Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ex-USS PCE833, ex-HMS Kilham, ex-Sognefjord, ex-Orion, ex-Orion II, ex-Corona, Orient Explorer /+ sisters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like reading this threads very much!! I think this is the soul ov Captains Voyage. To get in touch with people, which are really IN TOPIC, while living or working on the ships we are talking about! Fantastic!
    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Latest update - Orient Explorer

This just in from Tracy:

Hi Captain,
      Here is a website that we started putting together - please dont post the link on the forum as we are going to remove the site soon. But if you like - you are welcome to take pictures off the pages and post them on the forum.

The website: www.orientexplorer.wordpress.com please be patient, the site can take some time to load.

In regards to this comment from Mr.Jan-Olav Storli:
      "Hmmm... I studied the pictures of Orion and the one above, these two vessels seems to be a bit different: one vs two lifeboats, lifeboats on the deck vs lifeboats elevated above deck in davits"

They are the same vessel, two of the 4 lifeboats were removed some time ago (maybe done in Sweden or Norway?) - and the liferafts that were situated on the roof have also been removed.

Ok - Enjoy the photos! Hope to be in touch soon.

Kindest Regards,
      Tracy Kalvin

Comment

Orient Explorer

Greetings from the UK this is my first post on this board.
        I was amazed to find so much interest in this ship. My own interest is that my 84 year old father spent over 2 years on her in her original form as HMS Kilham in the 2nd WW. As a youngster I heard so many stories that I feel I have a strong affinity with her.
        My father joined the RN in 1942 at the age of 17 & was on her original collection crew as she was one of many 'lease-lend' vessels which Britain acquired from the USA at the time.
        It was all very exciting for him as he had never left the UK before. I recall he say's that he sailed to Chicago to collect her from new and managed to lose the top of a finger whilst hauling her alongside a capstain on what is now Chicago's Navy Pier.
        He sailed through the Great Lakes, making his way down the East Coast of America, crossing the Line (where he was made Captain for the Day as he was the youngest crew member abroad). After crossing the Atlantic I believe he spent the rest of the war operating out of Freetown in West Africa on convoy duty. Though he never 'fired a shot in anger' there were many tragedies aboard her - A crew member was killed by faulty ammo & my fathers best friend drownd whilst swimming off her bows. He also recalled that a 'tanker' collided with the Kilham and disabled her steering and she had to return to port for repair.
        Kilham returned to the UK after the war where eventually my father was demobbed & she returned to the US alongside her many sister ships.
        I have a treasured photo of HMS Kilham off West Africa and as a kid I always imaged her to be much larger than she actually was.
        Over the years I have researched her future years which has today lead me to this website so I hope other interested parties can now share some of the fond memories of her early years.

Comment

Lend/Lease Ships

Welcome to the CV forum Barry.
          Hope you enjoy the postings and will contribute some of your own as we go.
          As for the HMS Kilham, (Now Orient Explorer) I'm sure there will be great interest in seeing pictures from her early day, during the war.

It is quite amazing that she is still around. I don't think there are too many of the lend/lease ships still in existence and in active service.
          Since you have done research into HMS Kilham, do you know of any other?

Maybe we could start a new thread just for that purpose?

Comment

Barry, I don't know if you noticed and opened this link: http://orientexplorer.wordpress.com/history/
            mentioned in one of my earlier posts? There is a lot of pictures from her time as HMS Kilham and today.

Maybe your Father is able to identify this gentleman?

Comment

HMS Kilham

Thank you for the prompt replies.
              I've seen this picture before & did actually show it to dad. Its such a long time ago but he did think he remembered him as a crew mate who originated from Scotland but couldn't recall his name.
              I understand they all knew each other by nicknames at the time... My dad's was Smokey Stover (He used to continually smoke cigarettes one after another - all par for the course in those days - but he was a 17 year old kid enjoying a whole new experience).

There were many Lease-Lend ships sold off after the war & I know the names of many which were renamed.... but as to their current whereabouts (if any) would take a lot more research.

