MV Windsor Castle, ex NLV Fingal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MV Windsor Castle, ex NLV Fingal

The Northern Lighthouse Board's tender Fingal dates from 1963, the last vessel to be built by the Blythswood Shipbuilding Company, Glasgow. Although Leith registered, she was based in Oban and, after 1994, Stromness. Sold in 2000 to Tamahine Investments Ltd of Hong Kong and registered in London, she was renamed Windsor Castle. Later she was laid up on the river Fal in Cornwall but apparently well maintained by her then owner.

The ship has now been acquired by the Royal Yacht Britannia Trust, and arrived in Leith in August. She is to be converted into a hotel, scheduled to open in Spring 2016, and permanently moored adjacent to The Royal Yacht Britannia.

I had missed her arrival, and it was not until I was in Leith for the last cruise ship call of the season on September 24th that I had my first opportunity to take a few photos.

MV Windsor Castle seen in Leith Docks from the car park roof at Ocean Terminal.

Walking along the road, Ocean Drive, to the right as seen in the first photo of the previous post, I was able to take further pictures.

Comment

Comment

• nari
        nari commented
        Editing a comment
        Beautiful little ship. Hope she is looked after well.

a great looking vessel with nice lines,and even better,a saved vessel.
      we're gonne see a lot of her ,i suspose
      best regards Thijs

Comment

Such a wonderful addition to the harbour. She has such elegant proportions and lines. She is definitely the place to stay in Edinburgh, once she is opened as hotel. Picture #2/1 is like a centrefold!
        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Interesting and great looking indeed. Happy to hear that she has a future.

Comment

Totally agree with everyone - such a beautiful boat. I like the way the free-fall lifeboat is coming 'down the chimney' in the bottom image in post 1!
            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Thanks all - definitely approval from all of you! That calls for a bonus photo!

Comment

In those days, ships had lines....
                Regards; Sigve.
                ---
                IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

Working...
                X