RMS Titanic of the White Star Line

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaintsFCFan View Post
    What an absolute cracking film that was Bill, I can't wait to see the other part.
    A brilliant tribute to the Belfast workforce!
    Work starts next week on Southampton's Sea City Museum, it will contain a Titanic museum and open on the anniversary of the sinking.
    That sounds really good. I think a visit to Southampton is well overdue for me, hopefully I can get down before 2012.

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
    When seeing that clip, I clearly understand why the Irish people of Belfast were so proud of their ship.
    Indeed mate, many butch men were crying like babies when news of the sinking reached Belfast. The same could said for workers on the Clyde and the Mersey. Very proud men.

Comment

Originally posted by White Star View Post
      Indeed mate, many butch men were crying like babies when news of the sinking reached Belfast. The same could said for workers on the Clyde and the Mersey. Very proud men.
      The amount of work, hardship and detail on this ship would have made the ship an integral part of many workers life... and then, almost unfathomably, she sank only days after entering service.

It's hard to understand, even today....

It's almost like the Norwegian Epic sinking on her maiden voyage across the Atlantic... unthinkable in those years, unthinkable in these years....
      Last edited by pakarang; October 4th, 2010, 11:42. Reason: Ehhemmmm... comparing N.Epic with the Titanic is almost sacriligous.... replace EPIC with QM2.
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
      Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
      Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

That sounds really good. I think a visit to Southampton is well overdue for me, hopefully I can get down before 2012.

Southampton City Council are hoping to have the opening day on the day Titanic has it's 100 year anniversary Bill,with that being April 14th 2012 I would expect a large scale event to commemorate it

My Great Grandfather new a lot of the men from the Northam district in Southampton who perished on her, he was one of those that bunkered up the Titanic right up until the time she left the port. They had to borrow coal from many other ships because of the strike that was happening.
        Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

Southampton City Council are hoping to have the opening day on the day Titanic has it's 100 year anniversary Bill,with that being April 14th 2012 I would expect a large scale event to commemorate it

My Great Grandfather new a lot of the men from the Northam district in Southampton who perished on her, he was one of those that bunkered up the Titanic right up until the time she left the port. They had to borrow coal from many other ships because of the strike that was happening.
          Thats brilliant, I bet he had some stories to tell

Comment

He had quite a few stories of how it used to be back then, he would often tell me about the great liners.
            One he did tell me about was the photo he had taken stood in front of the Titanic, he had the photo for many years up until his passing in 1988 and after that the photo disappeared. One of the less than savoury family members has it, only problem is which one.

Comment

He had quite a few stories of how it used to be back then, he would often tell me about the great liners.
              One he did tell me about was the photo he had taken stood in front of the Titanic, he had the photo for many years up until his passing in 1988 and after that the photo disappeared. One of the less than savoury family members has it, only problem is which one.
              I would dearly love to see that photograph

Comment

If you can remember Bill, there is a very famous photo of Titanic with a white haired gentleman with a bowler hat sat in front of the ship. My Great Grandfather is stood up in front of the ship near that position, he was in his Sunday best that day as he went onboard the Titanic for a look around like a lot of others did that Good Friday before she sailed.

Comment

An article in the Norwegian Dagbladet about a letter sent by a survivor of the Titanic disaster, which will be put up for sale soon.

In the letter, the survivor, a servant of Lady Lucy Duff-Gordon, writes about how 5 rich men bought the last lifeboat to get away from the sinking Titanic, and left a full ship of people to die.

Quite a gripping story.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

If you can remember Bill, there is a very famous photo of Titanic with a white haired gentleman with a bowler hat sat in front of the ship. My Great Grandfather is stood up in front of the ship near that position, he was in his Sunday best that day as he went onboard the Titanic for a look around like a lot of others did that Good Friday before she sailed.
                    Thats brilliant. I have that photo somewhere in my collection, I will have to dig it out.

An article in the Norwegian Dagbladet about a letter sent by a survivor of the Titanic disaster, which will be put up for sale soon.

In the letter, the survivor, a servant of Lady Lucy Duff-Gordon, writes about how 5 rich men bought the last lifeboat to get away from the sinking Titanic, and left a full ship of people to die.

Quite a gripping story.
                    Indeed, it`s expected to reach in excess of £15,000.

Comment

Ok guys, here is the link for the second part of Titanic: The Mission. First you must visit the following link http://www.daveproxy.co.uk/ And then paste this link into the bar at the bottom of the page http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoyQycmOf2c

Its a little confussing but the only way I can way I can get it to work for overseas members. A big thanks goes to Sterkoder for being my test subject lol. Thanks mate

I hope you enjoy this episode. Look out for the name Jonathan Smith in the closing credits, he is a member of my forum and a very good friend, he was a consultant on this episode and most of the images you see belong to him

Comment

Well, Bill...., now I can see the four ads, but it seems like the film about Titanic will not load. Don't know what happens....
                        But of course, I'm happy to be your crash test dummy here
                        "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Now this is getting a tad frustrating. Leave it with me guys

Comment

It works

Ok guys, here is the link for the second part of Titanic: The Mission. First you must visit the following link http://www.daveproxy.co.uk/ And then paste this link into the bar at the bottom of the page http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoyQycmOf2c

Its a little confussing but the only way I can way I can get it to work for overseas members. A big thanks goes to Sterkoder for being my test subject lol. Thanks mate

I hope you enjoy this episode. Look out for the name Jonathan Smith in the closing credits, he is a member of my forum and a very good friend, he was a consultant on this episode and most of the images you see belong to him
                            Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                            Well, Bill...., now I can see the four ads, but it seems like the film about Titanic will not load. Don't know what happens....
                            But of course, I'm happy to be your crash test dummy here
                            Now this is getting a tad frustrating. Leave it with me guys

No problem on my computer. I am watching it now.
                            Øistein

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you...

Comment

It's almost like the Norwegian Epic sinking on her maiden voyage across the Atlantic...
                              That wouldn't be such a great loss!!!
                              (Provided no loss of lives, that is)

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                                That wouldn't be such a great loss!!!
                                Laughing so hard, milk is squirting out my nose...

Comment

Working...
                                X