Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ex-USS PCE833, ex-HMS Kilham, ex-Sognefjord, ex-Orion, ex-Orion II, ex-Corona, Orient Explorer /+ sisters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absolutely fantastic.... easy to see her heritage!
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Orionboy:

I had been wondering why you hadn't been posting in this thread with your usual frequency. What with the Orion having been such a large part of your life, childhood and family history, I know that this ship means so much to you. Without knowing what exchanges have occurred between Eliham and yourself, I sincerely hope you can rise above what has upset you and reconsider your decision.

You are in a unique position to have been able to supply such a wealth of information on a sizeable chunk of the history of Orion, and both Barry and myself have been both fascinated and thankful for your contributions which had made this thread the single and most leading informative source on this vessel on the whole internet!

I know you were glad to glean as much information as you could for future plans re a book, and recent pictorial contributions from Ombugge have only added to that. It would be a tremendous loss to yourself and the thread if you continue with your decision to leave, so we hope you change your mind.

However, if you persevere with your planned course, then on behalf of Barry, myself and our father, 'Smokey Stover', thank you for your posts, photographs, stories and well-researched links to other sites that have often been superb nuggets of information. Good luck for the future.

Paul, Barry and Dennis Cobb

Comment

Pakarang wrote:
        I can't help but thinking (and dreaming) how incredibly cool it would be to see this vessel do exclusive cruises along the Norwegian Coast in the summer season. I would for one love to be a navigator (a Captain) of such a journey and have all the CVF members as guests on board... Imagine this beautiful veteran sailing in to Geiranger a beautiful summers day under blue skies!
        No way I want to be a guest....

I want to be right back where I belong and spent countless hours as in below picture, taken in 1982

Comment

Steering on PCE's

Ombugge wrote:
          The Steering Gear and Hydraulic system is still the original. (I'm not sure if the Electric steering control was original (see earlier pics from the bridge) but, from pictures posted by Orionboy, it appears to have been there when the ship was in Finland. Maybe Orionboy could confirm???
          Edit: There is detailed drawing of the original steering arrangement from the HMS Kilham, which appears to be the same.
          and

Paul wrote:
          The normal steering had been destroyed, so it meant crew going down through a hatch at the stern and standing in 3' of water adjacent to the gaping hole through which seaspray was blowing, and hand manoevering the rudder by turning the wheel of the after steering. It took them 6 days steering in this fashion travelling up to Dakar Dry Dock for repair, which laid the ship up for about 2 weeks."

Would any of the steering photos relate to this 'after steering'?
          One post down is a picture of the wheelhouse aboard HNLMS Jaguar, showing the original "wheel", and as far as I can tell, identical to the wheel aboard the Orient Explorer, as shown in ombugge's pictures.

This wheel electrically "tells" the steering gear motor (forward engine room), as shown in Ombugge's picture, what to do. (the chrome knob in the center of the wheel could be pulled out, to let it freewheel, which was done when the secondary or last resort means of steering where used)

As you can see in previous posts picture, during normal watch rotations, my duty was helmsman. During GQ exercises and narrow waters maneuvering (like entering and leaving ports), my duty station was in the emergency steering room (right above the rudders, all the way astern).

Upon entering through the watertight door, immediately of to the left, so over starboard, was the emergency steering station, to be used if the normal helm in the wheelhouse was out of order. It consisted of a Sperry gyro compass repeater, rudder angle indicator, sound-power telephone, and a "joystick" like device with which to steer. This was again electrically connected to the steering gear motor in the forward engine room. Helm orders came in over the sound-powered headset, and you blindly (literally) did as ordered.

I am including Ombugge's picture again for ease of reading:

When all electric steering was out of order, the last resort was as follows:

A crew of six hooked up block and tackle to each side of a big gear, sitting in the middle of the emergency steering room, connected to the steel rod connecting the two rudder pintles. Orders again where received by sound-power and followed up by either pulling on starboard block and tackle, or port's......

Thank God we didn't practice this much as it was very hard work due to the cramped quarters
          Last edited by ThePimster; August 6th, 2010, 15:57.

Comment

So, the emergency or 'after steering' compartment sounds like a hell hole!

Thanks for this insight, Pimster.

Comment

Things have gone very quiet on this thread, now.

Is there any news on the sale through Yachtworld.com I wonder?

Anyone heard anything?

Comment

Sorry Paul, I don't have any sale news, but your post reminded me of a question I was going to answer:

pilotdane asked:
                The manual lever on the front end of each main engine. I assume that moved the cams to run in reverse? Do they have to stop the engine to reverse?
                and

ombugge answered:
                The Main Engines can be controlled from the Bridge, which was a bit of a surprise. There is also a gear, so most likely reversing the propeller shafts would be in the gear box. (Ahead - neutral - astern)
                The manual handle on the engines would thus be for emergency operation and possibly for starting and stopping the engines.
                Belows is a picrture of discussed "gashandle" (this one on the Port main engine in the rear engine room aboard HNLMS jaguar)

While the gashandle was used to start and stop the engine (and indeed emergency operation), the engines were not controlled from the bridge, but rather from the wheelhouse. The "controllers" painted red and green in this case, can be seen in the picture of me in the wheelhouse, a couple of posts down.

The gearbox had a awkward and maintenance prone pneumatic clutch. The engine had to be brought to idle (not stopped) before reversing direction.

Below picture shows the time we should take changing i.e. from 1/3 to 2/3 etc.

