No announcement yet.

RMS Titanic of the White Star Line

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree, I don't think it's morbid. It's rather like archaeological digs, these often uncover remains from the past, some intentional burials, others not. But these are not seen as morbid activities. The same could be said with the raising of the wreck of the 'Mary Rose'.
    Having said all of that, i also feel the wreck should be treated with great respect. I think that the few that have been down to the wreck, have indeed been respectful. And i think that the discovery and subsequent visits to the wreck have done a lot to focus peoples minds on the true tragic nature of her sinking.

When i was a child, the story of the 'Titanic' was almost like a myth from the past - something that happened a long time ago. A liner that was lost to the great depths of an ocean forever. The discovery of the wreck changed all of that, for millions of people the 'Titanic' became 'real' once more. For me and many others, it started a whole new learning curve with regards to the ship and her passengers. The subsequent photos and film of the wreck really brought home to me the immense lose of life. I personally have one specific memory from all of the film footage that really made me stop and think, that was simply an image of someone's boot that was laying on the seabed beside the wreck. For me, that simple image made the whole thing more real, and thus my respect for the true disaster grew immensely. No longer was the 'Titanic' just a story from the past. With the aid of modern technology we were actually looking into the past.

I also wonder how the relatives and descendants of the victims feel about the discovery and visits to the wreck, i am wondering if they would feel different from someone like Millvina Dean. These days a lot of people spend a great deal of time trying to find out how past relatives died, and where they died. And of course, why. Why did the unsinkable sink?, from what seemed at the time just a glancing blow?. Thanks to these visits to the wreck, we are now pretty certain of the reasons.

So is it morbid? no, i personally do not think so. It's educational, and it's given so much more respect to the victims of the disaster. If it were not for the documentary's and film footage that we have today, the Titanic story would have, for millions of people, remained just that - a story from the past. Today, for millions of people, it's still a very real tragedy.
    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

I've just found this photo that I took in 1976. It's the Titanic crew memorial fountain, I thought it would be the right thing to add to here.

Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

Where is this fountain located. I know there are quite a few memorials located on both sides of the Atlantic, it would be great to see more Titanic monuments pictured. I haven't seen too many of them, apart from those small pictures in books, and never in real life as of yet.
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
        Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
        Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

The fountain is in Southampton in the ruins of Holyrood Church, it was moved there on April 15th 1972 to prevent vandalism. I have a photo of me stood next to it, I'll have to find it out.
          Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

'Artefacts' book on Titanic

For UK based members, I was in the book shop 'The Works' yesterday and they currently have a boxed 'easy read' illustrated book "The Titanic'. This has some separately printed and inserted artefacts which make the reading experience more pleasureable.

Some of these include (from memory) a reproduced picture postcard and an ice report. Looked a nice book to have.

Supposedly was originally £30 (The Works never sell at original price), they are selling for £14.99.

Also have boxed sets (similar format) at same price on 'The Home Front, WWII' and 'D-Day' all with separate items inserted.

Comment

Don't know if this is mentioned other places here, but...:

Fred. Olsen Lines "Balmoral" will depart on a Titanic Memorial Cruise in 2012, 100 years after the tragic accident.

"Balmoral" will leave Southampton, just as the "Titanic", sail to Cherbourgh and Coch before sailing over the Atlantic.

At 02:00 AM on the 15th April 2012, there will be held a memorial ceremony on board on the spot.

The cruice will follow the exact same route, have the same number of passengers and serve the same food made after the recipe from 1912, and there will be music and dance, just as on the "Titanic".

Something to save money to buy a ticket for...??

EDIT: As I'm sure most of you know, this is how the "Balmoral" looks, seen here in Kristiansund 1o. June 2009

©S. Ludvigsen
              Last edited by Sterkoder; June 18th, 2009, 00:11.
              "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

That sounds cool.....gee, if only the fare were the same......

Comment

here's the site http://www.titanicmemorialcruise.co.uk/faqs.php

Geezy Peazy....the cost is awfully high....

Comment

That's going to be kind of eerie, especially if the sea is flat calm that night. That will be a moment in time that will really make you stop and think. I'm not sure if that is something I would like to do.
                    Does anyone know if any other ships are going to be doing this? I have visions of the Balmoral getting there and finding a dozen other brightly lit ships floating around over the spot.
                    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

If this is something made to commemorate the brave passengers and crew of "Titanic" it would be something nice to be a part of.
                      If this is a gimmick made up by smart brains to make huge money for a company and cover it up by putting the "memorial"-tag on the cruise...., mmmmmm, I think I'll be better off on dry land....

Comment

Titanic memorial cruise

But, will they pay heed to any 'ice warnings' this time out?

They are very much trying to tempt fate!

Comment

ummm, Sterkoder you have got me thinking, I do hope it's not just an excuse to make money. I would find that rather offensive. Would a company be that devious?, ummm................... Like you, I think I will stay at home.

Comment

Would a company be that devious?
                            Honestly...? No, in the end I don't think so. Guess my mind flew over the fence there for a minute....

Comment

Who will fetch the icebergs???

This is indeed a kind of sensation tourism.
                              Will they also offer tours in couple of years to visit the place where the Airbus went down? In my opinion there are similar reasons for these accidents. The people trust so much into perfect technology that they ignore the nature. I don't think it will help when people travel there. To prevent such accidents you have to be more respectful with the power of the nature. I think this very often, when i am on the road on our highways and there are people overtaking with more than 160 km/h in heavy rain! This a kind of marime adventure, because their cars are more swimming than driving.

At this place i want to copy the motto of Steve B., very good fitting to that topic:
                              Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree you may proceed with caution.

Anyway, i think there are much nice areas waiting for my visit than a sometimes icy and nothing around area in the north atlantic.
                              Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                                That's going to be kind of eerie, especially if the sea is flat calm that night. That will be a moment in time that will really make you stop and think. I'm not sure if that is something I would like to do.
                                Does anyone know if any other ships are going to be doing this? I have visions of the Balmoral getting there and finding a dozen other brightly lit ships floating around over the spot.
                                I'm inclined to think I don't want to participate in this kind of sensationalism.

A cruise, to my mind, is to enjoy- to see the places I can't reach otherwise, to meet the locals and, depending on the cruise line , enjoy the company of my fellow passengers. Perhaps also enjoy sailing on a 'special ship' providing it is also cruising somewhere I want to go.

Can you imagine the conversation on board the Balmoral?

Comment

Working...
                                X