Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ex-USS PCE833, ex-HMS Kilham, ex-Sognefjord, ex-Orion, ex-Orion II, ex-Corona, Orient Explorer /+ sisters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Valldal

There is a group of people who want to bring her back.
    You can find them here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2156.../?notif_t=like

Comment

Re: ex-USS PCE833, ex-HMS Kilham, ex-Sognefjord, ex-Orion, ex-Orion II, ex-Corona, Orient Explorer /+ sisters

Flying in to Kota Kinabalu today I noticed that the Orient Explorer were in her normal anchorage off Sutera Harbour.

Since I had a couple of hours waiting time before my flight to Labuan, I took a taxi to see if I could get a few pictures of her. (I could not get on board this time though)

Here is what I managed to get. Since the SW monsoon is well established, she didn't turn much at her anchor:

Comment

Re: ex-USS PCE833, ex-HMS Kilham, ex-Sognefjord, ex-Orion, ex-Orion II, ex-Corona, Orient Explorer /+ sisters

I did not see her at her regular anchorage when passing though KK on the way.
        That is a good sign, indicating that she is taking people out for the diving experience of a life time, somewhere off Sabah.

Comment

Thanks for the update, Ombugge.

She's still looking ok. Guess you're right about her being in use - or sold!

Is Tracy still contactable for her update?

Comment

Still looking majestic... !

Thank you heartfelt for the update, ombugge!
            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Cobb View Post
              Thanks for the update, Ombugge.

She's still looking ok. Guess you're right about her being in use - or sold!

Is Tracy still contactable for her update?
              I have not received any reply on my last e-mail to Tracy. That is some time back though.

Comment

Just been looking through this great thread again, i cannot help but wonder what the state of play is at the moment. Does anyone know anything new?
                Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Hi Everyone. I found this forum while researching this vessel. I am looking into purchasing the Orient Explorer and this thread has been a great source of information. Does anyone on here have contact information for the current owner? I have been dealing with a broker but he seems to have limited information. I would like to learn more about the true current condition of her and talking to the owner would help us quite a bit in determining information such as minimum crew requirements for getting her to our home port of New Orleans.

Any information would be a great help to us!

Also since I know the questions are coming...

Our planned use for this vessel: I am heading up a project whose goal it is to test and demonstrate various technologies and products which will allow existing commercial marine vessels to greatly lower their environmental impact (meeting or exceeding present and future MARPOL requirements even for exempted vessels) while drastically reducing fuel consumption and cutting operating costs. Our goal is to provide access to a series of independent and/or integrated improvements that lower the costs of ownership and operations for older vessels and allow operators to be more competitive with new build vessels in this modern marketplace of ever rising fuel costs and increasingly stringent environmental regulations.

We are planning to use two vessels for testing and demonstration purposes. The first is a smaller research vessel (126' LOA with 10' draft) and will be the main testing vessel for our various products and technologies. Lessons learned from sea trials will allow us to work out the bugs and develop an ideal setup. We will then use this information and refit our second vessel (we hope it will be Orient Explorer) as a showpiece of these proven technologies.

For both vessels this will of course be done in such a way as to complement the classic styling and design of the vessels rather than change the ship to fit the technology. The eventual restoration and refit of Orient Explorer would involve remodeling of her common spaces to a higher level of fit and finish than is reflected in her current interior design with many of the open areas used as display space for showcasing the techs on board at trade / boat shows and to industry as well as for classroom and training spaces. Most of the passenger cabins would be retained although some consolidated and all upgraded to more modern and comfortable standards (she'd carry few people but the ride would be a lot nicer and since she'll normally use zero fuel, we wouldn't need that many passengers to be profitable).

For those of you with memories of this ship and hoping to see her back in your home port, our plan involves her (in finished form) spending a few years circumnavigating the globe and touring various ports as a demonstration vessel so hopefully if all goes well we'd be able to have you all back on board sometime in the future.

Comment

Dear Sir,

I would try to contact our dear member ombugge (located in Singapore I think), he is the safest source of information I think.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                      Dear Sir,

I would try to contact our dear member ombugge (located in Singapore I think), he is the safest source of information I think.
                      I'm in communication with Drew.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                        I'm in communication with Drew.
                        Wonderful... thank you so much, ombugge!

Comment

With a little luck I'll have a look on this one again tomorrow.

Comment

She is still at her normal place off Suteara Harbour, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah:

I did not get to go on board, but during the abt. 2 hrs. I was watching I did not see any boat approaching, or any activity on board.

Comment

She looks so sad.... so far(?) off the coast at anchor and so alone. Such a beautiful ship!

Comment

She is still there, but I only got some blurred pictures taken through the airplane window when coming home today.

The anchorage is actually not that far out from the beach, with islands outside and reefs all around.

Comment

Working...
                                X