Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ex-USS PCE833, ex-HMS Kilham, ex-Sognefjord, ex-Orion, ex-Orion II, ex-Corona, Orient Explorer /+ sisters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
    I notice that this thread has had over 10,000 views, so it is obviously a great interest in this subject from around the world. (Or is it mostly from Sogn?)
    This thread has really taken off lately. When I looked just now there were 10,606 viewings, of which abt. 250-300 today, so far.
    Of the 30 some odd guests that was on the forum, more than half was on this thread, (Not counting "institutional" guests, like Yahoo, Google Spider etc.)

Then I opened my e-mail and found out why. There was a reply to an e-mail I sent yesterday to NRK S&F, informing me that they had run an article about the Sognefjord, with one of my pictures and with a link to CVF.
    I think Paul is right, most of the visitors is probably from Sogn. Let us hope we get some new contributors as well.

Comment

Well it is not surprising this thread is so popular, it is just so darn interesting! Just so much history contained in this thread, and ombugge's fantastic photos bring us right up to date. Photos like these are just so important when it comes to recording a vessels history. For anyone with an interest in this vessel, this thread is like a gold mine of information.
      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

sprinkler system

Another installment of pictures from my visit on board.

The Sprinkler System is also probably something installed along the line:

There doesn't appear to be a clear knowledge of when the Sprinkler system was installed, but is bound to have been fairly recently. (I.e. after 1990)
        Maybe Orionboy could enlighten us???
        Sprinkler system was installed in may 1988.Before that the ship couldnt take any passengers.

Nice pics indeed from ombugge.I will thank you from the bottom of my heart

Comment

Nice to see Orionboy back here. I thought you would enjoy the pictures I took on board lately.

Maybe you can clear up some of the questions raised on the thread as well?

Comment

Comparisons WWII to present

I showed some of the new photos to my father to see if they brought back any memories. He commented on a few:

First from the galley, which will be used both for Crew and Pax meal preparations:

Crew's common Toilet and Shower Room:

He said the original galley was about a quarter the size of the present one - and that was to cater for the entire crew.

He remembers one occasion when they were just about out of supplies and had returned to Freetown to replenish their supplies from The Philoctetes when they had to immediately leave due to a panic - probably to rescue some downed aircrew or survivors from a ship (he is unclear on that). While out, the cook had to improvise in order to continue feeding the crew, ie things like tinned sardine soup (mainly water), until they met a merchant ship and scrounged about 3 sacks of provisions to keep them going.

He recollected another tale whereby the captain offered to treat a number of Air force (and possibly army) members garrisoned in Freetown to a mini 'cruise' to show them how the navy performed - seems like it was an ego or rivalry thing. The Kilham had to partake in constant weapons testing as routine, so they went out on patrol and endeavoured to show their proficiency - scaring their guests with the volume of the noise and explosions. My father is still very critical at the quality of the American-made ammunition - being a gun loader, countless shells came apart in his hands before they got as far as the breech, so were jetisoned overboard. He told me they managed to fire off 3 shells from the main 3" gun before a shell jammed in the breech, putting it out of action - then the same happened to the bofeurs gun, making them all lose face. I think the only saving was the depth charges which DID work, but the ferocity of those exploding even scared my father as he knew the ship was welded in construction and didn't have full faith in her, having heard stories of similarly constructed ships falling apart. Little did he know she would still be soldiering on 66 years later!

The latrine/ablutions area were military in style, ie a row of metal basins for washing with urinals and wcs.

He believes the main wheel in the bridge was smaller than the current one - a photo earlier in the thread shows one of the sister ships destined for Norway in the conversion yard where the complete WWII bridge was lifted clear and replaced. It is for this reason that he doesn't recognise anything of the current above deck appearance.

Not being an engineer, he had nothing to do with the engines so cannot verify whether the engine room instruments are original.

Re the cabins, these were obviously part of the conversion. They slept in bunks, one above the other, which folded flat against the walls to give space when not in use. The main point of note - and the most worrying - was that they were on a warship and the WHOLE ship was crammed full in any available space with armaments. Adjacent to walls, along any walkway were shells for the 3" and Bofeurs guns and bombs for the Hedgehog launchers. He always lived with the knowledge that, had they been in any action, just one direct hit by an enemy shell would have been likely to rend the Kilham apart - a constant reminder of what had befallen his cousin while serving on HMS Hood.

He remembers that the hatch to one of the engine rooms was in their mess room area.

It's amazing what a few photos can suddenly pull out of the memory!!!!!

Comment

I notice that this thread has had over 10,000 views, so it is obviously a great interest in this subject from around the world. (Or is it mostly from Sogn?)
              The above was posted 2 weeks ago. Now the view count is close to 12,000 and increasing slowly.

Hundreds, if not Thousands of those views MUST have been by people form Sogn og Fjordane, some of whom with something to tell from her 32 years in Sogn. But no, not a single new member or post from there.

I don't know what it will take to get the "Sogninga" to come forward with some stories from all those years, to shear with an international audience.

Get of your proverbial behind Sogninga!!!

Comment

With the "flagging" interest in this thread lately I'll push it up the page yet again.

Here is a link to the article at NRK S&F's website a few weeks ago, which caused a lot of hits, but nothing else:
                http://www.nrk.no/nyheter/distrikt/n...dane/1.7118028
                The article is in Norwegian (Nynorsk) of cause, but Google may be able to translate it never the less.

