MS Cap San Diego

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS Cap San Diego

We spent a weekend aboard the Cap San Diego, which is a museum ship in Hamburg. You can also book a cabin there for your accomodation.

The four double cabins have the view to the harbour, they are behind the row of windows under the lifeboat. The four single cabins have view to the city, they are on the opposite side of the ship. There is also a captains cabin one deck higher, which has two rooms and view to the bow and to the city. All cabins were made to double cabins with additional beds, if necessary. We had a single for two nights and a double for the third night.

This is the single cabin.

All cabins have a TV, a fridge and a ventilation system.

Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

This is the double cabin:

Bathroom with electrical heating and a nice 60ies mirror cabinet

Comment

After the museum is closed at 18.00 you have full access to all decks and can go where ever you want. Our favourite place was the pool deck with nice view over the river Elbe.

Left in the panorama you can see another museum ship, the steam ship Schaarhörn.

Directly on the opposite side of the river is the musical theatre. Ship shuttles are transporting the people from the city to the theatre and back, a nice evening show.

On the right side is the shipsyard Blohm & Voss.

Comment

The bridge of the Cap San Diego.

She was built in 1962 as one of six fast general cargo ships for the shipping company Hamburg Süd and mostly serving the South America route until 1981. Here five sisters were scrapped and she survived as museum ship. She is taken care of by 38 volunteer workers - most retired seamen - and 20 workers of a employment program. She is fully equipped and sails at several dates during the year.

Saloon for the passengers:

View on the scenery from the opposite side of the river.

The website is only in German, but very informative, please ask, if you have a special question:

http://www.capsandiego.de

A lot of panorama pictures. Just click on the caskets to open a picture and move the panorama with the mouse arrow:

http://www.capsandiego.de/Virtueller_Rundgang.html

Webcam:

http://www.capsandiego.de/CSD_WebCam.html

Comment

Excellent... I want to stay on her as well!

Is she fairly inexpensive as accommodation and do they have breakfast/room service on board as well?
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Single Cabin is 76 Euro (with additional bed: +15 Euro), Double 95. It is possible to have breakfast in the Bistro between 9.00 and 10.00 (before the museum opens). This breakfast is fantastic and is reliable for 7 Euro. The "normal" hotels around her are mostly similar or even more expensive. No room service, there is just a night watch on the ship.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
              Single Cabin is 76 Euro (with additional bed: +15 Euro), Double 95. It is possible to have breakfast in the Bistro between 9.00 and 10.00 (before the museum opens). This breakfast is fantastic and is reliable for 7 Euro. The "normal" hotels around her are mostly similar or even more expensive. No room service, there is just a night watch on the ship.
              Room servivice can be had from St. Pauli!!! Reperbahnen is said to have a wide veriety available and caters to all tasts.

Comment

I can recommend this location in the direct neighbourhood: good food in the restaurant, tasty beer in the pub and jazz music in the club.

http://www.das-feuerschiff.de/

I think i am getting to old for the Reeperbahn. A lot of drunken, aggressive people and lousy, dirty and expensive clubs and pubs there...

Comment

Cap Dan Diego sailing:

First when I had read Sjøkurs should stay alongside Cap San Diego I thought about spending a night there. Then I remembered my night on the English lightship in Hamburg two years ago. There was a party in the night and I slept only two hours. I am sorry but I don't like partys and loud noise, I prefer to sleep in the night. I decided to stay the nights on a lonesome camping site far away from the city. A very good idea, Sjøkurs found an other place (not far away) and there was a techno party all the nights on Cap San Diego.

Sometime I will book a cabin there but certainly not while the harbour birthday.

Comment

Wow, what a nice looking ship. Especially when she is out on the water and not tied to the dock. Her colors are nice and bright.

Comment

I agree: out at sea she is simply stunning. I wish she would sail internationally also: on a cruise to the Norwegian Fjords for example.
                      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Re: MS Cap San Diego

Photos from The Cap San Diego.

October 2009, Hamburg:

with kind regards,
                        Joachim

hurtigforum.de / hurtigwiki.de

Comment

Some more from October 2009

and February 2011:

Last edited by Keelson; January 5th, 2012, 16:55.
                          with kind regards,
                          Joachim

Comment

always February 2011

These are from the Habor-Birthday in May 2011:

with kind regards,
                            Joachim

Comment

Oh how warm hearted is it possible to be...?
                              I really enjoy your story and pictures of a most beautiful ship, and in my view a beautifully lined cargo vessel can just as much be taken care of and preserved as a passenger ship.
                              One day all great looking cargo vessels will be gone, and the world might end up with old museum passenger ships only (a long way into the future though).
                              Great job being done in Hamburg, and the most uplifting to read is that the ship is in fact sailed under its own power during a year. Fantastic!
                              As J-O suggest, send her on a tour to Norway!!!
                              "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Working...
                              X