Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 - the story continues.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gaelsail View Post
    Some of the info is obviously incorrect and some suspicious
    I also noticed these comments, they immediately gave me reason to have very big doubts about this report. Also, if you look at TDM99's post above showing the QE2 viewed from the QM2's webcam you can see no signs of anything happening at all, not even much activity on the quay side.

I would also find it impossible to believe that Dubai would do such a thing without even offering her for sale first. Why pay £50million only to scrap her less than 6 months later? I think her current owners are only too aware of just how much an iconic ship the QE2 really is. They wanted an attraction that was truly unique, and they have certainly got that with the QE2. She is as famous as the Statue of Liberty, the Eithel Tower, or the Tower of London, and the shrewd Arabs know it!
    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

From another board: they found this statement on the net:

According to reports from Dubai many items from QE2 are being auctioned off to raise money for local charities. Although the new owners deny all knowledge, there are suggestions that some Wedgwood crockery had been discarded in rubbish skips. It seems a world cruise map signed by Commodore Ronald Warwick and a wooden carving presented to QE2 by one of the Pacific islands has also been sold. However the really valuable articles, such as the original paintings of the Queen and the Queen Mother, together with a collection of silver teaspoons, are in store waiting to become exhibits in a museum that will part of QE2 tourist attraction in Dubai.
      No guarantees and no confirmation that this has actually happened. Seems like there is a lot of rumors being created trying to indicate something going wrong. Let's wait and see till we have a firm statement to base on.
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Just found this news report with comments from one of her former captains Commodore Ronald Warwick.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/4239...he_web_untrue/
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

I hope the Daily Echo is right about false rumours Steve. Although I do find by past experience that where there is smoke, fire is not far behind. My gut feeling tells me that, the new ownership of the QE2 will go terribly wrong at some point. Then again I hope my gut feeling is wrong!
          Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

Yes i certainly hope the recent rumours are unfounded, though if you look on Maritime Matters news page you will read that the QE2 was recently taken out on a little test drive in order to keep the engines in good condition!

http://www.maritimematters.com/shipnews.html

This can only be good news.

Comment

Yep! I read this today too. That is a least a bit of good news that are even thinking of keeping her engines in running order. I wonder though, how much longer will interest in a 40 year old veteran be maintained? Unlike the regular crackpot theories of the Queen Mary being brought back home. Eveytime I hear another one of those it makes me think "oh here we go again". Interesting as it is, the thing is you never hear from them how it would be achieved. At least QE2 is till running and capable of ocean transit.
              Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

I certainly think it does show commitment from the current owners, lets face it, just moving a vessel of her size away from the quay is a massive undertaking, let alone actually 'taking her for a spin'! it's just a tad more involved than just taking your little 30 footer out to charge the batteries up on a sunny afternoon! Lol, can you imagine the current owner saying to his wife, "won't be long dear, just taking the 'old girl' out for a spin".

Comment

Model of the proposed Hotel QE2 in Dubai.
                  Brilliant!!
                  Take the symbol of ocean liner travel in the 21st century and make her more like the floating shoe boxes of today.
                  Should be a crime to deface a work of art in such a way. Nevermind that you should be shot for scrapping one either.
                  At least there appears to be no glass funnel.
                  Is that a pool at the bow, just aft of the anchor windlass?

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/l...9-f6d36e76c4b3

Comment

are those people crazy? Why do they want to ruin her appearance and make her look like all the other floating bricks? Well, scrapping her isn't a good thing either, but this is a very bad alternative. I think ships should be preserved as they are or should be restored to their original historic appearance, but they shouldn't be rebuilt in this terrible looking way. I just wish she would have become a hotel or something in her home country, where she belongs.

Comment

I agree, she should be in her home country. I don't think there is enough interest in the government to do so, and that's a shame. I mean this is a ship that was christened by Her Majesty, and her importance in history cannot be overstated. The good news is that this transformation into this altered state won't happen right away. Perhaps it will take place in stages. You can also count on her interiors changing too, as they will most likely gut decks 6 from 4 and I doubt they will keep her engines in place.

Comment

I totally agree, i think it's a disgrace that she did not find a home in this country. The ship is British through and through. And as you say, she was christened by Her Majesty, and unlike the Queen Mary she carries the name of our current Monarch.

On the subject of the proposed new looks for her, well, i share your views. But i will add that if she does end up looking like the model then i think we have got away lightly. To be honest i was expecting her new look to be far worse.
                        I was not expecting the aft section of her superstructure to stay anything like what they are proposing, i was expecting to see a lot more of her upper decks extended backwards. That would have totally destroyed her profile, so i think we should be grateful for that small mercy. It also looks like a little thought as also been given to the area where the lifeboats currently sit. Yes, in the model the lifeboats are gone, but at least the side of the superstructure steps in on that level - i was half expecting to see the upper decks extended outwards to the same extent as the lower decks, giving her the look of a block of flats.
                        And we are also lucky because it would appear that the funnel stays.
                        Don't get me wrong, i hate the fact that she is over sea's and is about to be pulled apart - so much history being swept aside etc. but at least i can glance at that model and see straight away that it's the QE2. I do not like the new look, but like i say, i was expecting a lot worse.

Comment

^I was also expecting the conversion to be a lot worse

still I'm not really happy with the way she looks

Comment

Came across this note today:

This was to be the Queen Mary 1 replacement. Essentially a 3 class liner not easily convertible for cruises. The idea was shelved and we got the Q4 which became QE2 that captured our imaginations for 4 decades.

One big difference was QE2 had twin screws instead of quadrouple which allows for economical slow speed operation [source: Peter Kohler]

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

One thing that i notice straight away is the caption under the photo: "The disaster so closely averted: model of Q3".

Okay, the funnels are a bit strange, but if you compare this to the ships that are being turned out today - Queen Victoria for example, then i think it's a fantastic looking ship! If the designers of 50 years ago could have seen 50 years into the future, then they would have had something to really moan about! Like i say, with the exceptions of those funnels i quite like it. But i have to say they made the right choice going for the Q4 design.

Comment

It reminds me of an early QE2 model with the funnel of the Rotterdam...

Comment

Working...
                                X