M/S FUNCHAL - a classic cruise ship

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M/S FUNCHAL - a classic cruise ship

I know a certain someone plan to make a special topic for this classic ship, but I relly hope it's ok for her that I start the hole thing :-)
    First noticed FUNCHALs sailing along the Norwegian coast when 'Seagull' made a spotter alert to 'Grindøya', and I was rather happy to see the cruise ships next stop would be Åndalsnes.
    It's a sad thing SAGA ROSE and SAGA RUBY are history, so me too have wanted to see such a classic vessel as FUNCHAL myself, hopefully if she should visit Kristiansund once.
    As 'Seagull' told us this ship is her favourite non-hurtigrute ship, I desided to take time off work from lunch 17th October and drive to Åndalsnes to take pictures for my friend, and of course to see the classic liner with my own eyes.
    Please enjoy a trip to Åndalsnes, and here's my first sight of the ship after parking my car

The view from down by the sea behind the port authority security office

From the same spot, we see autumn colours are getting stronger by the days

A detail shot

Look a little angry?

"IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Turning 180 degrees from my spot there, it all looks like this. Towards Isfjorden

Then it was time to ask security if I could climb up on the roof of that office, and he said yes (Who could say no to me? (hahaha) )

Comment

• Gaelsail
      Gaelsail commented
      Editing a comment
      We walked past you, just as you came back down from the office roof

Time to walk towards the square and the quays by the police station

A couple are heading back to the ship

Warm Portugese flag in cold autumn surroundings

Very nice lines along the NATO-quay in Åndalsens

Comment

Even though some of my pictures look alike, they are different, and since this is about this ship and a study of lines..., bare with me :-)

Totally different experience of the square near the quay and trainstation now, in October. A lot more people and life during summertime, of course.

As seen from the police station

Mountains are awesome, and notice...., free of snow

After a while, Åndalsnes was in shadow and ice cold

Comment

Evening light, rather relaxing

Do you spot the cabin...., up there on the hillside, to the left? :-)

Had to take a picture from the outer side too

In Åndalsnes the old Colin Archer SOLLI has its home base

Comment

lets treasure those last remains of a time vessels like these were common.
          best regards Thijs

Comment

The white contrails belong to Norwegians flight from Stockholm to Los Angeles, flying at 38.000 feet with a Boeing 787 Dreamliner

Silent at Åndalsnes station, no more tourist trains and even the MIX kiosk shop is gone

On my way home, I had to stop in Molde to take a picture of Bolsøy bridge with the mountains in the background. The trees here are near Røbekk

Hope you all enjoyed, and That we soon see new FUNCHAL images :-)

Last edited by Sterkoder; October 19th, 2014, 20:22.

Comment

• Sterkoder
              Sterkoder commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh yes, it's an Indian Summer allright. Went to Averøy yesterday and at around 5 PM we had 15 degrees C here. I like it alot!

Ash broom sticks, that's a good one :-) But what is it about this hull?
              Is it originally riveted, or originally welded? Looks like the main hull plates are welded, and that they are fastened to the spars by rivets. I'm not an expert, but it seems like the hull of FUNCHAL has been trhough quite a bit of something over the years.

I enjoyed my trip though..., as this gives me mental refueling :-)
              Last edited by Sterkoder; October 20th, 2014, 10:01.

• ombugge
              ombugge commented
              Editing a comment
              The frames are riveted while the longitudinal and plate buts are welded.
              Why Ash broomsticks??? If and when rivets pops ash broom sticks are used to close the holes.
              Ash swells a lot when exposed to water and thus does not vibrate loose.
              Old riveted ships are not considered seaworthy without an ample supply of ash broomsticks.

• Sterkoder
              Sterkoder commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh, I did not ask why broom sticks, because I understood that one ;-) Thanks for the explaination of the ash in particular, as I did not know why ash was preferred before other wood :-)

This is how Åndalsnes and FUNCHAL looked from a Boeing 737 inbound Molde. (Photo: Lars Aarønæs).
            NOTE: Not much snow in the mountains ;-)
            Last edited by Sterkoder; October 20th, 2014, 09:55.

Comment

Wonderful pictures of a wonderful ship. I did also check her cruise plan of next year, but the website is not very professional and the company is in very risky operations because they too over various old ships. Let's hope all goes well.
              Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• Sterkoder
                Sterkoder commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, Ralf! :-)
                Yes, their ships are from the older part of the line, but isn't FUNCHAL just out from a major overhaul and update to pass the requests of SOLAS2010?
                (I have the understanding that the main issue of "killing" such old liners are the SOLAS. I might be wrong.
                Let us just enjoy the time we have together with our beautiful liners from the 1960s :-)

For now, just a really big thank you Svein for starting this thread, and I'm thrilled to have inspired your great day out ...so glad I mentioned Funchal's next call in the reminder to Bengt. It simply hadn't occurred to me that you might get along to Åndalsnes. And what weather too! Wonderful images.

Comment

I hope, Sterkoder, that you don't mind me joining in this thread for MV Funchal. I can hardly believe that you were standing on top of the office as we returned to the ship.

Åndalsnes

Comment

Tromsø

Comment

Ah, so you were there? Oh, well..., anyway, at the time of your pictures there, I was on my way home again. The lorry had picked up one of the two blue waste containers when I left. Now I see from your pictures that both are gone 😉 Glad I took half of the day off to drive to Åndalsnes. You know, we don't live based on things, but rather experiences. Mental refueling is important, and this is like filling up the tank to me 😃

Comment

• Gaelsail
                      Gaelsail commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I went ashore 3 times- first time was early, on my own. Next time 3 of us and mid-afternoon there were 2 of us. I wonder who else would have been standing on top of the office taking photos?

• Sterkoder
                      Sterkoder commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Some of the passengers were up there on that roof.

• Gaelsail
                      Gaelsail commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hmm, missed that opportunity. Next time

Honningsvåg- in the snow

from MS Midnatsol

Comment

Stavanger

Comment

Working...
                      X