This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by White Star View Post
    Guy`s I have one for you. My Great Uncle Harry served and died aboard the Empress Of Ireland and when my Aunt found out I was a ship geek she handed me a cigar box, in this box was some pics of Great Uncle Harry, a press cutting about the Empress sinking, A postcard of the Empress, a postcard of the Storstad after the collision and this picture of a unnamed vessel.

I have tried to determine the name of this vessel and the line she sailed for, for some time now. Best of luck chaps.

Bill
    This is really a "hard nut to crack"....
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Hopefully I can get the image scanned, it might make it clearer.

Comment

Guys, I have this one nailed. She is the SS Deseado of the Royal Mail Lines.

http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20...eseado-08.html

http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20...eseado-07.html

http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20...eseado-01.html

Last edited by White Star; August 17th, 2010, 23:54.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
          Does anybody know this vessel?

This one have not been identified yet. I believe she is Norwegian, possibly Fred Olsen???

Comment

While we wait for someone to crack the above, here is another mystery ship.
            This one in Hellesylt, 1937:

Which ship is this???

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
              Another puzzle, unknown because I have lost my note with the name:

NOT an ex fishing vessel. Most likely used to carry pax and a little cargo to some outlaying island(s). Probably in the south of Norway from the hull shape.
              Maybe Utsira?? (Wild guess only)
              The picture was taken at Helnessund, just north of Bodo, in Steigen... some time this summer, if that is any help.
              Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
              If it was not too long ago, the exact time would help more...., as "I have means of checking things" ().
              So, what does the picture info say about date and time...?
              Darn.... EXIF is lost... it was taken with the mobile phone, and once transferred to the computer, it was all reset. But I think it was taken in the first half of July, when I was on Ofoten on familiarization.

Sorry to give you such a head ache... didn't anyone on board the HSC also mention that it was now stationed at Bodø or Helnessund/Steigen?
              Following received today by e-mail: this most likely clarifies the mystery ship at Helnessund in Steigen last year:

Hei Jan Olav

The ( beautiful ) mystery vessel in Helnesund is my beloved Ex swedish minesweeper "Gassten" . Built at Knippla shipyard in 1973 and sold to me in 2000 .I have owned it and partly lived onboard and maintained this vessel for the past 10 years.She is mostly moored in Bodo at the last wooden pier on the breakwater.I however grew up in Helnesund and we visit every summer. She is probably one of the best preserved wooden vessels of this caliber left in Norway.At present I am Captain of the Jewel of the Seas from RCCL.I am a former coleague of you from the S/S Norway.I joined the 3 cruise she went out of Miami in 1980 and I stayed untill 1986.Myself Gulleik Svalastog ( presently Captain Color Magic) Arne Jorgensen,Jan Kristiansen,and Carl Skau was of the original complement of First Officers there. Pls write if you want more info on the Gassten,or of the early S/S Norway years.I enjoy your website alot and so does the rest of the mangemen onbord " Jewel "

Greetings, Stig

Jewel of the Seas

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

...so this is a fine family...
                Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Which ship is this???
                  Still unsolved!!!................

Comment

This one have not been identified yet. I believe she is Norwegian, possibly Fred Olsen???
                    Still unsolved!!!!.....................

Comment

Another unknown ship for good measure:

Comment

Another unknown ship for good measure:

Is that a Swiss flag? A lake?

Comment

Is that a Swiss flag? A lake?
                          Not Swiss flag, but a lake, yes.

PS> Welcome back on the forum.

Comment

Which ship is this???
                            I think that is the Voltaire of the Lampert & Holt Lines, built in 1923, converted to cruising in 1932 and sunk in WW2 in 1941.

Comment

Looks right to me. Unless somebody has a different opinion, I'll declare this one solved.

Comment

Monte Rosa ?

Two suggestion already back on my query, both suggesting the Monte Olivia, 1924:

or Monte Sarmiento, 1925:

Both these vessels were German and did some cruising in the 1930s.

There was an earlier suggestion that it was a White Star liner. (ex Zeppelin):

Here is something that makes that very unlikely as she was only with White Star Line for a short while and much too early to make this possible:

I don't think this can be declared solved yet though.
                                I bring back this as I have just looked at a book of Widerøe's (airline) history.

The German liner "Monte Rosa" is mentioned as having been in the Sognefjord, summers of 1935 or 1936.
                                This vessel later became the British "Empire Windrush".
                                In the book is a picture with a ship and a Widerøe aeroplane.
                                This looks much like the other "Monte" vessels above.

A little on the side:
                                Due to currency restrictions, the German passengers were allowed to exchange into NOK 10 in coins only.
                                Many used these to have a flight.
                                By the end of the day, the aeroplane got so heavy that the pilot had to consider reducing passenger numbers on each flight.

Comment

Working...
                                X