Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 - the story continues.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

y'all keep me posted!!! I'm in a situation that Pakarang has wanted all along, I think--I have to come to CV for my news, as I have limited internet time, few news channels on board, and need all my info quickly!!!

Comment

The latest AiS tracking is showing various speeds and directions within the harbour area at Dubai just after (our) lunchtime .

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/def...09%20%201:12PM

It's obvious that some of the positions are incorrect because they are over ground and the breakwater. I've seen these sort of small movements reported before and they have just been variances around the same spot but not usually when speed readings. Yesterday, there was no movement shown at all when she was at anchor so are today's movements likely to be real?

How is the speed reported? by the ship- which then transmits the information? or calculated by external means according to the position information received?
      Last edited by Gaelsail; July 20th, 2009, 16:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Gaelsail View Post
        The latest AiS tracking is showing various speeds and directions within the harbour area at Dubai just after (our) lunchtime .

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/def...09%20%201:12PM

It's obvious that some of the positions are incorrect because they are over ground and the breakwater. I've seen these sort of small movements reported before and they have just been variances around the same spot but not usually when speed readings. Yesterday, there was no movement shown at all when she was at anchor so are today's movements likely to be real?

How is the speed reported? by the ship- which then transmits the information? or calculated by external means according to the position information received?
        The AIS is connected to the ships GPS and takes the readings from there.

It could be movement trials before a possible longer sea trial?
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I am only guessing, but i assume that speed and direction are reported from external sources - namely GPS. It is fairly normal for a ship at anchor to show some speed indications and movement. This will be due to the ship moving with wind and tide whilst moored/anchored. I have often looked at my own position and speed on the ships GPS plotter whilst at anchor, not unusual to see a little speed being reported in one direction or another, obviously it only reads for a very brief time before the ship moves back the other way. I should imagine that it is this that's being recorded by AIS.
          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Page last updated at 19:48 GMT, Monday, 20 July 2009 20:48 UK:

'QE2 to be moved to South Africa'

The QE2 owners are in final talks to move the ship to Cape Town in South Africa to become a hotel in time for the 2010 football World Cup.
            http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...re/8160146.stm

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Drydocking

The ship was said to be drydocking on Friday for surveys so she could sail to South Africa... news report.

Comment

Good news that she is going to be kept in a seaworthy condition for a while to come yet. But wouldn't it be great if she also was to find use as a floating hotel for the 2012 Olympics in London? Maybe a career as a movable hotel could prove to be good for her.
                Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                  Good news that she is going to be kept in a seaworthy condition for a while to come yet. But wouldn't it be great if she also was to find use as a floating hotel for the 2012 Olympics in London? Maybe a career as a movable hotel could prove to be good for her.
                  Now that would be a really good idea!

(I've just checked and she is still in drydock according to the AiS )
                  Last edited by Gaelsail; July 26th, 2009, 18:24.

Comment

The QE2 & myself in 1973, when she used to berth in the old Ocean Terminal Dock, or as it used to be known as the old White Star Dock.

Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

Some more views of the Queen in 1973. Sorry for the quality, the camera wasn't a very good one.

Comment

QE2,het last call in Rotterdam at 18-07-2008 at her farewell trip around the world.

goodbye your highness ,and stay away from alang

best regards Thijs

Comment

Doesn't she look nice in these photographs? very good photos.

Comment

This is a terrific site of Rob Lightbody & QE2, well worth a visit.

Rob Lightbody QE2

The Queen in drydock preparing for South Africa

QE2 Drydock

Comment

Hello,

I hope they have take time (and money too) to repair the severe bow thruster leaking (since 2007) or to weld the doors of the thrusters permanently.

Very good job and now I hope she will be soon ready to sail with her own power for her new role. The list of work was really impressive, but only a few will be realized to be seaworthy (not all the red dots will be corrected). It's anymore a ship with passengers and she is exempted of a few aspects.

http://www.cdlive.lr.org/vesselstatus.asp?LRNO=6725418

Comment

I find it really strange that she is no longer sailing as a regular cruise ship...

It gives me goose bumps to realize that she, and the big blue, are gone from the regular cruise schedules...

A new era is indeed on the way...

Comment

Working...
                                X