first that fell. Now cut the ship.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
        Dear Sterkoder....

This one is for you: do you know this vessel and do you have a photo of her?

http://www.adressa.no/nyheter/article1683584.ece

Here is a piece of Norway's history: http://translate.google.com/translat...cle1683584.ece
        Attention Sterkoder,

Hope you haven't missed out on the drama up here in Trøndelag, and this venerable old boat: she seems to be saved today:

Comment

An unknown from Google Earth in Singapore Sembawang Shipyard: anyone can recognize this one?

Comment

Attention Sterkoder,

Hope you haven't missed out on the drama up here in Trøndelag, and this venerable old boat: she seems to be saved today:

***bumping *** this one up for you, Sterkoder.

I wouldn't be too surprised if you had a better photo of this one.

Comment

[QUOTE=pakarang;69060]An unknown from Google Earth in Singapore Sembawang Shipyard: anyone can recognize this one?

Probably one of Carnival Cruise's ship. They have had several at Sembawang for major overhaul and upgrade the last few years.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                An unknown from Google Earth in Singapore Sembawang Shipyard: anyone can recognize this one?
                Probably one of Carnival Cruise's ship. They have had several at Sembawang for major overhaul and upgrade the last few years.
                It looks like she is a two funnel ship: one on each side, and with a stern not unlike the first NCL ships.

I don't find a Carnival ship that fits this shape, but off course, I could be wrong.

Comment

I think she's one of the old timers, i wonder if she is still with us?, the image date on G/E is 2003. Maybe she did not get past the last big update to the SOLAS regs.

Well, she's around 137m in length, so that should help ID her. I will go googling!
                  Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                    Well, she's around 137m in length, so that should help ID her. I will go googling!
                    This is not as easy as i thought it would be, two hours searching last night got me nowhere! She somehow looks familiar, i guess she may have been built in the late 50's/60's.
                    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                      This is not as easy as i thought it would be, two hours searching last night got me nowhere! She somehow looks familiar, i guess she may have been built in the late 50's/60's.
                      Could it be one of the Kloser Cruise vessels from Italy??

Comment

Looks like the old Moore&McCormick Liner. Brasil etc. But that could not be, they have changed so much.

Matthias

Comment

I think this may be the Ocean Spirit, a vessel which underwent major upgrading at Sembawang Shipyard in 1988. This picture may not be that old as she may have been back several time since then.

Here is her history:
                          IMO No.: 6610663.
                          Built at BMV, Bergen in 1966 as Sunward - Kloster/NCL 1966-76.
                          Ile de Beaute - CGTM/SNCM 1972-76
                          Grand Flotel - 1976-77
                          Ocean Spirit - 1988-1993
                          Scandinavian Song -1990,1993
                          The Empress - 1993-2005
                          Broken up in Chittagong 26.04.2004 according to Miramar.

Here she is leaving Sembawang Shipyard as Ocean Spirit in 1988:

Another picture as Ocean Spirit:

As Scandinavian Song for Sea Escape:

I thought at first it could be this one:

She is a regular visitor to Sembawang Shipyard, but there is just too many life boats.

Before additional decks added:

Comment

Sunward

Sunward - Ile de Beaute - Grand Flotel - Saudi Moon - Ocean Spirit - Scandinavian Song - Santiago de Cuba - The Empress

Sunward (I) was designed to operate on a new cruise-ferry service from Southampton to Vigo, Lisbon and Gibraltar, her design being an enlarged version of the typical Scandinavian ferries being built at the time. The new line was called Klosters Sunward Ferries, being run by the long-established Norwegian shipowners, the Kloster family (there is a 'K' for Kloster logo on the dummy funnel). Despite great promise, the route was not a success, and Sunward was moved to Miami to operate for Ted Arison (later to form Carnival) as Norwegian Caribbean Lines on sailings to Nassau. The venture was so successful, that additional ships were soon ordered.

The pioneering Sunward was sold to the French state-owned ferry operator CGTM in 1972, entering service as the Ile de Beaute, in 1973. In 1976, registered owners became Societe Nationale Corse-Mediterranee (SNCM), but Ile de Beaute was sold the following year for use as the hotel ship Grand Flotel in Saudi Aradia. A year later she pased to Saudi Maritime Transport Company, Jeddah, as the Saudi Moon I, for a service Suez-Aqaba-Jeddah. In 1984 she was sold to Sabah Maritime Services Co., Jeddah. In 1988 Saudi Moon I was sold Ocean Quest International, New Orleans, and renamed Ocean Spirit. After rebuilding, she undertook cruises on routes New Orleans-Cozumel-Belize-Cancun and St. Petersburg-Belize Reef-Cozumel-Roaten-Guanaja. In 1990 Ocean Spirit was chartered to SeaEscape as the Scandinavian Song. In 1991-93 Scandinavian Song was chartered to the Danish Cruise Line, returning to SeaEscape briefly in 1993 on their Port Canaveral-Freeport service. She has since operated as Santiago de Cuba and The Empress for Empress Cruises. She was scrapped in 2005.

Info and pictures above taken from: http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/Sunward.html

Comment

I am almost certain you have found her identity Ombugge. Very good job. I was beginning to give up hope on finding out her identity. There were two things that puzzled me when studying the google earth image, her transom and her short length. Both of those things did not fit with the type of vessel i thought she was - classic 1950's/60's cruise ship. She was not long enough, and she did not have the classic rounded stern. Now i can see why! So obvious now, but i totally overlooked the ferry clues.

Like i say, i am convinced you are spot on, the only niggle i have is that i cannot find her overall length recorded anywhere, not that i have any doubts, i just like to cross reference things!

Great work Ombugge, i am very pleased to know her identity and her history. Hard to put into words, but it gives that simple google earth image a lot of meaning.

Comment

All you may want to know courtesy of Miramar Ship Index:

Single Ship Report for "6610663"
                                IDNo: 6610663
                                Name: SUNWARD
                                Type: Ferry (pax/RORO)
                                Flag: NOR
                                Yard No: 455
                                Year: 1966
                                Country of build: NOR
                                Builder: Bergens MV
                                Location of yard: Bergen
                                Launch Date: 24.3.66
                                Date of completion: 20.6.66

Gross Tons: 8666 DWT: N/A
                                Length overall: 139.4
                                LPP: 122.5
                                Beam: 20.8
                                Number of screws/Mchy/Speed(kn): 2D-20

End: 2004

Subsequent History:
                                73 ILE DE BEAUTE - 77 GRAND FLOTEL - 78 SAUDI MOON I - 80 SAUDI ARABIAN - 84 SAUDI MOON I - 88 OCEAN SPIRIT - 90 SCANDINAVIAN SONG - 94 SANTIAGO DE CUBA - 94 THE EMPRESS

Disposal Data:
                                BU Chittagong 26.4.04.

Comment

Working...
                                X