Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 - the story continues.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #76
    I've been thinking more about this. QINHUANGDAO isn't a name you would type in by mistake? (unless you were used to sailing there).

    They do say that China has a lot of the world's currency reserves.

    Comment


      #77
      I cannot find the actual Light Ship Weight for QE 2, but somewhere it was stated that her displacement is 76,000 m.t.. assuming that is fully laden displ. and somewhere around 6,000 m.t of that is in the form of bunker, fresh water, stores and pax. that leave about 70,000 m.t. light ship.

      With the present market rate for scrap ships abt. USD 350/LWT that put her "market value" at around USD 25 Mill., which is HALF of what was paid for her. Even if a premium is paid for this ship due to the "nostalgic value" of her furniture and fitting, I don't think DP World will be able to recover their costs by selling her as scrap.

      Although sitting idle in Dubai will cost a pretty penny every day, I don't think that will justify a loss of USD 25 Mill. + the cost already incurred for several months being idle. (But maybe that is regarded as "peanuts" by the Sheiks)

      Cape Town for the World Cup next year is a more likely scenario.
      What will happend thereafter is anybodies guess.

      Comment


        #78
        The last price for a ship was USD 220 /LDT. It's the MV GOLDEN PRINCESS and it was sold to a Chinese ship-breaker. And it's a very easy ship to dismantle.

        The MV Regal Empress is closer and closer to the beach, but the price asked for is too high for a time consuming ship to dismantle. As the ship is now arrived at Alang, a few miles from the beach, MCC is trying to have the "less worst" price for the ship, because they do not want to leave a small crew on the RE during the heavy rain season.

        The scarp market is full, prices are low, Alang is almost complete and Aliaga (Turkey) is full. Just have a look at Exim-india. MCS is sending a lot of his 20-30 years old Cont.Ship, easy to dismantle. China is a solution ... And 4-5 others are on the market for sale (Jades)

        The QE2, for the moment, it's only an AIS information ... be careful. It's not something sure. And China doesn't mean scrap necessarily.

        Comment


          #79
          Originally posted by ombugge View Post
          I cannot find the actual Light Ship Weight for QE 2, but somewhere it was stated that her displacement is 76,000 m.t.. assuming that is fully laden displ. and somewhere around 6,000 m.t of that is in the form of bunker, fresh water, stores and pax. that leave about 70,000 m.t. light ship.
          Is one of these weight that you were looking for?
          • Gross Tonnage: 70,327 (originally 69,053)
          • Net Tonnage: 37,182 (originally 36,038)
          • Deadweight Tonnage: 11,649

          Source www.qe2.org.uk
          Last edited by Gaelsail; July 19th, 2009, 16:58.

          Comment


            #80
            Originally posted by Gaelsail View Post
            Is one of these weight that you were looking for?
            • Gross Tonnage: 70,327 (originally 69,053)
            • Net Tonnage: 37,182 (originally 36,038)
            • Deadweight Tonnage: 11,649

            Source www.qe2.org.uk
            Thanks Gailsail.
            The GRT/NRT doesn't say anything about the LWT, but the Deadweight does. If the Loaded displacement is in fact 76,000 m.t and the DWT 11,649 still, the Lightweight will be even lower, at approx. 64,400 m.t.
            The Scrap Value thus approx. USD 22.5 Mill., based on USD 350/LWT.

            I don't know if that makes any difference for the Sheiks though?

            I didn't see the Post above re: Scrap Prices before hitting the Submit button. At USD 220/LWT that makes her Scrap value USD 14 - 15 Mill.
            Last edited by ombugge; July 19th, 2009, 17:19. Reason: correction

            Comment


              #81
              Originally posted by ombugge View Post
              Thanks Gailsail.
              The GRT/NRT doesn't say anything about the LWT, but the Deadweight does. If the Loaded displacement is in fact 76,000 m.t and the DWT 11,649 still, the Lightweight will be even lower, at approx. 64,400 m.t.
              The Scrap Value thus approx. USD 22.5 Mill., based on USD 350/LWT.

              I don't know if that makes any difference for the Sheiks though?

              I didn't see the Post above re: Scrap Prices before hitting the Submit button. At USD 220/LWT that makes her Scrap value USD 14 - 15 Mill.
              You've got me interested in these calcs now. Can you please explain this further? what do the different weights mean?

              Comment


                #82
                I think only that Nakheel needs to find a solution for the ship as the project of - what I call - "The Maritime Barnum" is over. With a crew of 40 people, the port cost, etc ... they have to find the best way to put the ship out of Dubai. And Dubai needs space... space is money. Temporally or permanently is another question, with as little noise as possible (the Norway experience was a lesson).

                South Africa as an accommodation or hotel, China (the same) is one of the solution. The scrapping is another, but I don't think it will be announced "now". It could be like the Norway ...

