Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 - the story continues.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Louis, thanks for the tip on "QE2-TheLegend.com". I found it to be interesting. May join up.
    If I may ask? Does anyone here have any up to date news on whats going on with the QE2??
    Thanks much

Comment

Re: RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 - the story continues.

I just stumbled upon some images of the QE2 in fairly heavy weather:

Going down...

... Going up...

Might look bad, but then you have to remember that the QE2 was bilt for this kind of weather conditions, with her long bow protecting the bridge, decks and the superstructure. The Queen Victoria on the other hand obviously wasn't built for it:

Olympus user
      E-M1, E-M5
      w/ Lots of new and old (adapted lenses)...

Hurtigruten ships traveled on:
      MS Richard With, MS Nordnorge, MS Nordkapp, MS Nordlys, MS Finnmarken, MS Midnatsol (Both old and new)

Cruise ships traveled on:
      MS Sunbird, former RCI Song of America, now MS Louis Olympia (August 2002)
      MS Adventure of the Seas (October 2010)
      MS Vision of the Seas (June 2012)
      MS Enchantment of the Seas (October 2016)

Comment

The answer to this problem is obvious.
        X-Bow!!!
        With an X-bow you can have superstructure all the way to the bow, and yet be able to handle rough weather.
        Ulstein will have a hell of a sales pitch once the front gets stowed in and people died on one of these shoe boxes.

Comment

I spotted an article on the BBC News website the other day that contained video footage taken aboard the QE2 in April of this year. The video was taken by QE2 enthusiast Rob Lightbody. Not sure how, but he obtained the necessary permissions to do the filming. He is in the process of making a DVD of all the video that he's taken, information can be found on his own website.

I was going to post a link to the BBC News page that contained the video footage, but with a small bit of investigative work i found out that Rob had very kindly already uploaded a great deal of the video to YouTube. The BBC article was very short, but these videos will be a delight for all QE2 fans to watch. I have not watched them all yet, but from what i have seen, it certainly seems that the old girl is in good hands and is being well cared for.

There are over 20 of these videos, so i will not embed them all, i will embed the first couple and then simply link to the rest.

All of the other video's he took in April of this year can be found on his YouTube page here. I think he's uploaded at least 25 in total.
          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Thank you so much for those links and videos. After I'm done here, I'll sit down and watch them all.

My ultimate question for this vessel has lately been quite simply: what now?

What is the future for this Queen?
            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
              Thank you so much for those links and videos. After I'm done here, I'll sit down and watch them all.

My ultimate question for this vessel has lately been quite simply: what now?

What is the future for this Queen?
              I've now seen all the 25 videos and I do have some things that stuck to my mind...

Firstly, it is really sad that we didn't make such a record of the SS Norway during her lay up.

Secondly, it is so sad to see her so empty of guests, but once we got down to the crews mess, it was all alive.

Thirdly, the whistle of the ship in video 24 is awesome!

Fourthly, the website these videos are made for is brilliant ( www.theqe2story.com ). I really wish that also www.captainsvoyage.com in the future would be such a great site like that, but to make that happen, I need a lot of help, and after having asked and begged for stories and material so many times, I've close to given up that project. There is just so many that competes making new sites and that takes all the information I have worked hard on finding, and use it to create other sites and blogs. After opening CV.com most of my images have been copied all across the Internet without any credit whatsoever, as if they were public property. And that, I really hate after spending so much time - and money - putting it together.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

This picture of the QE2 arriving in Rabaul, New Britain, PNG was used in the "What place" thread, but it can bear being shown here as well:

It is taken from the PNG Port Authority's website.
                I have no idea which year this was taken, but maybe Louise will know?

Comment

The photo was taken on the 1st March 2007

Comment

Here's a photo I took of the QE2 in 1980, this was the Queen passing through the Solent on her way to the USA.

Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

Oh Paul..., this reminds me that I have to go to bed right now.
                      Driving from home at 4 AM to take the 5 AM ferry from Molde to go to Ålesund and get my images of a Q....., QM2 this time
                      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

In this article ( http://reise.adressa.no/reise/nyhete...cle4194502.ece ) they state that there is not enough hotel rooms in London when the Olympic games comes to town, and that the Olympic Committee is planning on chartering hotel accommodation ships to fill up the demand for beds.

The interesting thing is that they have used an image of the QE2 as a sample "hotel ship" even though she has never been used as a hotel in her static role in Dubai (yet).

Comment

Came across this shocking news:

The Queen Elizabeth II Cruise Ship Is Being Dismantled In Dubai

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-q...n-dubai-2009-3
                          But, checking in at the most reliable source, Maritime Matters, it appears as if there is no hold to such rumors.

Comment

damndamndamndamndamn
                            best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
                              damndamndamndamndamn
                              I wouldn't put too much into the rumors on Business Insider... as long as Maritime Matters reports all still well.

Comment

where is smoke there is fire.
                                lets hope she will be saved
                                best regards Thijs

Comment

Working...
                                X