Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ex-USS PCE833, ex-HMS Kilham, ex-Sognefjord, ex-Orion, ex-Orion II, ex-Corona, Orient Explorer /+ sisters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

some pics m/s orion

removed personal photos
    Last edited by orionboy; July 30th, 2010, 23:21. Reason: because eliham

Comment

So happy to see this thread coming back to life again!
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
        So happy to see this thread coming back to life again!
        Yes it has been too quiet for too long. Maybe time for me to send a new e-mail to Tracy to enquire about the docking in Labuan and remind here that there are a number of people waiting to hear and see what she looks like out of water as well. (Or maybe she is visiting here once in a while?)

Comment

m/s orion summer 1989

removed personal photo
          Last edited by orionboy; July 30th, 2010, 23:27.

Comment

Is that a tiny splash swimming pool on her after deck?

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

m/s orion swimming pool

removed personal photos
              Last edited by orionboy; July 30th, 2010, 23:28.

Comment

Well done, Orion Boy for keeping this thread going. I have regularly checked in, but haven't really got any updates myself at present.

About 4 years back myself and my own family holidayed in Luxor, Egypt, and while there took a 3-day Nile cruise to Aswan. The boat had a small splash pool that only really allowed sitting/standing to keep cool if there were a few people in it, but it was 'olympic-sized' compared to the Orion's bathtub!!!

Mind you, it would have been a major novelty to the wartime crew had it been there instead of one of the guns! Bet the crew would have used it to keep their beer cool!

Comment

Tons of great images, some additional now, beyond the previous posted link: so I repeat it once again:

http://picasaweb.google.ca/sensiborneo/OrientExplorer#

Comment

Ahoy all,

Upon checking my site's stats yesterday, I came across hits from this forum, so obviously I had to check it out.

Found this awesome topic (haven't had time to read it all yet) with lots of info regarding former PCE's.

I sailed on the HNLMS Jaguar (F822) from October 1980 though it's final decommissioning on December 22, 1983. She was built as the PCE-1609 @ Avondale Marine Ways in New Orleans, and commissioned in the Royal Netherlands Navy by means of the MDAP.

For now, I'll enclose a picture in her former glory, taken at Den Helder Roads, and get back to reading.

Last edited by ThePimster; November 11th, 2009, 23:12.

Comment

A warm welcome on board our forum - we all hope and trust you will enjoy your time with us!

Great image and we feel honored that you have chose to be a part of our very friendly famliy!

Thank you so much also for the picture: do you know approximately when it was taken?

Comment

Pakarang wrote:
                        Thank you so much also for the picture: do you know approximately when it was taken?
                        The double HF antenna mast amidships was placed during overhaul in early 1982, and I seem to remember it was soon after that.

So most likely April or May 1982

Comment

Welcome Thepimster!

So nice to see more people finding this site.More and more people involved with this ship-class is turning into a big "family", and i hope all of us can learn many new details of these ships.I dont remember if i wrote this before , but Philippines navy is still using PCE/AM vessels.I found some photos of those ,but dont remember the adress anymore...maybe i can found them later again=)
                          We have being noticed in a norwegian shipforum that i found, but still waiting people involved to m/s sognefjord (or sisters) to join this site.

Here is one youtube link to m/s kristina Brahe(ex PCE 830).its quite new and showing nice interior pics.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWAYABgKx4I

Last edited by pakarang; October 1st, 2009, 20:05. Reason: Embedded youtube clip.

Comment

talking about youtube videos...........

Thanks for this awesome post Orionboy! And talking about youtube videos, here are some pieces of video shot aboard the HNLMS Wolf (ex. PCE-1604). Video was shot in 1984 by Martin Platter, a communications noncom aboard the Wolf, and published to youtube by me with his permission for use on my pce websites.

Maybe I should start a new topic, as this stuff I am posting is not really associated with the current one? If so, I am sure the admin will take care of it

Towing exercise between HNLMS Wolf, and minesweeper Ommen.

Hedgehog firing exercise....pretty darn rare video if I might add!

Whaleboat testing

Highline exercise with HNLMS Evertsen.

I got plenty more, but not on youtube. Like depthcharge throwing, hoistexes with Westland Lynx helicopters etc. Anyone interested? If so, I will upload them to youtube over the next days, and post them here when I go along.
                            Last edited by ThePimster; October 2nd, 2009, 00:16.

Comment

Welcome

Welcome to ThePimster to Captainsvoyage in general and to this PCE thread in particular. Nice photo you have included; even though in the 80s, much of the ship's layout appears unchanged. Good to know this site's reknown is spreading!

I'm sure we would all appreciate some feedback from you once you have digested the volumes of info now posted here!

Comment

Originally posted by ThePimster View Post
                                Maybe I should start a new topic, as this stuff I am posting is not really associated with the current one? If so, I am sure the admin will take care of it
                                If you feel it strays too much off the track under the thread title, please feel more than welcome to start a new thread at your own leisure.

We are still young and have lots of room for many more threads here.

Comment

Working...
                                X