Veteran Ships and Boats (General)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veteran Ships and Boats (General)

To avoid having too many threads for Veteran Ships or Boats that will only attract a few posts I propose to create a General thread where these can be posted.

I'll start the thread with a vessel I visited a few days ago. A true veteran of 44 years standing, but still in active service.

First her history as it appears in my report:
    The DSV Allied Centurion was originally built at Trondhjems Mek. Verksted, Norway, (Yard no. 623) as Factory Trawler “Gadus” in 1967 and owned by Gadus AS, Aalesund, Norway (Leif Hoeg & Co, Oslo) and operated in the Barents Sea and off West Greenland until sold to Offshore Services, London in 1975 and re-named “Star Pisces”. Converted to DSV in 1976.

Sold again to Sub Sea Services, Milan, in 1979 and re-named DSV “Buccaneer”.
    In 1990 she was sold to Micoperi SpA, Pescara and re-named “Ravello”, but sold on and re-named “ISS Surveyor” and then “Mansal 19” in 1997.
    After a major re-fit in Malta in 1999 she served in the Middle East as a ROV/DSV for Mansal Offshore, Doha until 2005.

Presently owned by Allied Marine & Equipment Sdn. Bhd, (AME) and operated by AME Marine Services Sdn. Bhd. (AMEMS) Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. On long term charter to Petronas.
    From the net I have dug up some old pictures of this vessel.
    As Gadus from 1967 - 1975:

As Ravello, from 1990 -1997:

And her present look:

This picture is courtesy of the present Master and show her working in a dead flat calm somewhere in the South China Sea. He is very proved of his ship and her history, which he learnt from me. Pictures from her last drydocking in Singapore in July 2009:

Notice the thruster arrangement. She has been upgraded to DP Class 2 and thus need 100% redundancy, hence an additional Bow Thruster and an Azimuth Thruster at the stern.

The original 4 main engines, driving a single shaft and CP Propeller is still intact, although propeller and rudder has been removed in these drydock pictures.
    Notice the position of the original Prop and Rudder, well clear of the Trawl net when hauled in over the stern slip. (Now plated over to fit the Thruster)

The fact that there are hardly any rust, pitting or wastage on the original hull, internally or externally, is just amazing for a 44 year old vessel. Just goes to show that good workmanship and good initial preservation is important for longevity of ships.

She also have a sister ship; Gadus II, built at the same yard in 1969 and still going strong as far as I know, now under Italian ownership as the Guardian.
    I don't know what type of service she is in, but she was still used as a Trawler under various flags and ownerships until 1999.
    Here she is under Faeroe flag in 1996:

In case somebody should be interested in how the Engine Room of such an old ship looks, here is a few pics.

Main Engine Nos. 1 & 2:

Main Engine Nos. 3 & 4:

5-way gear. 4 x input / 1 x output (Propeller shaft):

Each M/Eng. driving a Shaft Generator.

Why this complex Engine arrangement??
    First of all to be able to supply power to the single propeller, or to electric switchboard when and where needed.

Being a Factory Trawler large power consumers were the factory machinery and plate freezers when producing and freezing fillets, plus the Fish Hold refrigeration compressors.

When towing the Trawl Net power demand was divided between propulsion and production. When streaming power went mainly to the propeller and Reefer Compressors.

Another reason behind this configuration was to have a low headroom in the engine room to optimize space for the Factory on the deck above.

Comment

An old pump in the E/rm. (I don't know for what purpose):

But there where also some new equipment installed. Here a new Air Compressor:

A closer look at a M/Eng.:

Not bad for a 44 year old vessel.

Comment

Re: Veteran Ships and Boats (General)

Re Mansal 19 Hull,
        The resaon the Hull looks in good condition is the during the 1999 refit in Malta 75% of it was replaced, your pictures are post refit and the picture showing a rear Asimuth are from much later.
        The refit did not include that unit, the vessal had four engines in one gaerbox. Two eight Cylinder and two six cylinder Wartsila's.
        The govenour system was replaced with Barber Colman equipment,pitch reducution. The forward engins had alternators on the back and the stearn engines alternator between the engine and gearbox. Two Cat aux generators were fitted port and starboard of the engine room.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Tiney View Post
          Re Mansal 19 Hull,
          The reason the Hull looks in good condition is the during the 1999 refit in Malta 75% of it was replaced, your pictures are post refit and the picture showing a rear Asimuth are from much later.
          The refit did not include that unit, the vessel had four engines in one gearbox. Two eight Cylinder and two six cylinder Wartsila's.
          The govenour system was replaced with Barber Colman equipment,pitch reduction. The forward engines had alternators on the back and the Stern engines alternator between the engine and gearbox. Two Cat aux generators were fitted port and starboard of the engine room.
          Thanks for the update on the Allied Centurion, ex Mansal 19 and welcome to our friendly forum. I hope you will find more of interest and stay with us to post on this and other threads, which may take your fancy.

From your post I believe you have been heavily involved with this vessel, either as crew or shorebased, at the time she was with Mansal??

I believe the major upgrade in Malta in 1997 was mainly steel and new superstructure/accommodation, or was that when she got DP-1 Class?
          The upgrade to DP-2 would have been somewhat later, (2006?) incl. installation of the additional Bow Thruster and the Azimuth Thruster at the stern.

Comment

Here is the S.A. Vaal of the Union Castle Line in Southampton 1973.

Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

Guess what I've just done! I've booked a 3-4 hour trip on the Oosterschelde in early September. She's a Dutch three-masted topsail schooner and will be visiting Gt. Yarmouth during their Maritime Festival in a few weeks' time. I don't know whether anyone saw my photos of the Shtandart when I went on board last year, but I never thought then that I would have a chance of sailing on one of the Tall Ships.

See here
              Last edited by wherrygirl; August 19th, 2011, 16:04.
              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

WOW Wherrygirl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a thrill!
                No climbing up to the top of those masts and no forgetting your camera!

Comment

Ohhh! That sounds like fun. I can't wait to see the pictures.

Comment

looks great Ivy,dont also not forget your pirats suit, mate
                    best regards Thijs

Comment

Ah Cecilia, I promised to leave off my sandals and go up bare-foot, but they still said no. Photos you shall have, Dane, don't worry!
                      Pirate's gear? Aye, aye, Cap'n. Well, at least, I'll cover it up as I board, but once we're out at sea and under way then a-ha, me hearties! I'll show me true colours and take over.
                      Ivy

Comment

May i make the prediction that this trip will have a great influence on your future vacation plannings?
                        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Yep. I'll charter it next year and a certain trio will sail the seven seas. Well, perhaps one of them to start with until we learn the ropes (OUCH!)
                          Ivy

Comment

Lady, this is not a single-hander!!

We would need a lot of rope experienced fellows to join us. But I am sure we have enough of them in this forum, and we would save a lot of time, because we could talk and show pictures directly to each other then.

Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

1913 built MV Liemba, formerly the Graf von Götzen, still in use on Lake Tanganyika in Africa

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-14677418

Comment

Working...
                              X