No announcement yet.

RMS Titanic of the White Star Line

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello there, and a warm welcome to you, 'White Star' !!

I've seen the movie several times, I got it on an old VHS, I have the Roberd Ballard and NGC dvd from the dives, the Ballard book on discovering the Titanic wreck, several other books, among them a norwegian one about the norwegian souls on board written by a youngster from Bergen. Avery impressive book!. Also got the book about James Cameron and his project and on how they made the movie and finally I got the childs info-book with all the beautiful paintings by Ken Marshall.

Not seen the videos nor red in any books for years, but your entrance here re-opened my eyes. I got holiday, there are downpouren mit katzen und hunden outside, so maybe it's time for a movie or good book...?
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Thank you for the warm welcome chaps

Comment

Thank you for posting those images White Star, fantastic to see them with the added colour, it really brings those old photos to life.

I also welcome you to CV, good to have you with us!
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

I want to go see this "museum" some day, I really, really, really want too....:

http://www.titanicattraction.com/

(.... in BRANSON, Missouri, US)....
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

US FIRM AWARDED $110 M FOR SALVAGING TITANIC ARTIFACTS

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-10973009

Comment

Originally posted by Remarc View Post
              US FIRM AWARDED $110 M FOR SALVAGING TITANIC ARTIFACTS

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-10973009
              Thanks for picking up on that interesting link Remarc!

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                I want to go see this "museum" some day, I really, really, really want too....:

http://www.titanicattraction.com/

(.... in BRANSON, Missouri, US)....
                ROAD TRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've never been to Branson .......

Comment

On August 18th Dr James Delgado will be heading up a scientific experdition back to Titanic to map the entire site including the debris feild. They will be using the latest sonar technology and this will be the first time this has been done since she was discovered 25 years ago.

Here are a couple of links were you can find out more.

http://jamesdelgado.com/

http://www.expeditiontitanic.com/#explore/deeper-look

I will post more info when I have it

Comment

Anytime Jan-Olav wants to come to the United States, the Forums should have a field trip to take a look at that Titanic museum in Branson.

In the meantime check this out!

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
                      ROAD TRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've never been to Branson .......
                      If you go, bring us tons of pictures... you´ll be Rose on that one!

Comment

Originally posted by Captain RJ View Post
                        Anytime Jan-Olav wants to come to the United States, the Forums should have a field trip to take a look at that Titanic museum in Branson.

In the meantime check this out!

How fun would it be if someone could bring us photos from this event! That would be cool!

Comment

I will have some images and a short video posted tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by White Star View Post
                            I will have some images and a short video posted tomorrow
                            Looking forward to that!

Comment

Ok chaps, as requested, here are some images taken by a good friend who is a Titanic researcher and a member of a forum were I am an Administrator. Instead of just posting the images, I have decided to post the whole article that appeared on Famous Liners Online, as it give a bit of background information about the Anchor and the forthcoming documentary.

Article, images and video courtesy of Jonathan Smith.

TITANIC: REPLICA HALL'S PATENT STOCKLESS ANCHOR

Some of you may already know of my involvement, but those who dont, here is a brief run down. A large British TV company are currently working on a new five (5) part series entitled "We Built Titanic" and which will be aired this coming autumn. The series will focus on the Edwardian tecniques, capabilities and those who strived to build this great liner 100 years. One of the key objects built for the series is this authentic FULLY working anchor.

I supplied the TV company the technical information, diagrams, plans, photographs and historical documentations along with the story and background of the company 'Noah Hingley & Sons Ltd' to assist with the manufacturing of this monster anchor.

The original anchor, a 1910 Hall's Patent Stockless type was ordered by Harland & Wolff in October 1910 for the Titanic and went to the United Kingdoms largest manufacturer of anchors and studded chains, 'Noah Hingley & Sons' in Netherton, near Dudley, West Midlands, United Kingdom. The whole process was long and finally, the company supplied Harland & Wolff for the Titanic three (3) Hall's spec anchors and two (2) Trotmans anchors, along with over 1,200 feet of studded chain, anchor attachment links, mooring links and deck stopper chains.

The largest of the three (3) anchors was the centre anchor. Weighing in at 15ton, 16cwt, at a length of 18ft, 3inch, and 10ft, 6inch in width, the impressive anchor was one of the largest fabricated.

The replica anchor seen here was built to similar methods of the Edwardian times. The head was cast in sand beds, cut out via wooden moulds. The huge shank (bar) was forged from huge ingots of steel, with securing bolts, pins and shackle. The final result was a anchor that closely matched the one supplied to the Titanic. The anchor was painted white and both the "HINGLEY.NETHERTON" livery and anchor head markings were reproduced.

I am very proud to have helped with the making of this anchor. But more proud for being a West Midlander myself, this replica anchor was brought back home to the West Midlands where it will go on perminat display to the public. Not only is it a fitting tribute to those who built such a creation almost 100 years ago, a lost art, but a memorial to the great ship herself; Titanic.

On request of the TV company, I was invited down to see the pre-procession. The horses being fitted to the cart, and a test run before going onto the open roads. I also followed the procession and was present at the unveiling of the anchor when it arrived at Netherton.

Hope you enjoy the photographs and the film footage. The small selection of photographs here are taken from some 462 I had taken in total.

Jonathan

1/ The 'Lloyds Proving House' foreman Jack Holloway proudly stands behind the impressive centre anchor for the Titanic, Saturday 29th April, 1911.

2/ Sunday 15th August, 2010 - The grounds to the former Dudley Railway Station, now the car park to the historic Dudley Castle (out of shot to the left) and catle grounds zoo. A heavy duty crane was brought in to undertake the lifting of the 16 ton anchor onto the cart.

3/ I (Jonathan) stand alongside the cart with the huge 16 ton replica Titanic anchor. One of the workers in the yellow saftey jacket is touching up the anchor paint, while playing the fool behind me.

4/ Even the modern-day haulage cart has been turned into its Edwardian predecessor with L.N.W.R and W.A.Ree livery painted onto the carts sides.

5/ Some of those who worked on the anchor have dressed in Edwardian costume.

6/ titanic in scale, titanic in nature. The centre anchor was indeed Titanic.

7/ The bottom of the head showing the securing bolts and plates. The original anchor head securing bolts were not of a threaded kind. But for ease and safety, they were made this way for this replica.

8/ Close-up showing the casting marks in the steel.

9/ Close-up of one of the securing bolts with nut.

10/ One of the painters applies paint to areas where lifting tackle have damaged the paint during transporting to the cart.

Continued in the next post.

Comment

11/ A shot showing the arm and fluke of the anchor head.

12/ Close-up showing one of the anchor head flukes.

13/ Weighing one (1) ton each, the 20 "Clydesdale" shire horses are taken out of their horses boxes and lined up on the grass verge to paw before being walked over to the cart and anchor.

14/ One of the stunning "Clydesdale".

15/ One of the documentary presenters is filmed with the anchor.

16/ Filming of the anchor and cart continues.

17/ The first of the horses are brought through to the cart and anchor.

18/ Connected up, these huge beasts will take the main strain from the cart and weight. One thing to note is that the cart has NO brakes, unlike the one's used for heavy haulage. The dray/cart used in 1911 was fitted with wooden wheels and brakes. The cart below would prove difficult during the haul to follow.

19/ The cart with a group of ten (10) horses in place. The horses were lined up in pairs, two side by side to form a line.

20/ More of the horses are brought through to join the line. Intotal, 21 horses were present. One was not attched up but used as a back-up incase needed.

Continued in the next post.

Comment

Working...
                                X