Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ex-USS PCE833, ex-HMS Kilham, ex-Sognefjord, ex-Orion, ex-Orion II, ex-Corona, Orient Explorer /+ sisters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome back Orionboy. Let us see if we can keep this site alive and, if you have the time, maybe reinstate the pictures that disappeared with your departure. That was what made this forum interesting to many, not only members.

Comment

Some pics

Here`s two pictures from OE`S previous life

Sognefjord and Sunnfjord in nykirkekaien 1965 at Bergen Norway
      This photo is from Lars Helge Isdahl

And this one taken in summer 1988. Orion is heading to Vyborg USSR with full load of passengers.

Comment

Welcome home orionboy!

We are always so happy to see you come and join us.

What is the current status of this vessel today? Is she still for sale, whom is her agent and where is she situated?
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

ex USS PCE-830, ex HMS Kilchernan, ex M/S Sunnhordland , ex Kristina Brahe, Now named M/S Brahe by her new owners is about to start new cruise season in Finland. Here is a page about the ship by the new owner Saimaa Travel: http://www.saimaatravel.fi/en/ms-brahe-en

At her new home port Lappeenranta still with former owners livery.

I remember sometimes in the early 90's these sisters Orion and Kristina Brahe collided while on the anchor on Gulf of Vyborg and broke some glass but no major damage.

Nice new picture: http://photos.marinetraffic.com/ais/...6496&size=full
          Last edited by KristinaBrahe; May 11th, 2011, 08:28.

Comment

A hearty welcome back to the site, Orionboy!

Hope all is well and that you can reinstate some of your old piks.

17pp, 335 posts but many more readings mean there is still so much interest in the thread.

Comment

Re: ex-USS PCE833, ex-HMS Kilham, ex-Sognefjord, ex-Orion, ex-Orion II, ex-Corona, Orient Explorer /+ sisters

For those that read Norwegian, you may want to consider signing up for M/S Sognefjord group on facebook which seriously wishes to bring her home to Norway.

The discussions and dreams are being talked of on this active Norwegian language page.

Search for M/S Sognefjord once inside facebook.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Re: ex-USS PCE833, ex-HMS Kilham, ex-Sognefjord, ex-Orion, ex-Orion II, ex-Corona, Orient Explorer /+ sisters

For those that read Norwegian, you may want to consider signing up for M/S Sognefjord group on facebook which seriously wishes to bring her home to Norway.

The discussions and dreams are being talked of on this active Norwegian language page.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post

From the facebook group... :

Comment

Brought back to Norway? Certainly nearer to visit than where she is at present.

Bet she'd find the seas a bit colder on her nether regions, though!

Comment

I transited in Kota Kinabalu today on the way to Labuan.
                      No time for a visit to Sutera Resort, but I did not see the Orient Explorer at her "normal" anchorage.
                      Is that a good sign or a bad sign??? I don,t know the answer to that one.

Comment

As far as I know, she is in dry dock somewhere at the moment, or at a shipyard, listed for sale.

I do not have the latest details and I do not guarantee my information, as it is also a little while since I heard about the ship.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                          As far as I know, she is in dry dock somewhere at the moment, or at a shipyard, listed for sale.

I do not have the latest details and I do not guarantee my information, as it is also a little while since I heard about the ship.
                          She is not on the nearest shipyard, which is in Labuan, that is for sure.

Comment

Dry dock seems strange as she had a recent major overhaul, but could be for a range of reasons I guess. If she's up for sale, is it a standard procedure to have her in dry dock to allow more thorough inspection?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Cobb View Post
                              Dry dock seems strange as she had a recent major overhaul, but could be for a range of reasons I guess. If she's up for sale, is it a standard procedure to have her in dry dock to allow more thorough inspection?
                              Yes it is standard, especially for old vessels like this. I'm waiting for some info from a new source.

Comment

Re: Valldal

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                                Yes, I was aware of the Valldal and that these two vessels were similar.
                                I think there was at least one more of this type, in Rogaland or Hordaland?
                                Maybe somebody with a long memory can enlighten us?

I was very familiar with the Valldal and have travelled on her many times in my youth. For some reason she was always painted gray, although MRF's hull colour was black.

She was used as the first "Tourist Ferry" in Geirangerfjord, I believe?
                                Sad to see that she sunk in/off Scottland in 1975.

Don't worry about "taking over" the thread by posting additional info. I thought that was what these forums were for?
                                Remember this post at the very start of this thread?
                                Not a "sister", but very similar to the bigger PCEs converted to car ferries.

On another forum there were question about a Survey Vessel in the early days of North Sea exploration which had originally been a US "Sub Chaser, or something".

Of cause I added two and two together and got five.
                                The Valldal was converted to Survey cum Dive Support vessel in 1972 and sunk off Scotland in 1975.
                                I think this is the vessel he was looking for.
                                Waiting to seen the reaction.

Comment

Working...
                                X