The original photo I have of HMS Kilham is also on the net under the following link - Scroll towards the bottom of the page & there she is in all her former glory.
              http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/patrol_craft.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Cobb View Post
                Greetings from the UK this is my first post on this board.
                My own interest is that my 84 year old father spent over 2 years on her in her original form as HMS Kilham in the 2nd WW.
                WELCOME!!! And thanks so much for the absolutely CHARMING story!!! Really makes her come alive!!! Loved it!

Comment

hms kilham/orion

Greetings from finland!

I was very happy to find this forum, because my father owned hms kilham as orion 1987-1997 before it was auctioned and sailed in asian waters.This ships is still very precious to me, because i spend my childhood mostly in that ship...so many stories.It was love at first sight when i first time visit in there.I was then 6 years old.i have hundred of photos and brochyres etc about orion and plenty ships documents ,what my father and brother saved from the ship before it was auctioned.I saw there was discussion about the lifeboats and they were chanced by us in 1991. 2 of the older boats removed first and one collector bought them here in Finland.2 remaining boats got glassfiber laminating,but it was only temporary solution for that summer and whole new boats were ordered and installed in spring 1992.these old laminated boats were handed over to one restaurant ship in Hamina (old lighthouse boat)and they still remain there.

Comment

hms kilham/orion in summer 1990

Photo of ship

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1239958246
                    Last edited by pakarang; May 2nd, 2009, 16:27. Reason: Added text to link.

Comment

Originally posted by orionboy View Post
                      Greetings from finland!

I was very happy to find this forum, because my father owned hms kilham as orion 1987-1997 before it was auctioned and sailed in asian waters.This ships is still very precious to me, because i spend my childhood mostly in that ship...so many stories.It was love at first sight when i first time visit in there.I was then 6 years old.i have hundred of photos and brochyres etc about orion and plenty ships documents ,what my father and brother saved from the ship before it was auctioned.I saw there was discussion about the lifeboats and they were chanced by us in 1991. 2 of the older boats removed first and one collector bought them here in Finland.2 remaining boats got glassfiber laminating,but it was only temporary solution for that summer and whole new boats were ordered and installed in spring 1992.these old laminated boats were handed over to one restaurant ship in Hamina (old lighthouse boat)and they still remain there.
                      A very warm welcome on board to our friendly family: both honored and happy to make your acquaintance. We all hope and trust you will enjoy your time with us in the future.
                      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I uploaded some photos of orion in my profile album,and i will put more later!

Comment

orionboy: Welcome to the forum. Where are you in Finland? I have took a long holiday in Finland. I visited: Helsinki, Rovaniemi, Oulu and 5 days up at Levi to ski.

Comment

This has become a very interesting thread, with posting by people involved with her, directly or indirectly, since WWII and now a former Owners.
                            I'm surprised nobody who used to travel on her while Sognefjord has come in. (Maybe no members from Sogn on CV?)

All we lack now is for the present Owners to post a monthly progress report, with updated photos of the old lady.
                            Tracy, if you read this, that is a challenge for you.

Comment

Hello again!

I live in kotka what is abt 100 kilometers from Helsinki to east.I think orion visited once in Helsinki as an charter cruise and i think my father has video of that visit.Ill ask if he can find it.I also have newsclips from 1988-1989 when orion was biggest news in Finland ,because seamens union didn`t like the flag of orion (it was saint vincent and grenadines 1988-1990).Orion did also have tv- commercial in 1991-1992.So much different kind of stuff about orion, that i dont know where to begin.Oldest stuff that i have are the original manuals for the gm 12-567 engines,pumps,electro mechanical steering...all with us navy stamps.My father still has one propeller and spare anchor at his backyard.One of the sisterships of orion ,Kristina Brahe ex uss pce 830 is still sailing here ,making coastal cruises in summer.Today it was still laid up, but i think it will start cruising at end of may(when its much warmer).Iam very intrested to know the ships condition right now also.

Comment

This thread is starting to become extremely interesting, and I'm about to fall in love with this wonderful old veteran vessel.

I have just rated this thread "Excellent". You can also rate this thread and other threads that you like by clicking on the "Rate this thread" above first post of each page.
                                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
                                X