Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ex-USS PCE833, ex-HMS Kilham, ex-Sognefjord, ex-Orion, ex-Orion II, ex-Corona, Orient Explorer /+ sisters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's more a matter of my posts belonging here at all.......

After all, this (sub)forum's heading is:

Veteran Ships : About ships built before 1970 Do you know of an old veteran ship in your part of the world which is either still in service or retired to a respectable life after service?. A section dedicated to the memory of the ships that have their course to other places than the hands of the hungry scrappers.
    My knowledge of PCE's is limited to the Wolf, Fret, Jaguar, Vos, Hermelijn and Panter (PCE-1604-1609). Yes they are built before 1970, but they are not still in service, have not been retired to a respectable post-service life, and were unfortunately not saved from the hungry scrapper's hands

I am just wondering how strict you guys are at this forum. As an administrator of a (Dutch language) maritime forum myself, I find that forum members start "balking" pretty easily at these things. Personally I think as long as the posts are related to the topic's subject matter, I don't care. In this case, above mentioned PCE's are not really "sisters", but they are definetely made from the same plans, and therefore at least family.

Comment

Drydock photos Orient Explorer

hi everyone - we have posted a few photos from drydock at www.orientexplorer.wordpress.com
      Just look at the right side you'll see drydock 2009.
      im really amazed at how many stories and pictures are being shared. when are all of you going to come and visit? we will talk a serious Captains Voyage discount!
      Cheers!
      Tracy

Comment

Count me in... a day, when I'm having my next vacation in that area, I'm certainly going to be one of her guests. Love the brass and teak works.. she looks quite stunning!
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I have seen the Orient Explorer again, but unfortunately only from a distance.
          I'm presently in Labuan, but travelled here via Kota Kinabalu with a short layover. Enough to locate her at anchor offshore and to take a few pics from a distance, but not very clear as I only carry a small pocket camera.
          I have now`obtained contact number for Tracy and will see if I can do better on my way home next week. If not, on next visit here.
          I see Tracy has posted the docking pics already but I haven't had time and opportunity to view them yet.

Comment

Tracy said:
            when are all of you going to come and visit?
            I doubt I'll be anytime soon unfortunately, but I did just see your very nice shots of the Orient Explorer in drydock.

Is she registered in The Netherlands?

Browsing through your engineroom pics, I can't help but posting below shots of the Jaguar's engines ID plates:

I was told these engines were originally built as engines for train locomotives? Models are identical exept for the P in the Jaguar's engines.

Any idea what the difference is?
            Last edited by ThePimster; August 6th, 2010, 02:40. Reason: restored link to pics

Comment

Orient explorer drydock 2009

Iam very happy to see the old lady in a good shape=)
              It would be awesome visit there very soon as possible, but i need to collect some cash before i can travel.Also because we have own business (coffeeshop)
              i need to have a replacement in a work before i can visit in the good old Orient explorer.

About engines: as ThePimster was wondering.What i know ,the P stands for port side engine and S for starboard engine ,and the port side engine was made as reversed of the original model from the train engine and of course the SB engine was almost just like that tooken from the trains.

The train using this engine (gm 12-567) is called G12 by General Motors Electro Motive division.Some of them are still in active use Taiwan and South America.
              This engine block had many variations and with different amount of cylinders (8,10, and 16)
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMD_G12
              Last edited by orionboy; October 5th, 2009, 18:57.

Comment

GM engines in train

Here is a nice clip from one restored G12 train in Sweden
                Last edited by orionboy; October 5th, 2009, 19:05.

Comment

Thanks Orionboy,

Apparently I have only been looking at the Port engine, and never noticed the other one had an S.

All clear, thanks again.

Comment

Dry dock photos

A huge thank you to Tracy for the link to your new photos taken in dry dock. These show a great transformation of the ship's hull from rust through undercoat to pristine red, and also give a real impression of the scale of the Orient Explorer (née PCE833).

May the old girl give you many more years of faithful service to reward your TLC!

Keep posting the pics!

Comment

I must also say thank you to Tracey for the link. I must also compliment all involved with her maintenance. She looks fantastic both inside and out. I looked at the pictures of the engine room, a definite credit, it's great to see such a well looked after engine room.
                      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Engines in PCE class

removed personal photos
                        Last edited by orionboy; July 30th, 2010, 23:20.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                          I have seen the Orient Explorer again, but unfortunately only from a distance.
                          I'm presently in Labuan, but travelled here via Kota Kinabalu with a short layover. Enough to locate her at anchor offshore and to take a few pics from a distance, but not very clear as I only carry a small pocket camera.
                          I have now`obtained contact number for Tracy and will see if I can do better on my way home next week. If not, on next visit here.
                          I see Tracy has posted the docking pics already but I haven't had time and opportunity to view them yet.
                          I'm back from my trip to Labuan. Unfortunately I had even shorter time in KK on the return, hence no time to visit Orient Explorer.
                          Here is the pictures I took from the nearest beach some days ago. Not very clear images as I had to use electronic zoom to get anything at all, but at least here is prof positive that she is back on her anchorage off Sutera Harbour in Kota Kinabalu. Their "liberty boat" leave from there, in case somebody happened to drop by.

And a map showing position of Sutera Harbour:

A link to Suetra Harbour website for those who are planning a trip to Sabah; http://www.suteraharbour.com/v2/index.php
                          Last edited by ombugge; October 14th, 2009, 07:40. Reason: Add info

Comment

Return of Orient Explorer

And so the barnacles start to reattach!

Great to see her back afloat after some 'bottom treatment'!

Thanks for taking and posting those piks, Ombugge. Are you planning any other visits to the area?

Comment

orient Explorer- going strong!

I`we looked around the web for info about her, great to see she is taking so good care of.!
                              This is a ship that everyone loved, both the crew and the tourists. She served faithfully in Norway for over 30 years, it was a sad time when she had her last tour here. Then it was arrangement to her honour on every stop she had, and one orchestera played a march called "Triumphant Voyager".. She is still an elegant lady, a ship with soul.

Here in Western Norway we have always been depending on the fjords to get from one place to an other, still we also need to use the car ferrys to get anywhere. Before the road system got build out, ships was even more important for the oeople along the coast. And you couldn`t get a better way to travel than on her..!!
                              I have a relative who is educated cabinetmaker, and is working on a factory here that produce kitchen units for luxury yachts.! (and private households too, if they can pay for them..!) Guess he many times has sit on board of the ship and just admired the surroundings..!?
                              Last edited by Eliham; January 23rd, 2011, 05:51.

Comment

A very warm welcome on board our dear and friendly vessel CaptainsVoyage Forum. We hope and trust you will have a most enjoyable and educational stay with us.

Orient Explorer is indeed a wonderful vessel, and looking back at this tread it is very evident that she has many fans from all over the world. We are also pleased to learn that she is currently owned by a group of people who are, like us, enchanted with this ship.
                                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
                                X