Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 - the story continues.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Jan Olav,

QE2 will be registered with restriction, a sort of dis-classed as "Sea Going Ship *" and will be exempted from many parts of passenger regulation, including Solas for passenger cruise ship. The dry-dock is mostly for maritime insurance and to be "safe" because a long needed dry -dock (and work) was absolutely necessary. It's exactly the same when you do the last voyage with a ship to Alang with a skeleton crew.

For ex. Ocean Odyssey (former Eros, Jason) was beached last week and was absolutely out of classification for MANY points and since some months. So no passenger on-board, only a technical crew for the last voyage.

http://www.cdlive.lr.org/vesselstatus.asp?LRNO=6415489

She has arrived to Alang under her own power ...

*: it's not the right term, this one is from BV. Lloyd's Register has another term.

Comment

As much as I honestly dislike being the "did-you-see-that-on the-other-forum", here are some links on the current status of the QE2: now registered in Port Vila, Vanuatu under the new call sign YJVW6:

http://www.maritimematters.com/shipnews.html

http://www.theqe2story.com/forum/

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_i...4253530C685672
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I don't want to jinx it, but ......

Well, if she DOES go to Cape Town for 18 months...we'll have a first hand report, because guess who is going to Cape Town the first week of February.....

Comment

Originally posted by SaintsFCFan View Post
          This is a terrific site of Rob Lightbody & QE2, well worth a visit.

Rob Lightbody QE2

The Queen in drydock preparing for South Africa

QE2 Drydock
          Thanks for those links Paul, don't know how, but i have managed to miss them up until now!

How nice to see she is being given some care and attention in the drydock photos.

And looking at some of the interior photos on the other link really makes me wish that her eventual conversion does not destroy these famous areas of her.
          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
            As much as I honestly dislike being the "did-you-see-that-on the-other-forum", here are some links on the current status of the QE2: now registered in Port Vila, Vanuatu under the new call sign YJVW6:

http://www.maritimematters.com/shipnews.html

http://www.theqe2story.com/forum/

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_i...4253530C685672
            It's sad to see her with Port Vila painted on the stern. To me it really seems to bring an era to a close. I never thought I would ever see her without the name of Southampton on her stern.
            Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Without intending to insult anyone, but what do British citizens think when seeing the name of their Queen with Port Vila beneath? Does that evoke any feeling of wrongfulness or is it just "business" in it's globalist form?

I remember first time I saw Norway with Nassau beneath the first time, I thought it was horrendous and a great shame for our country. But after seeing it awhile, and knowing how little the nation had done for it's seamen and what the country had done to one of the largest shipping nations in the world, it was quite simply nothing I ever thought of again.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

To me it is sad that "Southampton" is no more - but I rather see "Port Vila" on an intact ship than "Southampton" on this avantgarde hotel project - or even worse on a wreck on Alang beach :-/

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                  Without intending to insult anyone, but what do British citizens think when seeing the name of their Queen with Port Vila beneath? Does that evoke any feeling of wrongfulness or is it just "business" in it's globalist form?
                  It's hard to put into words what I feel. I dont think im offended by the fact that a ship carrying the name of our Queen is now registered in another country, its more the fact that the ship itself is now registered overseas and is unlikely to return to her home waters ever again. What annoys me more is the fact that a home could not be found for her here in GB. Seeing Port Vila on her stern just brings that back to me.

I guess for me she was just such an important image for GB - like Buckingham Palace or Windsor Castle. She was the last of a breed, built when looks counted for so much. Like the Norway and others, she always stood out in a crowd. I only ever saw her in her home waters - in and around the Solent mainly, but even there she always made me feel proud. I can only imagine what i would have felt if i had been sitting on a far off beach somewhere on the other side of the world and saw her pass by. To me it would be like watching a part of my own country sailing by.

Seeing Port Vila on her stern just reminds me that i will probably never again see her sailing up the Solent on her way into Southampton - her home since she was launched all those years ago, until last year. After so many years service she was turned away from our shores, and bought by a foreign country that could obviously see her true potential.

For me, QE2 should be moored on the Thames in London. What better setting for her?, and what better chance for filling her to capacity on a regular basis?.

But Schreihals, I whole heartedly agree with you, much better to see her live on registered elsewhere, rather than seeing the name QE2 Southampton sitting on a beach somewhere waiting to be broken up.

Comment

Thank you very much for those inputs! It's interesting to read them because I do so well understand your sentiments and I can easily transfer the exactly same sentiments to the SS Norway...

To me, Norway was the ultimate Norwegian flags hip and ambassador. She should have been kept Norwegian, and she should have been saved. But, then again, she was very tired.

I miss the Norway, probably a lot more than the QE2 because of my personal connection. But I do also remember meeting the QE2 at sea whilst on the Norway: it was truly special because for a short while, two ocean liners met like in the old days... and I was in command on one of them. It was special, very special moment.

I like the idea of having the QE2 in London as a hotel instead. She was as British as the Big Ben, the Tower Bridge, the Concorde, and the Buckingham Palace. QE2 was indeed a British flag ship, in every sense of the word.

Comment

Does anyone have any news concerning the QE2? I have read a couple of times that her planned trip to South Africa is looking unlikely due to the South African tourist board protesting that QE2 would take much needed business away from their own hotels.

Does anyone know for certain if this is the true state of affairs? If so, I wonder how this loss of revenue will affect her future? How much longer can Nakheel afford to keep her in her current condition without any money coming in? It must be costing them ten's of thousands £££ per month just to keep her in a good condition. How long before they simply 'lay her up' as a dead ship or simply sell her on?

Comment

I'm interested, too...because if she's in CapeTown in Feb, I will get to see her!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
                          I'm interested, too...because if she's in CapeTown in Feb, I will get to see her!!!!!!!!!!
                          That would be great! But i also like the idea that she will still be in a seaworthy condition. And in my eyes that simply means she is still very much ALIVE!
                          Nothing is worse for a ship than sitting around immobile for months or years on end. While her heart still beats the blood should still be flowing around her veins!
                          I certainly hope she does get to 'stretch' her legs on a sea passage to South Africa.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                            I certainly hope she does get to 'stretch' her legs on a sea passage to South Africa.
                            To end your sentence; "and on to Southampton afterwards" ???

Comment

Some pictures of "QE 2" on her way in to Tromsø last year.This was her final call at Tromsø.What a beauty

Last edited by Azimut; November 15th, 2009, 15:23.
                              Best wishes from
                              Bengt Domben

Comment

Originally posted by Asimut View Post
                                Some pictures of "QE 2" on her way in to Tromsø last year.This was her final call at Tromsø.What a beauty

This is such a S-T-U-N-N-I-N-G image. Absolutely god-smacking beautiful! Fantastic!

Comment

Working...
                                X