I think Norwegian is close enough to Dutch for me to get away with posting this picture without translation , If not, I'll be happy to translate. This was glued to the bulkhead in front of the controllers in the wheelhouse, and became a souvenir when it became known the Jaguar was being decomissioned

Comment

Originally posted by ThePimster View Post
                  While the gashandle was used to start and stop the engine (and indeed emergency operation), the engines were not controlled from the bridge, but rather from the wheelhouse. The "controllers" painted red and green in this case, can be seen in the picture of me in the wheelhouse, a couple of posts down.
                  Bridge and Wheelhouse is two terms for the same place, used interchangeable. Actually Bridge includes the open wings, while Wheelhouse (Pilothouse in American) is just the enclosed bit in the middle.

In your pics of the original PCE wheelhouse/bridge the Engine Controls are on port side, while after conversion they are on Stbd. side:

The reason for this was probably because Stbd. side has precedence over Port when it comes to importance for good look-out.

On Port side is the Engine Telegraph, which could be used in case the Bridge Controls malfunctioned:

The Engineer on duty would then reply the order by the Telegraph repeaters in the Engine Rooms:

Since there are two Engine Rooms, there had to be two Engineers to operate the engines during such times.

The Engineers would adjust Engine speed (RPM) by the throttles (Gas-handle):

And the direction via the clutch and gear:

Now that would not be an easy and quick operation.

The gearbox had a awkward and maintenance prone pneumatic clutch. The engine had to be brought to idle (not stopped) before reversing direction.

Below picture shows the time we should take changing i.e. from 1/3 to 2/3 etc.
                  Looking at the time it took to adjust RPMs, the it took to from Stop to Full, these vessels must have been difficult to maneuver when using the Telegraphs.
                  From full ahead to full astern would take a loooong time. When in a tight spot it would feel like an eternity. (I know, I have experienced it)

I don't know how the Bridge controls functioned, but probably by wire pulls and push rods, as can be seen here:

No electronics at that time.

Comment

Bridge and Wheelhouse is two terms for the same place, used interchangeable. Actually Bridge includes the open wings, while Wheelhouse (Pilothouse in American) is just the enclosed bit in the middle.
                    Well, we can agree on at least two things:

1) The wheelhouse was indeed called "Pilot House" as shown in another souvenir I saved from the scrapyard. As my kids would say "my bad" :

2) We got this thread going again

But I have to disagree when you say that "bridge and wheelhouse" are two interchangeable terms for the same place.

Although I understand that this is currently the case with the Orient Explorer, but when she was hazegrey, underway and known as the PCE-833 or HMS Kilham, they were two distinctly different places. The bridge, as shown in below picture (in this case the Jaguar's, but otherwise identical to the PCE-833's) was open, cold and officer territory:

The front of the bridge had a stepdown into the sonar room, underneath which was the pilot house, which was enclosed, comfy and ratings only!

When they "remodelled" her superstructure, they did away with the bridge...

Comment

Originally posted by ThePimster View Post
                      But I have to disagree when you say that "bridge and wheelhouse" are two interchangeable terms for the same place.
                      That is the case on "normal" ships. (I.e. not man-o-war)
                      The time of open bridges on merchant ships was over in the 1930s/40s.

I have experience from standing on the open bridge of MTBs going at 36 kts. against the weather in the North of Norway in the middle of winter, so I do know it is COOOOOLD!!!

Comment

Does anybody know if there is any news of the progress with the sale of this ship?

I am now out of the loop. It would be good to have an update by the next time I can get to the local library!

Cheers all!

Comment

Shame to see the thread die a death. Orionboy has obviously kept to his word to sever his connections with the site, and I can no longer access the site on my computer since the upgrade. It would be good for an update on the sale of the Orient Explorer if anyone can help.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Cobb View Post
                            Shame to see the thread die a death. Orionboy has obviously kept to his word to sever his connections with the site, and I can no longer access the site on my computer since the upgrade. It would be good for an update on the sale of the Orient Explorer if anyone can help.
                            OOOPs, it may be my fault. I was supposed to contact Tracy for update but haven't followed up yet. I will do so a.s.a.p.

I don't understand why the upgrade should change your access to the site. Have you tried to just access as a guest and log on.
                            If that doesn't work, maybe you could re-apply for membership, if necessary??

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                              OOOPs, it may be my fault. I was supposed to contact Tracy for update but haven't followed up yet. I will do so a.s.a.p.
                              OK, I have finally got around to send an e-mail to Tracy at Sensi Borneo to enquire about the status of OE and the rumors about sale.
                              Hopefully I will have a reply in the not too far future, which will be posted here.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post

I don't understand why the upgrade should change your access to the site. Have you tried to just access as a guest and log on.
                                If that doesn't work, maybe you could re-apply for membership, if necessary??

Thanks, Ombugge, for chasing this up with Tracy - hope she replies. I'm intrigued to know why, after all their renovation work and costs, why they then wish to offload the ship.

The lack of access to the site is a compatibility issue with my old Mac and the platform I use on it. I can get TO the Captain's Voyage site, but if I then try to click on ANY thread/topic/log in, the internet locks on me and I have to reboot - and the same continues to happen. This only happened after the upgrade. The same also happened with a football forum I was/am a member of. At the same time our PC also packed up working. Am currently out of work so computer replacement isn't an option. Hence my visits to local libraries - but one can never tell if there is a 'puter free or if there will be a queue - and there is regularly somebody looking over your shoulder to see why you are on a site OTHER than Facebook!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X