No announcement yet.

RMS Titanic of the White Star Line

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

21/ And so they came, two by two. Man and beast in perfect harmony (or in this case woman and beast)

22/ The line-up is complete as twenty (20) shirehorses, a huge cart and Titanic's anchor make an impressive spectacle. Ahead of the group of horses, the leading horses in grey markings are "Noah" and "Wallace".

23/ Unlike the haul in 1911, for safety purposes, the horses were reined up and one of the group takes the reins upon the cart.

24/ A "test-run" is taken to establish the weight/load for the horses. One thing which suprised me was how quickly they moved.

25/ After all the horses were detached, they were taken out onto 'Castle Hill', one of the roads the original procession in 1911 came down to meet with Dudley Railway Station. The cart was moved out onto the road via tractor and the horses were slowly attached to the cart. As before, both "Noah" and "Wallace" take the lead.

26/ One of the shows presenters looks back towards me as I snap the whole twenty (20) horse procession. As the cart has no brakes, it was decided to attach the tractor to the rear of the cart, the tractor itself acting as the brakes. After an hour, the horse team with cart started off.

27/ After leaving 'Castle Hill' at the foot of Dudley Castle and entrance to Dudley Railway Station, the procession enters onto the bypass and heads towards Netherton which is 2 miles away. It was during this time that the problems arose. Modern tarmac roads were not suitable for the horses hoofs while pulling the weight of the cart and its contents, along with a huge tractor. The horses began to slip and slide on the tarmac. They horses only successfully managed to few hundreds yards before it was decided to unhook them all and use the tractor to haul the cart and anchor into Netherton. In this photograph you can see officials from Dudley Council, health & saftey, police and security, along with the film crews, press and a large number of spectators who had got past the security barracades and onto the road.

28/ The unhooked horses arrive at the top of the bypass while the tractor in the distance hauls the cart and anchor.

29/ Arriving onto Netherton High Street, this time going "up" the road instead of "down" like in 1911, over 2,000 people lined the street to great the anchor home. Amidst cheers, shouts, applause, whistles, and the waving of British flags, the whole atmosphere had a sense of over-whemled excitement and emotion.

30/ Coming into Netherton and stopping jsut 600 yards away from the old grounds of where the company 'Noah Hingley & Sons' were situated, the anchor had arrived home to the sounds of applause, cheers and a band playing.

Continued in the next post.

Comment

31/ The anchor awaits the carne to arrive to unload it.

32/ The area of the "green" outside the Netherton Arts Centre showing the temporary display plinth for the anchor. The road behind has been closed off to allow the crane to enter.

33/ The anchor is removed from the cart and lifted clear to be dropped onto the "green".

34/ With a rapturous applause from the crowds, the 16 ton Titanic replica anchor is lowered into place on its plinth.

35/ The lifting lines are removed.

36/ The shows presenters give their speech to the crowds. Sadly I was on the wrong side of the street.

37/ Back on the right side of the street now, the TV film crew shoot the anchor and presenters.

38/ After being special permission, I am allowed onto the "green" to view the anchor sitting on its plinth. The "green" was closed off to the general public.

39/ Another view showing the anchor on its plinth.

40/ Ceremony over, the crowds disperse, the anchor now has to be moved again. The plinth was only a temporary moment as Dudley Council have yet to finalize the perminant home for the anchor. Lifting crews are making the anchor ready to be lifted onto a haulage truck. It was then sent over to the Black Country Museum where it will be made ready to go on display for the public.

Continued in the next post.

Comment

41/ Rushing to get the anchor onto the truck so the roads can be cleared and opened, the wrong lifting lines were used at the end of the anchor shank and the crane driver had to "quickly" drop the anchor to the ground. The result was the anchor digging deep into the "green" Well, they said it was a fully working anchor and it's doing its job.

42/ Correct lifting lines in place, the anchor was lifted, lowered onto the truck and strapped down for its journey to Dudley Black Country Museum.

And finaly a short 10 minute video of the days events.

Thanks for looking. Check out Famous Liners Online for further Titanic reading. http://www.famouslinersonline.com/forum/index.php
        Last edited by White Star; August 18th, 2010, 18:53. Reason: Adding video

Comment

Oh, Bill... you almost give me a heart attack!

This was so incredibly fascinating. WAOW! I would have dies to see this spectacle with my own eyes. I loved every single part of the whole picture series. This is .... yes, very fascinating for a passenger-ship-nerd (self-appointed) such as I am. !

Thank you, a big THANK YOU!
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Waow! Is right! And the ENDING!!!! Amazing! Look at the grass- how the sod just LIFTS up in pieces!

This was ALL so FASCINATING! Many thanks!!!!

Comment

Bill, thanks to you and to Jonathon Smith for a fascinating series of photographs. I was just glued to the screen the whole time.
              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Thank you guy`s. To follow this up a little, you can read an article, writen by Jonathan that was published in a newspaper, about the construction of the original anchor here

http://www.blackcountrybugle.co.uk/N...ey-Anchors.htm

Very good reading.

Comment

Originally posted by White Star View Post
                  Very good reading.
                  It certainly is. Most informative.
                  Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                  Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Some new very interesting articles I came across in the media today:

Norwegian: Ny ekspedisjon skal lage 3D-modell av Titanic

Original article: Retracing the Titanic for posterity. Scientists to create 3-D map of wreck site.

National Geographic article: Titanic Is Falling Apart

(Love the first comment in the NG article: "Titanic is falling apart", I have even worse news, she actually sunk 98 years ago. LOL.... )

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I for one, want to see these images:

Comment

Breathtaking HD footage from the wreck site. Open in full screen mode, click on HD tab and chose 720p for best resolution.

Comment

Originally posted by White Star View Post
                          Breathtaking HD footage from the wreck site. Open in full screen mode, click on HD tab and chose 720p for best resolution.

Brilliant... will watch that once I'm done here!

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                            Brilliant... will watch that once I'm done here!
                            That was spooky, and amazing at the same time.

Also saw this one...

Comment

Came to think of it: here is a poll, I would like to post:

RMS Titanic: is it ethically right to remove artifacts

Comment

Today marks the 25th anniversary of when the greatest of all lost ships was found; Titanic - 1st September, 1985.

Comment

Working...
                                X