Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ex-USS PCE833, ex-HMS Kilham, ex-Sognefjord, ex-Orion, ex-Orion II, ex-Corona, Orient Explorer /+ sisters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The photos on the new sites shows familiar details.. the patterns on the floorings, kiosk, doors, tables, etc. Obviously here we have someone who knows what they do.. wonder if the owners has got old pictures to look at in order to get this done propely..?? Maybe from people in Norway visiting the ship. When the work is done in respect to the old lady, the result is great.!
    If you read somwhere else on this blog, it`said that: "The Dutch owner is very proud of his ship an her origin.." And on the Sensiborneo site they mention "her old-world charm.".. definetly the current owners shows an attitude many oth us who grew up with her likes..!!
    Last edited by Eliham; January 23rd, 2011, 07:00.

Comment

m/s sognefjord/orion

Yes ,most of the furnitures were original but as in the 2 pics i put there earlier you see the ship`s roykjesalong in early 1970`s and then in 1987 when she was in molde before she was sold to Finland, my father took plenty photos when he was looking orion as one possibility to buy in early 1987(i havent scanned all them in computer yet) but in that pic from 1987 she was still owned by TOMREFJORD ELEKTRO SERVICE A/S .Orion was then bought later in november.I dont now where they remove those oak chairs, maybe they still exist somewhere.

Comment

m/s sognefjord

I was thinking this messroom thing, because there was two different mess for crew, with steel signs above door sayingfficers messe and mannskaps messe and it seems that those have being united and the oak seats covered with lether has being removed, this you can see in tracys pics from summer 2009

Comment

I have been following this discussion about restoration of the vessel and would just like to point out that the vessel is in use as a "live aboard" dive vessel in a tropical setting.

As such there are certain things that has to be different from when she was running Bergen-Sogn v.v. There is also the fact that she has to comply with rules and regulations that has changed since 1980's.

That is a reality and has to be accepted as long as the ship is not just a museum.

Comment

orient explorer

I agree you ombugge, the main thing has been always to keep the ship running and as i said earlier for example about the lifeboats, they just needed to be changed that the ship had certifikat for passengers=money to keep ship afloat.
            Thats why i dont judge the current owners changes,i as shipowners son know the hard facts of shipping.This ship has some marks from every owners she had, starting from us navy etc.That is the richness of this ship,a truly UNIVERSAL ship!

Comment

Originally posted by orionboy View Post
              I was thinking this messroom thing, because there was two different mess for crew, with steel signs above door sayingfficers messe and mannskaps messe and it seems that those have being united and the oak seats covered with lether has being removed, this you can see in tracys pics from summer 2009
              Earlier it was a more clear ranking between officers and the other crew members, then it was seperate mess rooms also. That is changed a lot now on the lokal boats in regular service here, fortunately..
              Last edited by Eliham; January 22nd, 2011, 09:20.

Comment

On board sleeping 'fitments'

Hello once again to all lovers of this fair maid of the seas.

I've been reading with interest of your discussion on the interior fitments and note there is little mention of the sleeping quarters.

During WWII my father told us that all lower ratings, ie Able Seamen or 'matelots', often strung up their own hammocks below deck - and that they gave him the best sleep he has known to this day! This was the case when they had an enforced stay on the Philoctetes due to Kilham's collision with the tanker outside Freetown.

If I am correct - and fortunately there was next to no requirement on the Kilham - your hammock also served as your shroud in case of the worst event happening. Apparently the sleeping berths on board Kilham were double suspended bunks.

Many shipboard inventions I imagine remained for centuries if they were deemed to be fit for purpose. On board HMS Victory in Portsmouth Naval Dockyard, the crew's quarters are laid out not only with hammocks, but also tables that are suspended on ropes from the deck ceiling to allow them to sway with the pitching of the ship.

Please continue the good work in keeping this fascinating thread going, and being alive and fresh at that! Well done.
                Last edited by Paul Cobb; April 19th, 2010, 09:12.

