Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

with Discovery in Bristol

and returning to Liverpool

No pics of the ship from Ålesund, Alta or Narvik but I'll post photos from the ship when I write up my 2014 travels thread.

Comment

Picture #14/2 is really amazing. Perfect angle. Very impressive! Can't wait to see some interior pictures. It looks like a ship i would want to travel with.
      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• Gaelsail
        Gaelsail commented
        Editing a comment
        A very nice ship, comfortable. Lots of outside deck space. Small rooms to sit in as well as the main lounge & bar. Food was good and served in one sitting at dinner. Considering the weather we encountered, I was happy on this ship, happier than I've been on bigger ships in lesser storms.

Sorry, I've not taken any interior photos. Most of our port calls were short and by the time we returned to the ship so had all the other passengers.

The news broke yesterday, 12th February, that MV Funchal's cruises for 2015 have been cancelled.

In a statement to the "Ships and the Sea Blog" the owner of the ship, Mr. Rui Alegre, said that "the company failed to meet the conditions for ensuring the operation of cruises for the 2015 season. We will now put the ship in "lay up" keeping her in good care, and look for a long-term operator to charter the ship. We hope to find this charterer soon for the FUNCHAL to return to the seas again... "

Naturally I am hugely disappointed about the cruise I'd booked for July/August and was so looking forward to, but more importantly feel concern for yet another classic ship in these difficult times, and her crew are also much in my thoughts.

Comment

That is a pity!! I followed from time to time the news about the company and must admit, that i had a bad feeling. No good financial background. Let's hope she will be interesting to a new company. But there are more ships on the market now...

Comment

This news was also shared at the Norwegian language webpage trondheimsfjorden.net as early as yesterday:

http://www.trondheimsfjorden.net/nyh...erer-alle.html

Truly a sad day but then again, I'm so happy I made it to the port to get the shots of her departure last summer.
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I'm so happy I took a day off work ONLY to go to Åndalsnes to experience this beauty and take her pictures. Little did I know about her destiny....
            "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

I wasn't feeling too well that day, and intended not to go to town that day.

Until the last possible moment.... grabbed the camera and flew out the door, just to arrive at the port as she pulled away from the dock. I could not have been any later, or she would have been gone. What made me go to town, is that I'm perfectly well aware that when it comes to classical ships, you never know when will be their last visit ever.

Another one that I truly miss is the Canberra, and the Daphne and Danae.
              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I read in a German newsletter, that Portuscale Cruises, which took over the Funchal, the Azores, the Lisboa and the Porto, gave up the business, The ships are for sale now. Azores became chartered, as we could read in her thread, but the other ones seem to have no other bidders than the scrappers.

Comment

After being laid up in Lisbon since 2015, the ship on which I had booked a cruise but never got to sail on is facing her destiny today, 2018 December 5th.
                She is up for auction.

Comment

• Ralf__
                  Ralf__ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Let's hope some have an eye on her and will bid a few bucks more than the breakers... she is a very attractive classic liner.

The encouraging news from the auction in Lisbon (which took place on the ship) is that it seems there were several bidders,and Funchal has been saved from the scrappers. She was bought for 3910 million euros. The new owner is so far undisclosed and Funchal enthusiasts are eagerly awaiting authoritative confirmation.

However there is talk of a Liverpool, hotel group, interestingly linked with the luxury Titanic-themed hotel that was the former Albion House of the White Star Line. Thus speculation about whether Funchal might be moved to the UK as a hotel ship.

Comment

I'm glad I took some time off work that day in October of 2014, to go to Åndalsnes and see this classic ship with my own eyes.
                I'm also happy to hear that she is saved from the scrappers, BUT: a continued life as a hotel ship???
                Ships aren't ment to be moored or tied down, not being able to come to life every time the engines start, they are ment to sail...., full of life, maintained by usage.
                Why does every ship that's saved, have to become a hotel ship? How many successful stories of hotel ships do we know of?
                As soon as they become hotels (they are when in service, but I mean tied down), they start to deteriorate..., and after a short period of time it goes fast.
                If it is so that the FUNCHAL will be moved to UK (or any place, for that matter) just to become a hotel ship, I'm going to be sad on her behalf.

But hey, that's me...
                "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

No no ...it is not 'just you' Sterkoder! I'm with your every word.

I suppose much of the enthusiastic reaction of those that have been 'following' the ship was sheer surprise that she had not been bought by breakers, as was the smaller Porto (ex-Arion) so very recently ...the ships had been laid up together in Lisbon. But there was a difference in the two fleet-mates - Funchal had had money spent on her when she was acquired by Portuscale Cruises, retaining a classic interior look, and I believe she may even now be SOLAS compliant. She could have been bought to sail, and there are a number of classic ships still sailing that, personally, I'd rather exchange her with.

Anyway, on the hotel front, the latest information emerging caused me unease. It is now widely reported that she will be located in London, not Liverpool. Although no specific location has been mentioned, I immediately felt that she would be lost in the big city without an obvious connection there, and so likely to loose her unique character and maritime history in the process of transformation into a viable business as hotel, event venue, visitor attraction or whatever.
                  https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/c...7m4Q9gp5ZGUluM

The connection of Signature Living to the White Star building Albion House had initially seemed promising...
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albion_House,_Liverpool

...but the saviours of Albion House now seem the tip of a rather threatening iceberg so to speak, as I discover more of what else they are currently into in Liverpool...
                  https://www.signatureliving.co.uk/?f...1xjbtl13oIa28Q

...and elsewhere...
                  https://www.signatureliving.co.uk/si...nce-kenwright/

So party boat or the Alang beach ...what would you wish for your favourite classic ship?

Comment

Working...
                  X