Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ex-USS PCE833, ex-HMS Kilham, ex-Sognefjord, ex-Orion, ex-Orion II, ex-Corona, Orient Explorer /+ sisters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paul Cobb View Post
    ... Who knows, if we can loan one or two of his navy photos, we might add them on here one day!
    It would be great if any other relatives of Kilham crew peeked in on here and contributed!
    I very much hope so on both counts.
    Elizabeth has expressed my thoughts better than I ever could – just be assured that there are many of us who, while not having any direct contribution to add to this thread, are avidly reading and appreciating every word.
    Thank you Paul and Barry for making CV the place to record this part of your father's life for posterity.

Comment

m/s orion

removed personal photos
      Last edited by orionboy; July 30th, 2010, 23:33.

Comment

m/s orion

removed personal photos
        Last edited by orionboy; July 30th, 2010, 23:33.

Comment

m/s orion

Adding some information or correcting. altough my father was true owner of orion all the ten years(1987-1997)through different named companies and 1995-1997 the ship was namely owned my brother and the correct name is: jaakko mathias eriksson not jaako as there is mistakely written.
          And adding some info to the pce/kil class vessels that i have studied so many years.The series includes also AM (admirable) class minesweepers with same hull as pce class but some of them with different kind of engines(cooper bessemer v8)and some of this where handed over even to the soviet union in 1943 as a landlease.http://www.navsource.org/archives/11/02139.htmher is a link to one of those(the wreck still excist)

Comment

uss incredible am 218/ galaxy

One more intresting site link is here:http://www.radiolondon.co.uk/rl/dens...nsity2003.htmlthere is a story about one of the vessels in this series, serving as a pirate radio station in UK called as "radio london"
            Last edited by orionboy; May 20th, 2009, 20:52.

Comment

Amazing artefacts

Courtesy of Orion Boy this thread is getting better and better. Your historic brochures, adverts and logs are fascinating, and I'm sure our father will be intrigued to see your photos.

I wait in eager anticipation for your next items! Thank you.

Comment

Orient Explorer

This has indeed become a very interesting thread, attracting a lot more interest then I had expected.

Still missing somebody with things to tell from all the years she spent on Bergen - Sogn route. I sent an e-mail to one person I thought may be interested, but to no avail. There must be somebody in Sogn, or in Bergen, that have travelled on her then and have some tails to tell?

I have also invited the present Owner to contribute directly on this forum, but nothing yet. Maybe it is time for another e-mail to Tracy to check on present status.
                Last edited by ombugge; May 21st, 2009, 11:06. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by orionboy View Post
                  part of my collection (books and manuals for kilham/pce 833)
                  Certainly an intriguing and one of the most interesting threads on the forum right now. So much has been learned about this magnificent ship, and I feel vey happy that she hasn't yet been forgotten. So many memories makes her once again come alive!

Would love to see some scans from contents of these manuals... drawings, pictures or similar.
                  With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                  Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

m/s orion

Fuel oil & filling system US navy times for am 136-165 ,am 214-311 and pce 827-847, pce 861-886, pce 891-904 and pce(R)848-866

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                      Elizabeth has expressed my thoughts better than I ever could – just be assured that there are many of us who, while not having any direct contribution to add to this thread, are avidly reading and appreciating every word.
                      These are also my thoughts. I have loved reading through this thread, what a great ship with such an interesting history. And the fact that some of our members have such a close relationship with the ship make's it all the more real and interesting. I have also followed with interest the links concerning her sisters, especially the 'pirate radio' association.
                      I think it will be fantastic if the current owners join in - even more so for Orionboy i should imagine.
                      A big thank you to everyone involved in making this great thread.
                      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

m/s orion

removed personal photos
                        Last edited by orionboy; July 30th, 2010, 23:34.

Comment

I must say, the underwater shape just above the propellers are a bit unusual...

Quite interesting design of the stern..

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

m/s orion/sognefjord

Hello again.

Here is a few pages from a small historic, what Fylkesbaatane made when m/s sognefjord made its last voyage in the sogn.this historic came to finland with the ship and my father gaved it to me in 1991, and what a treasure it was for me.ther is also small stories of all 6 kil-vessels which came to norway, sadly without pics of other 4 sisters , but there is some pics of m/s sunnfjord and m/s sognefjord.

In the last page is a story when Norwegian king olav v visited m/s sunnfjord 1958 when Fylkesbaatane was celebrating its 100 years.

Comment

Some Norwegian pages:

http://home.online.no/~solflind/jonnemann.html

http://www.stp-norway.com/CS/CSM/HVITEFLAATE/HCL/1.htm

http://www.navsource.org/archives/12/02833.htm

Comment

Thank Heavens for cameras, eh?

Orionboy:

Lovely photos Orionboy of the Orion in dry dock revealing portions of her nether regions that would not normally be seen! The pictorial archives that have been presented have far surpassed my greatest expectations of what may have been available.

Pakarang:

Your 2nd Norwegian link shows some great views of some of the Kil class vessels. I especially like the first airial pik that shows one boat in full steam with all hands on deck being busy. Were that pce 833 (Kilham) one of those crew may well be our father! but I don't think it is Kilham.

Will it be hoping for too much that even more may come to light? Or am I being greedy?

Thanks once again.

Comment

Working...
                                X