Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 - the story continues.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

move to Cape Town?

As we know, there have been rumours circulating for some weeks now and they have been getting stronger in the last week... now the BBC is reporting this as a possibility.

BBC News
    Last edited by Gaelsail; July 14th, 2009, 20:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Gaelsail View Post
      As we know, there have been rumours circulating for some weeks now and they have been getting stronger in the last week... now the BBC is reporting this as a possibility.

BBC News
      Not surprised at all....

First, they completely brushed off any rumors of any change of plan, but now, they (Nakheel) seem to have some plans in their drawer anyway. It's like ..... a proof that when they completely dishonor any rumors, there are some truth to them after all...

Well, South Africa could be an option, as well as Southampton. But from what I can gather in the article, this is only a temporary solution whilst the real project is put on hold (their first officially known intent for the ship).
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

AIS tracking is announcing for today that she is at Dubaï, next port ...

QINHUANGDAO (China)

http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Ship...2-6725418.html

AIS information is only AIS information (orders or route could change at anytime), but China is also ... China.

Comment

Originally posted by Lenkinap View Post
          AIS tracking is announcing for today that she is at Dubaï, next port ...

QINHUANGDAO (China)

http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Ship...2-6725418.html

AIS information is only AIS information (orders or route could change at anytime), but China is also ... China.
          Strange one that, it also says
          ETA: 12.07.2009 04:00 but Last seen : 19.07.2009 07:17

AiS at http://www.marinetraffic.com/ reads:
          Destination: DUBAI
          ETA: 2009-11-26 09:00
          Info Received: 2009-07-19 08:44 (0d, 0h 48min 43s ago)

I hope there is no significance to this !

Comment

She is on the move, you can be sure. But where ?

The AIS order from vessel tracker was given by an executive of the QE2 (radio mostly by order of the captain), no one else has access to the material .

Is it true or is it something wrong (to give a false track, then a change) ? It's always possible...

China doesn't mean directly scrap, it could also be dry-dock (less expensive), refurbishment, etc.. before her next activity (as stated by Nakeel). It could also mean scrap, you are right. That why I wrote "China is ... China"

In my mind, it was only an information (with a link, not rumors)
            Last edited by Lenkinap; July 19th, 2009, 12:10.

Comment

That is certainly a VERY worrisome new piece of information.

China is as mentioned, China... the refurbishment option in China isn't exactly in the world class I would suspect Nakheel would go for. Taiwan maybe, at the extreme, but not China. There are so many other more professional places to refurbish the ship, other than China.

I'm worried, very worried...

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Looking at Google Earth, QINHUANGDAO, doesn't seem like a place with any significant shipyards able to convert such a ship, though, there are obviously many ore-loading facilities there, in addition to some rusty laid up ships.

Comment

Hi Jan-Olav

Could you confirm how an AIS order is given ? It's only from executive staff, by an order of the captain ? Or can it be given by someone else ?

Comment

Originally posted by Lenkinap View Post
                    Hi Jan-Olav

Could you confirm how an AIS order is given ? It's only from executive staff, by an order of the captain ? Or can it be given by someone else ?
                    The AIS destination and ETA is normally entered into an AIS device (/sender) on the bridge by the navigator on duty at the time, usually immediately before the vessel sails, and as a part of the set bridge departure routines.

Comment

OK, it's clear for me now. It is a planned route, but it may be amended at any time.

Comment

She has moved, but she is now at anchor. She is the first dark blue square in the black circle. Some tugs are around her.

Comment

I must say, I'm very worried about this new development. I have trawled the website(s) of Nakheel and I have not been able to find any information on the un-expected move to China...

I have read up a bit on the destination port, but naturally, this port could change at any time during the voyage.

I just don't like the sound of the news that she is heading to China.

As far as I remember, during the long battle with SS Norway, there were many people fearing a Chinese destination port because there wouldn't be anything in the world anybody could do to stop the scrapping in mighty China. In the aftermath, we off course also learned that there is nothing in the world, or anyone in the world, who can do anything against mighty India as well.

But if destination was indeed SOuth Africa for example, why would they put a port like this Chinese port into their voyage plan? Why not Singapore or any other port along the way to her next destination.

The question is whether she wll be doing the voyage alone, or assisted by tugs as in a tow. Has she taken on fuel in Dubai before she left the pier, and who is manning her at the moment?

Comment

I'm trying to have information about fuel, but it depends on contract between Nakhell and Cunard. Is she allowed to sail with her own power (is she still able to do it is another question) ? I have no information about his registry country (it seems to be still UK, but maybe the data are not updated).

We have to be very careful about AIS information, but it's not a rumor. AIS data was sent by someone "important" from the QE2, true or false ... we will see. The maritime world if sometimes very dark, but it's a bad news if it's confirmed in the next few days.

The worst problem is that a vessel is manufactured to sail and not to be a "maritime Barnum" and the future of an unused ship is - at 95% - scrap. Queen Mary is not very profitable, Rotterdam will be a financial disaster (I guess, but I hope to be wrong) and the current economical situation all around the world is not very funny. So, a "Barnum Ship" is a big risk every time, and today is a VERY big risk.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                              I have read up a bit on the destination port, but naturally, this port could change at any time during the voyage.

I just don't like the sound of the news that she is heading to China.
                              I too looked up QINHUANGDAO and found a few references to the SS Oriana which was bought by them at one point between being a hotel ship and tourist attraction. Link

Comment

It's a possibility, Oriana is now gone and scrapped. When she was moved to Dalian after being a long while in Shanghai as "attraction", in 2004 Oriana was damaged in a storm; repairs proved to be unfeasible and she was towed to a ship breakers yard at Zhangiagang and dismantled there in 2005. She has been for a while a government accommodation hotel and center at Qinhuangdao.

http://www.maritimematters.com/oriana.html
                                Last edited by Lenkinap; July 19th, 2009, 15:21. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                                X