Comment

I am the only one from this are who have taken part here, allthough the forum here is well known. But I have found out some important details, that I think will be good to know also for others.
                  The last I have found about Sognefjord is a short note saying that she is sold, hopely back to the area she got her name from.!! She operated all over the county here in her earlier days, so she and the people here are strongly connected.. This area gets already visits from many Dutch tourists already, they might like to hear about the last 15 years of the ships history..?
                  There are still many places her where the people are depended on boats to get to and from, and even many of the lokal boats here can bring cars. There can be many interesting "jobs" for her here, there is many options for this ship here.
                  Last edited by Eliham; January 23rd, 2011, 08:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Eliham View Post
                    I think this forum is well known by people who knew "Sognefjord" form the old days, and I mention it to those who ask about info.
                    I don`t think the crew will share that kind of info on an Internet forum. But if some of them for instance visit the ship, they can give it directly to the owners.?
                    If someone I know talks about this, I will ask them to bring one of the books as a present. With a translation of the text, but there`s also many photos there who tell a story of their own.
                    I hope English language used in this forum doesn't scare anybody away.
                    If anybody want to add something in Norwegian I'm sure we will be able to translate. Anyone who has anything to contribute, get on the bandwagon. Someone will be able to translate, even if it is written in "Sognamaal".

Comment

The photos on the Picasaweb site shows familiar details.. the patterns on the floorings, kiosk, doors, tables, etc. Obviously here we have someone who knows what they do, and now I know there is visitors from the old crew that has been here who maybe had some info or old pictures..
                      If you read somwhere else on this blog, it`said that: "The Dutch owner is very proud of his ship an her origin.." And on the Sensiborneo site they mention "her old-world charm.".. definetly the current owners shows an attitude many oth us who grew up with her likes..!
                      Her place in peoples hearts and minds started early, at the time when she was rebuild. In the: orientexplorer.wordpress.com -blog it`s said that she was owned by "Investment As, Bergen" from 1949- 58. That is perfectly correct. After the rebuilding of "Sunnfjord" FSF couldn`t afford to pay for a second ship, it costed too much. Then a group of busyness-men in Bergen went together to help getting the work done. They desided to buy the ship, pay for the rebuilding of her, then rented her out to FSF with good terms untill FSF could buy her back in 1958.
                      She became the people`s ship, a role she has kept up through the years.
                      Last edited by Eliham; January 23rd, 2011, 08:06.

Comment

I'm heading to Labuan via Kota Kinabalu tomorrow. Unfortunately only an hour stop-over in KK so no changes to visit Orient Explorer, but i MAY be able to do so on the return leg.
                        If I do there will be a lot of new pix to be posted here.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                          I'm heading to Labuan via Kota Kinabalu tomorrow. Unfortunately only an hour stop-over in KK so no changes to visit Orient Explorer, but i MAY be able to do so on the return leg.
                          If I do there will be a lot of new pix to be posted here.
                          If this happens, I will look forward eagerly to seeing your pix! Good luck and bon voyage!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Cobb View Post
                            If this happens, I will look forward eagerly to seeing your pix! Good luck and bon voyage!
                            Looks like I'll have the time. Reverting.

Comment

I spent 2 1/2 hr. on board "Orient Explorer" today and took abt. 100 pictures.

Lots of details of old and new items. She is still being prepared for service as a Dive Boat. Not going anywhere before everything is as "spik and span" as can be on such an old vessel.

Will post as soon as possible, but I have to complet reports about two 18 and 20,000 Bhp AHTS first. (What a contrast!)

Be patient Paul et al.

Comment

In the meanwhile, there are some images on picasaweb:

http://picasaweb.google.ca/sensiborneo/OrientExplorer#

Great looking ship which seems to be in a very good condition! I really want to go cruising on this ship some day. Could I get a free ticket if I promise to blog from the ship...
                                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
                                X