This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vessels found in the old shoe box

I got around to scanning in some older shots of ships from my childhood. Here are a few that I thought might be interesting.

First off is the QE2 fresh from her post-Falklands refit, sailing the RI coast in August 1982

Next is the Statendam (1957) arriving in Hamilton Bermuda in 1979

Doric, Veendam, Sagafjord and Volendam in the Great Sound of Bermuda in 1981

Another picture of the Sagafjord of NAC in Bermuda in 1981

One more of the Doric of Home Lines in 1981

One last later one of the Atlantic and Homeric in Hamilton Bermuda in 1986

Wonderful photos. Timeless images of true liners! A doorway to the past almost closed.
    Except on Capatains Voyage, where the past is alive and well. Thanks for some nice shots.
    Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

A few more, some a little more modern.

Homeric in Hamilton, Bermuda in 1987

Bermuda Star entering Hamilton, Bermuda in 1986

Atlantic entering Hamilton in 1982

Meridian at Kings Wharf Bermuda in 1993

Song of America in Hamilton Bermuda in 1993

Dreamward in St. George's Bermuda in 1993

Horizon and Dreamward in Hamilton Bermuda in 1993

Comment

Originally posted by Thaddeus View Post
        Doric, Veendam, Sagafjord and Volendam in the Great Sound of Bermuda in 1981

Just look at them! Back in the days when ships had real bows! I do not think we shall ever see 4 such beauties together again like this. And to think that such views were once a common sight. Oh just how much have we lost when it comes to style on our seas?

Thanks for sharing these great photos!
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Like the Meridan shot. There's one real ship we don't have with us anymore.
          Where you old enough to take the pics yourself?
          At least the Sagafjord is still around.

Comment

Great images and tons of magic in all those shots...

Great seeing an image of the Maridian... I remember her from Caribbean and naturally, for her tragic sinking....
            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
            Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
            Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

A few more old scans of pics of the HAL and Home Line ships that sailed to Bermuda when I was a kid..

Statendam and then Volendam departing Hamilton

Dusk view of Doric in Hamilton

Volendam in Great Sound

Overhead of Doric and Statendam in Hamilton

Finally Atlantic at night docked in Hamilton

Comment

Vessels found in the old shoe box

Vessels found in the old shoe box

Thought we might make a general thread for images of vessels from the old shoe box. How many of our dear members have shoe boxes full of images of old ships?

I open the thread with this one, of a vessel called "Bay State".

It looks a bit like one of those liberty ships, but I have no information on her..

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

It looks a bit like one of those liberty ships, but I have no information on her..
                  Good thing I'm here then....

Seriously, this must be USS Tate delivered to US Navy in 1944.
                  Sold to Luchenback Steamships Company in 1947 and changing name to Julia Luchenback.
                  She changed name to Bay State in 1960 when sold to States Marine Lines in New York.
                  Sold to Taiwan Shipbreakers and scrapped in Koahsiung in October 1970.

She was built at North Carolina Shipbuilding and when operational she had 2 General Electric steam turbins geared to one single shaft.

Great theme for a new thread, Jan-Olav! What's the story behind you having this in your shoe box...?

EDIT: Or am I totally off when giving info about the ship...? Anyone?? I belive I've seen Bay State once looking a bit different. Could Jan-Olavs picture be of a rebuilt BS??
                  Last edited by Sterkoder; January 25th, 2010, 21:55.
                  "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Verify Info On USS Bay State

Sterkoder, unless we both read the wrong info, you are right on the money with everything you listed about this ship. The images I found of the Bay State were somewhat different than what Jan Olav had posted, but like you I figure that over the years the owners did some renovations to the ship.

Comment

I have some images in my shoe box myself, and since my grand-uncle, grand-grand-dad, grand-dad and dad all have been seamen in their time, let me present M/S "Dagland" of John P. Pedersens Rederi AS, which was the second ship of my grand-uncle (don't know if the title is correct, but in norwegian it is 'gammelonkel').

My grand-uncle also served on a huge cargo vessel named "Barbro". Sadly I have no info on this one, other than I belive this was the last ship he served at...., and unfortunately I don't know which company owned her, but I seem to remember it was a norwegian company. (Oh, could they ever build ships in the old days!)

Then a cargo vessel on which my father served, the M/S "Sistina" owned by Tschudi & Eitzen of Oslo, built in 1959 by Ateliers & Chantiers de Bretagne in Nantes.

She changed name later to "Tatra" and my father continued with the ship, now owned by Willh. Willhelmsen of Oslo.
                      Vessel broken up in 1982.

My father also served on the tanker "Sitakund" owned by Tschudi & Eitzen of Oslo. Here's a picture of her as "Sognefjell" when owned by Olsen & Ugelstad, Oslo.
                      My father luckily got off the ship in Wilhelmshafen, as the vessel exploded in the Mediterranian on her way to Libya a few weeks later. She broke in two, killing 3 crewmembers, injuring 31 on 29th October 1968.

My last image from the shoe box for now is one of the largest vessels built by Sterkoder Ship Yard in Kristiansund, the "Kings River".
                      She was yard nr. 55 delivered in January 1977, and the great thing..., she's still alive! (I get so happy if I'm able to find a Sterkoder-vessel still alive and operational today. There have been a few)

Today she looks like this, and her name is "Antares 1"
                      (Haven't asked the owner if I could use the image, but since I have now intention to enrichen myself by using it, I hope it's ok. Thank you!)

Well, folks..., this was my shoe box. Hope you all enjoyed.
                      Last edited by Sterkoder; January 26th, 2010, 00:09.

Comment

Originally posted by G. of S. Florida View Post
                        Sterkoder, unless we both read the wrong info, you are right on the money with everything you listed about this ship. The images I found of the Bay State were somewhat different than what Jan Olav had posted, but like you I figure that over the years the owners did some renovations to the ship.
                        Yes, I belive you're right when it comes to rebuildings.
                        I think the bow and stern section are just like the "Bay State" I have in mind, but Jan-Olavs image is totally different mid-ship.
                        (What we find out in this great place).

Comment

"M/S Dagland"

Hello again friend Sterkoder. In attempting to check out what the correct name might be for the ship, you have listed as M/S Dagland. Well I have what may be bad news and what may be more bad news. If you go to Google and type in M/S Dogland. Then proceed to page #4. Go to the 5th subject down that page you should come to this subject, "Tapline-Capt. Walter Ludvigsen's Logbook." Go down the list and you will find 2 ships. One of the ships named M/S Dogland the other M/S Dagland. They are both Norwegian owned. Cannot find any images that would be of any use. Go figure!

Comment

Even though my name is Ludvigsen, I don't know of a Walter.
                            M/S "Dagland" was the second vessel in my grand-uncles row of ships he served on board.
                            He passed away many, many years ago and his family name were Aspen.
                            But anyway, it's interesting what can be found on Google...

Comment

The "Barbro" looks very much like a tanker, not a cargo ship.
                              I would think built around 1970 and around 50-60,000 DWT?
                              Anybody care to check?

Comment

Working...
                              X