Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown Vessel, anyone know?

Hi.

I found this picture on the internet of an unknown cruiseship headed for Geiranger. The year is also unknown.. Anyone who can help???

Picture taken by : Olav Storegjerde
    "I may not be able to control the wind, but I can adjust my sails."

Enthusiastically regards
    Torbjørn Nybø

Maybe SS France (IV)?
    Last edited by matdark; December 22nd, 2008, 02:31.

Comment

Yes, it could be her.. Looks very similar. But i think the bridge looks taller on the first picture..

Enthusiastically regards
      Torbjørn Nybø

Comment

I think the picture does closely echo that of the SS FRANCE of 1912. There were 14 ocean liners built with 4 funnels/stacks. The only thing that discounts this being the SS FRANCE is the break in appearance of the forecastle deck and the forward superstructure while the FRANCE didn't have this as seen in the posted illustration.
        We can rule out the 5 German ship since their funnels were fitted in pairs. We know its not the TITANIC, and the stern has too great length to be the OLYMPIC or BRITTANIC. The AQUITANIA, and MAURETANIA are two possible candidates as well. The LUSITANIA I don't think had time to cruise and break from the transatlantic life before she sank in 1915.

If I was a betting man, I would put my bets on the FRANCE, maybe she has a refit that gave her that look in the bow.
        Last edited by Captain RJ; December 23rd, 2008, 01:39.

Comment

Thank you for your help. When looking at the ships that you mentioned, I think the RMS Aquitania is the one that looks most alike the one on the picture.

The RMS Mauretania has a different look with taller funnels, maybe it looks more like the France...

Enthusiastically regards
          Torbjørn Nybø

Comment

Your welcome sir. I think its too hard to say for sure since the bow area is throwing me off and making conclusions a bit difficult.

Comment

the aquitania funnels seem to be too high... Definitely not the Mauretania! The France spent her last years cruising, and her long stern and somewhat short funnels seem to match. I'm not sure there's an actual "break" between the forecastle and the superstructure, what bothers me more is the apparently taller bridge... I'll keep on looking!

edit: made a little photoshop edit, scaled another pic of the France and I'm pretty sure it's her

Last edited by matdark; December 24th, 2008, 01:54.

Comment

Thank you very much for that photoshop edit!! I'm starting to believe that it could be the France now.

Enthusiastically regards
                Torbjørn Nybø

Comment

Unkown veteran vessel in Nordland County

Unkown veteran vessel in Nordland County

Did not pay attention to write down and record the name of this good looking veteran vessel recently, just north of Bodø:

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                  Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                  Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                  Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Ooohs and aaaahs....sort of like at a fireworks display.

Love old wooded boats. So much upkeep, but I'm glad someone maintains them....

Comment

I observe the streamer of Forbundet Kysten in the main forward mast.
                      That must mean that this vessel attended Landsstevnet 2009 at Vega in July.
                      I also observe that the stern is just like they had on old sailing jakt (old norwegian boat) and that this vessel is rebuilt as a motorized vessel to meet the modern times after sail.

If so..., puh......, this must be "Anne Bro" owned by Vågan Kystlag, rebuilt to engine propultion in 1925.

Does "Anne Bro" ring a bell, Jan-Olav..?
                      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

I knew he knew it.... how could i come to this idea???
                        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

This is indeed "Anne Bro"
                          Web site to http://www.vagan-kystlag.no/ only in Norwegian
                          Best wishes from
                          Bengt Domben

Comment

I remember only that the name was in two words... so Anne Bro could be right.

I thought it was longer though... hmmm.... I think the image was taken on the way from Svolvaer on July 12th .... just south of Brennsund on the way to Bodo.

But you are probably right... I didn't have time to bite a mark in my notebook..
                            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                            Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                            Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Sterkoder....you are amazing.

Comment

Working...
                              X