PS Skibladner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS Skibladner

This is the continuation of the tread in our old forum:http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=416

PS Skibladner In the summertime.

Foto: © Beate Tønnessen, 2007.

But where is the ship in the winter?

In a large boat-house made of steel and glass, by the seashore of the largest innland lake in Norway,
    Mjøsa. In the city of Gjøvik I found the swan in winter sleep.

Øistein

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you...

She is wery good protected inside the "house"

Last edited by Oistein; February 7th, 2009, 15:22.
    Øistein

Comment

Inside the "house"

Øistein

Comment

The wheel house.

Øistein

Comment

Skylight

after-deck

The stern
          Øistein

Comment

After-deck from behind

I was a bit afraid of going to near the wharfside because it was covered with ice and snow, the airtemp. was about -21 C,
            and i had the Skibladner all by my own.

Outside the "Skibladner-kai" is waiting for the summer. As you see, not much ice on the lake Mjøsa despite the low temp.

Øistein

Comment

Great pictures. Protecting a boat during winter is something I do not think about.

How long is Skibladner inside the winter shed?

How do they stop ice from forming around the hull?

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
                Great pictures. Protecting a boat during winter is something I do not think about.

How long is Skibladner inside the winter shed?

Skibladner starts it's timetabled service in the summer months from late June to mid-August. In front and after there are a few chartered tours. So I think she will be innside from start September until end of May.

How they stop the ice I do't know. I heard no pumps og air bubbles. Your question is send on to someone I hope can give us the answer. Be patient.
                Øistein

Comment

that's one pretty ship!

Comment

Great report, great pictures!!!!!

I would think not getting ice around the hull has something to do with the roof of the Skibladner "garage".
                    You know, to keep your car ice free, you most often don't need a full garage...., it would be more than sufficient with only a roof as cover..., a car-port.
                    From looking at the pictures and looking at all that snow at her stern and how it's been blown fwd, I think it's a bit starange to end the building of the cover without letting it completely down to the waterline at the side, and maybe lengthen it a bit and put some easy made doors behind her stern.
                    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Great pictures! Makes me think of a bear in hibernation for the winter!

Comment

Thank you, Oistein, for these very special pictures. I am very surprised about this simple roof and how much snow can reach the ship during winter. Very interesting!!
                        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
                          I have got an answer:

They use a combination of air bubble tube and "hot" wather pumped up from the deep. The water depth under the shelf is next to nothing, so only air bubbles will not keep the water around the hull ice-free. They have to bring in warmer water.

The lake Mjøsa is 123 meters above sea level and 468 meters deep, and will never freeze right through.
                          The water temperature in the depth is stable about +4C = ca +39F

When I was there I did not see bubbles or stream in the water so:
                          There must be some automatic controls to manage this system in such a way that the water temperature is kept above the freezing point.

But I can say: It was a very cold day.
                          On the pictures of the stern and bow you can see the ice building up.
                          Øistein

Comment

Thank you very much Oistein for a fantastic and interesting report!

Really great to learn and see how this venerable old steamer is kept out of the season. Thank you once again for taking the time to continue the thread about this great looking ship: she makes me long for warm summers day!
                            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                            Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                            Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Interesting vessel and history. I hope she sails long enough for more people like us to enjoy her. The four saluting cannons sound cool. Has anyone her sailed on her or see the interiors?

Comment

Working...
                              X