In any case, their main concern is about the loss of the traditional Company Flag and Logo from the ferries in S&F to a common "Fjord1" standard.
                This has raised some hackles and caused a heated debate, which maybe the main reason why the Orient Explorer also got some attention. (Since she is still carrying the old Logo on her bow)

Comment

With the "flagging" interest in this thread lately I'll push it up the page yet again.

Here is a link to the article at NRK S&F's website a few weeks ago, which caused a lot of hits, but nothing else:
                  http://www.nrk.no/nyheter/distrikt/n...dane/1.7118028
                  The article is in Norwegian (Nynorsk) of cause, but Google may be able to translate it never the less.

In any case, their main concern is about the loss of the traditional Company Flag and Logo from the ferries in S&F to a common "Fjord1" standard.
                  This has raised some hackles and caused a heated debate, which maybe the main reason why the Orient Explorer also got some attention. (Since she is still carrying the old Logo on her bow)
                  As I have mentioned earlier, she has always have a BIG part in peoples lives and hearts. And I am sure people here are really happy that she is taken so well care of, both veterans and others was wery happy when that was known.
                  And one thing is that she is taken care of, an other is how it`s done.. The owners show a great sence of history and tradition, and not least that they have both the heart and knowledge of how to take care of elder jewels like this.! The flag in the front was for instance painted ower for about 13 years; between 1984 and 1997- and still it now has the correct colours..!!
                  The tables in the dining room (salong) is for instance new, but has the same shape and look as the original ones.. The owners must have put down a large piece of work to get it all back to the original style and charm, and in the web site: seniborneo.com they also mentions "her old- world charm". Earlier in this forum it is mentioned that "the Dutch owner is wery proud of his ship and her origin".. I guess they know a lot of her story- and maybe get more from Norwegian visitors..
                  Last edited by Eliham; January 23rd, 2011, 08:35.

Comment

Over 13,500 views and counting, but still no new members posting here.
                    At this time I don't have any more to add either, just wanted to bump it back up the page a bit.

Comment

Good on yer, Ombugge, needs to be done - and have just done it again myself!

Haven't really got anything new myself, either. OVER TO YOU, ORIONBOY!

Guess the next major happening will be when the renovations are done and she starts taking divers on board - or maybe if she takes part in 3-5 years time in 70th anniversary commemmorations of WWII. There can't be too many survivors now.

Comment

good bye !

I really enjoyed this forum and i was proud of being related to this wonderful vessel, but because of nasty comments from eliham here in forum and facebook,STP forum etc what i found via google, i decided to end posting here and removed all my pics.She really has hurt my feelings deeply and my family.That is something i cannot stand.I was expecting nice moments to learn more about USS PCE 833....etc but it turned into a ugly blaming of us ruining the ship (even i had pictures to prove for example the smokingroom wasnt anymore with original oak chairs when sold to finland etc) and we are talking about ex warship wich happily has sailed 67 years having many lives and "costumes".Thats what makes her intresting.

As an ending post i will put here a link, because she has being for sale at least from january 2010 when i found this link, and her sister here in Finland is for sale also because the current owner bought bigger cruise ship ( EX M/S KONSTANTIN SIMONOV, FRANSESCA , THE IRIS) to replace their biggest ship m/s Kristina Regina wich dont fit for SOLAS 2010 and they are focusing in international cruising.They are hoping that some other finnish company will buy m/s Kristina Brahe with the route included along Finnish coast and lake Saimaa

So thank you all ,especially PAUL and BARRY!

http://www.yachtworld.fi/veneet/1943...5380/Indonesia

Comment

Hello Orionboy. You have been missed on this forum and I for one have been wondering why.
                          I don't know what Eliham has been up to in other Forums, or on Facebook, but what she have said here about not restoring in the original (1950) standard has been roundly refuted and explained by me and others.
                          And accepted by Eliham, I believe?

I notice that she is offered for sale "as is" in Indonesia through Yacht Brokers.
                          I knew they had plans of moving here to Indonesia, but not that there were plans to sell out, after all the hard work put into getting here ready as a "Live aboard Dive Boat".

The pictures in the link you quoted shows that quite a bit has been done since I was on board, which is now several months ago.

Please stay with us, as you have more to contribute then anyone.
                          If Eliham has insulted you, I'm sure that was not intentional and that she will apologize here.

Comment

I have taken the liberty to copy the pics which was shown in yachtworld.com presentation of the Orient Explorer.
                            These appears to be fairly recent and the latest we have on this site:

The foredeck as seen from the bridge:

The life rafts appears to be condemned. (???)

Main deck, Port side:

Main Deck, Stbd. side:

Upper deck, aft:

Bridge:

Engine Telegraph:

Wrongly texted in the original.

Chart Table:

Comment

The bar at Boat deck Level:

The bar in the Dining Saloon:

Dining Saloon:

Chairs are still missing.

Galley:

And the smiling Cook:

Comment

Hallways in the accommodations:

As can be seen some things are the same as when I visited in April, while others have changed a bit.

Nice to have some news anyhow.
                                Last edited by ombugge; July 31st, 2010, 17:54. Reason: Replace pics

Comment

Working...
                                X