                They will loose some money (nothing at the scale of Nakhell) and that's all

                Comment


                  #83
                  Originally posted by Gaelsail View Post
                  You've got me interested in these calcs now. Can you please explain this further? what do the different weights mean?
                  Gross and Net tonnage is a measure of Volume, not weight at all. Lots of rules and regulations, incl. manning, are based on Gross Tonnage, as is Port Dues etc. in most countries, while net tonnage is much less used these days. Basically, Gross tonnage is the volume of the entire vessel, but with a lot of exceptions and "tricks" to keep it low, which would take too long to get into here. Net Tonnage is volume of the Cargo Holds/Tanks or whatever spaces is "revenue earning".

                  Now the actual tonnages, as a measurement of weight:
                  Displacement is, as the name implies, the weight of the water that the ship displaces at various times, which equals the weight of the ship, incl. cargo etc.
                  Loaded displacement is the weight of the ship when loaded to her max. allowed Load Line, while Light Ship displacement is the weight of the hull and machinery only.
                  The difference between them is the Deadweight Tonnage, or the max. weight the ship can carry in the form of Cargo, Bunker Fuel, Water, Stores and the weight of Crew and Pax and their belongings, especially if a Cruise ship.

                  For obvious reasons the Deadweight of a Cruise Ship is not a meaningful measure of her capacity. Neither is Gross/Net Tonnage, or even Displacement in most cases, but it is the best we got, aside from max. number of Pax and her length over all.

                  Hope this helps, but it probably should have been under a different thread, as it doesn't do much for the QE 2.

                  Comment


                    #84
                    Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                    Gross and Net tonnage is a measure of Volume, not weight at all. Lots of rules and regulations, incl. manning, are based on Gross Tonnage, as is Port Dues etc. in most countries, while net tonnage is much less used these days. Basically, Gross tonnage is the volume of the entire vessel, but with a lot of exceptions and "tricks" to keep it low, which would take too long to get into here. Net Tonnage is volume of the Cargo Holds/Tanks or whatever spaces is "revenue earning".

                    Now the actual tonnages, as a measurement of weight:
                    Displacement is, as the name implies, the weight of the water that the ship displaces at various times, which equals the weight of the ship, incl. cargo etc.
                    Loaded displacement is the weight of the ship when loaded to her max. allowed Load Line, while Light Ship displacement is the weight of the hull and machinery only.
                    The difference between them is the Deadweight Tonnage, or the max. weight the ship can carry in the form of Cargo, Bunker Fuel, Water, Stores and the weight of Crew and Pax and their belongings, especially if a Cruise ship.

                    For obvious reasons the Deadweight of a Cruise Ship is not a meaningful measure of her capacity. Neither is Gross/Net Tonnage, or even Displacement in most cases, but it is the best we got, aside from max. number of Pax and her length over all.

                    Hope this helps, but it probably should have been under a different thread, as it doesn't do much for the QE 2.
                    thanks, that's really interesting. (agree about it going off-topic, perhaps Pakarang would prefer to move it?)

                    Comment


                      #85
                      Originally posted by Gaelsail View Post
                      thanks, that's really interesting. (agree about it going off-topic, perhaps Pakarang would prefer to move it?)
                      I copied the post to the Chart Table.
                      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

                      Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

                      Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

                      Comment


                        #86
                        For the moment, we're going to be lead along on a string boys...and I'm not liking this one bit.
                        sigpicI will never forget the lovely grand SS NORWAY.
                        Past Cruises on her: August 22, 1992. June 4, 1994, April 7, 2002.
                        Nearly had our fourth cruise, it was set for November 7, 2003...
                        the boiler room disaster of May 4, 2003 took her out of service.
                        We ended up on the NORWEGIAN WIND, not the same as the SS NORWAY

                        Comment


                          #87
                          I have not been around for a couple of days, but i find all of this very worrying. But surely they would not consider scrap value without out at least offering her for sale first? $22.5 is a great deal less than what they paid for her, so i cannot understand why they would consider scrapping without at least trying to sell her first.

                          Having said that, none of us know what conditions of sale were agreed when Cunard sold her, maybe they stated she could not be sold on?

                          Either way, the news that she is on the move is very concerning, after all, if the Arabs cannot afford her in the current financial climate, then who can?
                          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

                          Comment


                            #88
                            At the moment, I just hope and pray that it is indeed a move for refurbishment or some other role... anything else other than scrapping.

                            We got to keep an eye on this movement, and try to trace her route as best as we can...
                            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

                            Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

                            Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

                            Comment


                              #89
                              I totally agree with you.
                              sigpicI will never forget the lovely grand SS NORWAY.
                              Past Cruises on her: August 22, 1992. June 4, 1994, April 7, 2002.
                              Nearly had our fourth cruise, it was set for November 7, 2003...
                              the boiler room disaster of May 4, 2003 took her out of service.
                              We ended up on the NORWEGIAN WIND, not the same as the SS NORWAY

                              Comment


                                #90
                                She has now disappeared off the http://www.marinetraffic.com tracking but did appear at www.vesseltracker.com at 05:35 this morning.

                                Perhaps they have switched it off again?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X