Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Bodø during the summer of 2010, August:

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Just by pure luck i was able to capture the annual slipping of Gamle Salten today.

Turning inbound:

Lots of maneuvering before they manged to thread the needle, the old Polar diesel made a fantastic sound!

Going up!
      Walking in the shadow of the blues

Comment

WOW, just how lucky was that!!!!!!!!
        Great photos, and fascinating to see the manoeuvres required in this operation.

Comment

SPLENDID!

Those are really beautifully executed, and very informative as well. I would love to have witnessed that myself, but since you were "on location", you gave me the opprotunity to see it!

Thank you so very much for sharing those great shots.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Would love to see photos from the engine room as well as various crew quarters and cabins.
            Next time in Bodø I will be sure to look up Gamle Salten.

Comment

Re: ex-Salten, Gamle Salten

A magnificent restoration job - the accommodation views are most inviting. These two photos were taken in July 1974 and June 1975, when she was based at Kristiansand, as 'Sjøkurs' . . . and long before I knew anything about her history. in those days Fred. Olsen's 'Braemar', en route from Newcastle to Oslo, used to spend a couple of hours in Kristiansand, and passengers were given shre leave with the minimum of customs and immigration formalities. During the evening we were then treated to a slow speed run through the Indre Led at Arendal, on the glorious pretext that 'It's a beautiful summer's evening, and we're making very good time'. End of an era . . .

Comment

Imagine if this ship could do Norwegian Fjord Cruises along the Norwegian Coast in the summer time... that would be absolutely awesome!

Comment

A few from the last weeks:

Not really satisfied with this one, too much light pollution in the foreground and uneven lighting of the boat itself. The xmaslights could use a bulb change too

Note the cloud in the background.

My favorite, a slight mist and rain created a nice effect. Could do without the blue neon though

Comment

Originally posted by Speedbird View Post
                    My favorite, a slight mist and rain created a nice effect. Could do without the blue neon though
                    Agree, but you've made the best of the situation by framing in the neon lights around the ship.

Comment

Thanks Tommi, i tried to exclude them but the image became too cramped. I guess including hem gives a mix between the new and old...in some strange way.

Anyway here`s a repetition of a picture i took last year that i accidentally deleted the RAW file for.
                      Todays attempt at a replacement:

Comment

Thanks Tommi, i tried to exclude them but the image became too cramped. I guess including hem gives a mix between the new and old...in some strange way.

Anyway here`s a repetition of a picture i took last year that i accidentally deleted the RAW file for.
                        Todays attempt at a replacement:

That is one of the ABSOLUTELY most beautiful shots I have seen of this ship!

Comment

Superb by Speedbird, naturally:

Gamle Salten high and dry:

Comment

Today I finally got the chance to board "Gamle Salten". I was driving a company to an event on board. And I sneaked myself onboard to take a short look few minutes before departure.

My pictures are shot in a hurry during just a few minutes with a small pocket-camera. And with no time to look at good photo-angles. But at least I got a few glimpse of the interior of this beautiful vessel, before I had to leave the ship.

To take a look at the interior, I had to pretend I was "one of them". And we went upstairs

Comment

The decks-plan is quite familiar to the old Hurtigrute-ships. So I was able to find all the lounges quite fast.

Front lounge (old 1.class)

With a beautiful old radio

Our old King Haakon VII was present

And also an old "jukebox"

Comment

Aft lounge at the upper deck. I guess this was the 2.class dining-room when the ships was sailing as a Hurtigrute from 1953 to 1964.

This is now a conference-room with modern multi-media and flat-screens.

The stair-way down to the old 2.class lounge has a beatiful painting of "Salten" in my type of weather.......

Aft-lounge at the shelterdeck

View ot of the window

Comment

Working...
                                X