Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ex-USS PCE833, ex-HMS Kilham, ex-Sognefjord, ex-Orion, ex-Orion II, ex-Corona, Orient Explorer /+ sisters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visiting the Orient Explorer

It's not Barry or myself, either - so it's gradually whittling it down!

Hope whoever it is lets us know and that they fully record the visit and post details of their experiences on here - please!

Comment

Latest update - Orient Explorer

This just received from Tracy:

Hi Captain!
      So - here are just a couple of new photos. I have to get back to the ship in the next week to take some more. My photo project for OE is going slower than I thought. This Picasa thing is driving me mad! I'll send more photos asap.
      Cheers,
      Tracy

I don't know what this "Picasa thing" is, but hope she get over it and can concentrate on what is important, telling us about the Orient Explorer.

Here is the pics as received, w/o text:

Comment

She appears to be in good nick, at least externally.
        I will thank Tracy by e-mail and tell we are looking forward to some more pics, incl. the Engine Room, Accommodations, Bridge etc.

Comment

Daydreams

Some lovely piks there; yes, she does seem to be in good condition.

Would that be Tracy, herself, in that one photo?

Blue waters, mild heatwave here in UK, daydreams of plunging in off the deck of OE....

Anyone for a deck party to celebrate her 66 years?

Comment

orient explorer

Hello again to you all from sunny Finland !

I just spend few days in our summerhouse, enjoying finally nice weather
            Its nice to see finally fresh photos of the old ladyi also hope to see some interior pics so i can see what is change after 1997.Iam just wondering what is wrong with my pics from photobucket, because i cannot see them now on this site, maybe its temporary error(i hope).I had chat with my brother last week and we have serious plans to build an website for this ship.In my opinion the ship really needs its own website with all that history of 66 years and hopefully plenty more to come!+the ship is very famous (even after 20 years) here in Kotka and Hamina.Iam still hunting for some norwegian people involved to this ship and iam positive that i will found someone or some people , even it might take time.

Comment

No problems seeing your photobucket photos this end orionboy, strange you cannot see them, lets hope it's a temporary problem for you.
              Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

The picasa thing is probably a online photo album thing... I think...

The photobucket photos seems to appear perfectly!

Those new images of the ship further up really makes me want to run to the airline ticket office and order first available flight to meet and sail with the ship.... Wonder if they need another first officer?

SHe looks absolutely stunning, a piece of jem in the tropics!
                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

New Photos M/Y Orient Explorer

Hey everybody, I finally have some new photos of Orient Explorer. Will try to get new photos in the coming weeks. We are headed to the Labuan Shipyard for dry dock at the end of this month and will take plenty of photos then.
                  http://picasaweb.google.ca/sensiborneo/OrientExplorer#
                  Tracy

Comment

Originally posted by Orient Explorer View Post
                    Hey everybody, I finally have some new photos of Orient Explorer. Will try to get new photos in the coming weeks. We are headed to the Labuan Shipyard for dry dock at the end of this month and will take plenty of photos then.
                    Tracy
                    Many thanks for that Tracy, and for your e-mail alerting me to your posting.
                    I see there is a lot of work going on with quite a bit of new materials used, but I guess that is unavoidable. Still, lot of the original equipment and even the linen and pictures in place. Orionboy will appreciate that I'm sure.

The Bridge looks well maintained, with the brass shined. That warms an old Captain's hart.

I think this thread will be busy for a while now, but I would like to say thank you on behalf of all CV members who have shown their enthusiasm for the Orient Explorer. Who knows you may even get a visitor or two once she is up and running again because of this exposure.

Let me know when she is in Labuan as I go there some time. It is one of my favorite places in Malaysia. I used to work there for Datuk Harris in the early1990s, when he tried to establish a Dive Resort in the form of an old Jack-up Barge, called the "Fishing Village", which we set up right in the entrance to Victoria Harbour. (Not very popular with the Harbour Master) It is now somewhere off Samorna, I think. I'm sure you know more about that, being in the same business?

Comment

Tracy
                      Tracy: Welcome to Captain's Voyage. Looking forward to many an update on the life and times of PCE833...better known as...better known as...better known as...better known as...better known as...better known as...better known as...

Your link doesn't work for me - will have to try it on a different computer.

Hoping this first post of yours is the first of many.

Comment

Tracy
                        A very warm welcome to you Tracey. Although having nothing to add to this thread myself, I have to say how much i enjoy reading all about this wonderful old vessel. So much great history, and so many wonderful photos to enjoy looking at. Your contributions to the thread are fantastic. How wonderful to see such detailed photos of her as she is today! You, and all involved with her up keep and maintenance have very good reason to feel proud - she is in a wonderful condition! It's just so good to see such a veteran looking so good and strong so many years after her birth.

I thank you again for sharing these photos with all of us here at CV, and i look forward to seeing the pictures from her dry docking.
                        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

orient explorer

Well what can i say,she looks fine out and in , even some things are changed like the woodpanels in restaurant.But the main thing is that she is in good hands! The condition of the ship has being big question mark after 1997 ,but finally there is some good news.It almost made me to cry when i saw the "orion" sheets.Iam looking forward to see the drydock photos....because i have plenty of those also.I just need scan those because of course the pics are over 10 years old ,and there was no digital camera .Last drydocking what i experienced with m/s orion was in march-april 1996 at Riga shipyard in latvia.The ship was surrounded by ice (in river called Daugava at heart of Riga)
                          We ordered a tugboat to tow us for the drydock and it made a lot of work to get the ship out of the ice.I was only with my older brother onboard and 4 Latvian crewmembers.We needed to have a pilot of course and what a lovely pilot he was.Because it was a cold winter day the pilot had a "strong medicin" in bottle and before we where even near the drydocks he was so drunk that he was sleeping in a chair behind the bridge.if i remember correct the journey was abt 2 hours.First attempt to go on the drydock was cancelled even we where in right position, because the representatives of the shipyard didnt believe that the bottom of the ship was flat and not round,me and my brother had a lot of work to explain that it is flat and we had all thew drawings etc and even photos to prof it , but it was dark already and they said ,lets try again tomorrow.The tug took us at north pier of the shipyard and we carried out the drunken and past out pilot from the ship.Later in the evening i remember we were looking on the brigde some comet passing by in the sky (halley bop or something like that)It was kind of magical.

Comment

Latest about Orient Explorer

Below e-mail just received from Tracy:

Hi Captain!

The ship just went up in drydock today. If you are going to be in Labuan, you should go check her out!

--
                            Tracy Kalvin
                            Assistant Director of Sales & Marketing
                            Sensi Borneo SDN BHD
                            tracy@sensiborneo.com
                            Mobile: +6012 821 2014
                            www.sensiborneo.com

Comment

Labuan: is that in/on Borneo?
                              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                                Labuan: is that in/on Borneo?
                                Federal Territory off the coast of Sabah, East Malaysia.

Comment

Working...
                                X