Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ex-USS PCE833, ex-HMS Kilham, ex-Sognefjord, ex-Orion, ex-Orion II, ex-Corona, Orient Explorer /+ sisters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
    I spent 2 1/2 hr. on board "Orient Explorer" today and took abt. 100 pictures.

Lots of details of old and new items. She is still being prepared for service as a Dive Boat. Not going anywhere before everything is as "spik and span" as can be on such an old vessel.

Will post as soon as possible, but I have to complet reports about two 18 and 20,000 Bhp AHTS first. (What a contrast!)

Be patient Paul et al.
    Wow! 100 photos! Looks like this will remain top of the thread charts for a while yet! I'll be patient - promise! Seems like the current owners were very hospitable, then. Where is she currently moored?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Cobb View Post
      Wow! 100 photos! Looks like this will remain top of the thread charts for a while yet! I'll be patient - promise! Seems like the current owners were very hospitable, then. Where is she currently moored?
      She is still at her "normal" anchorage outside Sutera Harbour Marina and Resort, just a few minutes drive from the Airport in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, East Malaysia.

A small teaser.

First view of her from the Marina:

A little detail that will please the locals in Sogn og Fjordane:

I know some are visiting this site. Hope they will come in and contribute to this thread. We still have very little from her 32 years as a ferry in Norway.

Detail from the interior. Even the signs are still in "Sognamaaul":

More to come once I have the time, but I still have some hefty reports to write. To be completed before this week end.
      Last edited by ombugge; April 29th, 2010, 16:29.

Comment

You little tease, you, Ombugge!

Thanks for those - will eagerly await more. Your time and effort is greatly appreciated and I'm sure it will regenerate the interest in this thread.

Comment

Detail from the interior. Even the signs are still in "Sognamaaul":
          I haven't posted too many comments in this thread, but I can assure you..., all is read and every picture is seen, and a very interesting thread it is.

I belive we have to explain to our non-norwegian members (and even some norwegians for that matter) what "BYTTESKÅP" means.
          BYTTE: county of Sogn language for Bucket
          SKÅP: Locker, Closet, Cabinet

Then you see that a BYTTESKÅP is a place they keep their buckets

NAUDUTGANG (in the image in post #217) means 'Emergency exit'..., by the way

Thank you for all the interesting photos!!!
          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to translate from Sognamaaul to understandable English. I was just going to wait to find out how Google translator would handle this word, if anybody tried.

I will post some more pics soon, many with details like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
              ....Then you see that a BYTTESKÅP is a place they keep their buckets........
              Even I didn't get that one: either I don't know 'sogemål' too well, my Norwegian is too bad or I was thinking something totally different...

I was thinking along the way of "bytte" (change) and "skåp" (locker): translating it in my head as changing locker...
              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

You see, my mother-in-law is from Fjærland far into the Sognefjorden, so I've picked up one or two words....
                "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Or, might 'Bucket Room' also be the 'Little Boys' Room' consisting of a non-plumbed in bucket, intended for disposal overboard!!!!!!!???

Comment

Orient Explorer at KK Anchorage, 20. April, 2010

Originally posted by Paul Cobb View Post
                    Or, might 'Bucket Room' also be the 'Little Boys' Room' consisting of a non-plumbed in bucket, intended for disposal overboard!!!!!!!???
                    Interesting thought, but I think not!!

Here is first installment from my recent visit on board. External views first:

We circled the vessel in a bucking boat so not all pics are in perfect focus.

Someone with more skill and time may be able to make a nice panorama out of the last two??

Change of name , but here earlier name is still very prominently visible.

View of Stbd. side. She is still in good shape, apparently:

Much more to follow, exterior and interior, incl. machinery.
                    Last edited by ombugge; April 29th, 2010, 16:38.

Comment

Wonderful images.... absolutely fantastic to see her in such a striking view.

She looks stunning despite her age...

BTW: I tried stitching the two images together, it didn't turn out good, I'm sorry.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Some more pics from the Orient Explorer, shot at Kota Kinabalu 20. April, 2010
                        A few more externals first.

Let's start from the very bow:

No, the ship's bell does not appear to be original. (No name engraved)

View from the bridge deck:

The Capstan is original and still working:

It is driven from below by an D/C electric motorNot in pics)

The Anchor chains are secured by an old fashion Pelican Hook:

View of the Forc'sle from the bow:

View of the Bridge from the Bow:

The front is covered by Copper Plates, which has been polished.

The Fore Deck is wood, varnished to a high gloss:

The Cargo Hatch is still in place.

Comment

Upper part of the Bridge is made from wood:

Appeared to be original from conversion in 1949

Spot Light on the Monkey Island is Brass, and polished:

View along Stbd. side towards the Bridge Wing:

Port Life Boat was ashore for refurbishment:

But Stbd. Life Boat was in place in it's davits:

Life Boats are not original.

The Boat Deck was also very well maintained and varnished:

Steps up to Boat Deck and doors down to the Accommodations:

And here is proof positive of where she was converted:

Which is confirmed by the wear lists on the steps:

That will have to do for now. Much more to follow, incl. machinery.

Comment

Wonderful. This ship is becoming a weel known friend to me, as i see so many marvellous details.
                            Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Thank you so much, Ombugge, for taking and showing us these.

You have single handedly resurrected the thread. Long may this old lady of the waves keep sailing on!

Comment

ombugge: you are a great STAR for bringing these to all of us! Thank you so much for all the detail shots so far! The ship looks absolutely beautiful, a true classical liner of the best sort.

I can't help but thinking (and dreaming) how incredibly cool it would be to see this vessel do exclusive cruises along the Norwegian Coast in the summer season. I would for one love to be a navigator (a Captain) of such a journey and have all the CVF members as guests on board... Imagine this beautiful veteran sailing in to Geiranger a beautiful summers day under blue skies!

PS: Looks like some of the images in one of the above posts has been moved (referring to post number 249)?

Comment

Working...
                                X