No announcement yet.

Veteran vessel Hansteen of Trondhjem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am delighted to read that you were so pleased with my efforts to give a different perspective to your magical Adventure Voyage

Exactly as I thought, the departure was sure to be well reported, which was why I decided to start with views from a different location. So now I am able to have a different perspective myself, as I catch up on the departure with these links :-) Thank you!

Comment

The last day of the voyage defeated me, at least as regards the day's activities that Sunday. I had looked into taking the hurtigbåt ferry across the Trondheimsfjord to Vanviken, and then a bus to Leksvik where SDS Hansteen would be during the afternoon. But although I could have returned that route, there isn't a connecting bus from Vanviken on a Sunday to get to Leksvik.
      Had I not had been successful in seeing Hansteen on the previous days I might have tried to book a taxi from Vansviken, whatever the expense. But after my wonderful two days I decided to simply be at Brattøra that evening to see her safely back in Trondheim. It was inclement weather in Trondheim (with recurring periods of torrential rain) and I didn't know what it might be like up the fjord to potentially affect Hansteen's schedule.

So that morning I took a walk to Ila which seems to have been similar, or even exactly the same, as the walk Sterkoder later describes in the Trondheim thread ( #1386) and in similarly wet weather!
      After returning to the hotel (Radisson Royal Garden) to get dry, I dashed across to the maritime museum (Trondhjems Sjøfartsmuseum) which, astonishingly, I had never visited before in my many visits to Trondheim! I very much enjoyed it, and I was also able to purchase some SDS Hansteen souvenirs!

Later, from the terrace of a restaurant at Solsidan, I alternately basked in hot sunshine and retreated farther under the awning during dramatic monsoon-like rain showers! But by evening it was calmer, though cloudy as I headed for Brattøra.

Here she comes!

2018-08-05-1804-35 by LadyCgull, on Flickr

Comment

It was rather like that first afternoon, following the ship along to get different viewpoints.

2018-08-05-1804-46 by LadyCgull, on Flickr

2018-08-05-1806-51 by LadyCgull, on Flickr

I waited to get the ship entering the basin.

2018-08-05-1807-10-e by LadyCgull, on Flickr

Comment

2018-08-05-1807-21 by LadyCgull, on Flickr

2018-08-05-1807-33 by LadyCgull, on Flickr

Dark clouds, but a little light rain...

...and Captain is dressed accordingly.

2018-08-05-1807-47-e by LadyCgull, on Flickr

Comment

The rain, having reduced to a mere drizzle, has now ceased, and Captain has taken off his jacket.

2018-08-05-1810-01 by LadyCgull, on Flickr

2018-08-05-1810-18 by LadyCgull, on Flickr

2018-08-05-1810-32 by LadyCgull, on Flickr

Although the light wasn't great, I even managed some close-ups.

2018-08-05-1811-01 by LadyCgull, on Flickr

Comment

2018-08-05-1812-23 by LadyCgull, on Flickr

Hansteen was attracting a bit of attention as she past by the boat terminal.

2018-08-05-1813-41 by LadyCgull, on Flickr

Rather a nice sight, the colour of the funnel seen against the turquoise-tinted glass, and I managed to place Captain with a light background.

2018-08-05-1813-58 by LadyCgull, on Flickr

2018-08-05-1820-22 by LadyCgull, on Flickr

Comment

And so the ship arrived back at her mooring place.

2018-08-05-1821-35 by LadyCgull, on Flickr

2018-08-05-1822-26 by LadyCgull, on Flickr

2018-08-05-1822-38 by LadyCgull, on Flickr

Comment

2018-08-05-1823-37 by LadyCgull, on Flickr

Ah, I think Captain has just spotted me, perhaps surprised, but I think pleased, that I was there to see the ship safely home.

2018-08-05-1824-46 by LadyCgull, on Flickr

2018-08-05-1826-17 by LadyCgull, on Flickr

So pleased to get another chance to capture a taking in the bell photo!

Comment

2018-08-05-1826-06 by LadyCgull, on Flickr

I wasn't the only person around to welcome the ship's crew back.

2018-08-05-1846-07 by LadyCgull, on Flickr

2018-08-05-1847-26 by LadyCgull, on Flickr

And so the time had come to take a final two moody images in the evening light to complete my memories of this magical voyage.

Comment

Such a great repot about a great cruise!! This is truly a cv highlight! If you are following the fishers traces to lofoten islands, let me know. I want to join this trip!!
                      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                        Such a great repot about a great cruise!! This is truly a cv highlight! If you are following the fishers traces to lofoten islands, let me know. I want to join this trip!!
                        Thank you so much for sharing these wonderful photos from what is probably one of the most magical commands I have ever had in my life so far.

Awww.... Ralf... really? A CVF highlight? You are way too kind as usual.

More trips will be planned for Hansteen but probably not before next year - there are talks of another trip in September, a one day fjord-trip, but it won't be me commanding as I will be on the other side of the world that day. If I ever get a chance like this again, only time will tell.

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Ralf__
                          Ralf__ commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You know, the difference between a "normal" report or story and this event was: you have been a part of it. And Lady C did all the way over from Scotland to take such pictures by herself! Show me another forum, which can show such "insider-views". Yes - a highlight! Sure. Not by kindness.

Thank you Ralf... even for me, it is really interesting to see these pictures, because it puts a wider perspective on my three day magical journey. I see things from a viewpoint of others - hence greater insight.

Wonderful memory indeed.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                          ....there are talks of another trip in September, a one day fjord-trip, but it won't be me commanding as I will be on the other side of the world that day...
                          With my attention on "the other side of the world", where I was also following the approaching typhoon in the Philippines and the Formula 1 in Singapore, I had forgotten to check Trondheim websites such as the maritime museum's for any hint of a Hansteen trip.

However I must have left Marine Traffic notifications switched on, which alerted me that she was on the move. So here is the track of the ship I subsequently saved from Thursday 13th September.

MarineTraffic

The notification "DS HANSTEEN departed from Port TRONDHEIM at 2018-09-13 17:25 Local Time (2018-09-13 15:25 UTC)" showed up when the ship was already close to the corner of the hurtigruten car park.
                          But looking at magnified detail of the whole track later, it showed that in the early afternoon the ship was turning round at Brattøra so as to face the way out, and that she actually set off from the pier at shortly after 17:00 Local Time. She was back by 19:00.

I don't actually know if this was an actual excursion or just a test run.

Comment

This was a test run with member of the board of the Hansteen foundation. I was invited to join the trip but it was rather difficult with me being on another work assignment for my own company at the other side of the world.

Comment

Glad you got to record her little spin around the port though.

Comment

Working...
                              X