Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 - the story continues.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With her up for sale, almost anything can happen.... (biting nails)...
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Hello,

It's like everything in the business. If you have a good business plan, some money ... you can have the rest and do a good business. But liners converted (bad or good) have almost always proved that they loose money. And not only a few bucks, a lot of money...

So if Cunard have no restrictive article in the sale contract with Dubai (I'm doubtful), a group with great ambition could do something good with QE2. She is not so far from Solas 2010 ... but it should cost a lot of money for a such old vessel.

If her future is to be a maritime floating Barnum anywhere, the dignity is to sell her directly to scrappers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sigve View Post
        I found Queen Elizabeth 2 in Dubai on my Google Earth. The picture date says 15. august 2009. She lays in a shipyard close to Dubai city. In another thread it is discussed if this is a scrapping yard or an ordinary yard.
        I don't know if this is news to you, and neither I know what this means regarding her fate.
        ---
        Regards; Sigve.
        That was a nice find Sigve. That must have been taken when she was moved for dry docking last year.

I know that she is now back alongside the main quay. QM2 was in Dubai just over a week ago, and she berthed a few hundred yards astern of her on the quay. When the QM2 departed she drew alongside the QE2 and the pair of them exchanged whistle blasts!

Here is a link to a page that contains a photo of her taken just over a week ago, she looks to be in very good shape.

Image of QE2 taken just over a week ago.

I have read reports elsewhere from passengers on the QM2 that said she looked to be in fine shape. I have also read elsewhere that her main generators are being run in turn on a constant basis, and that her main electric propulsion motors are being powered up on a regular basis. Also, pipework in various places on the ship has been re-newed, and that the air-conditioning has been improved and is being run on a constant basis. She also has a full time crew of 35 people keeping an eye on her.

All in all it sounds like she is being well looked after, which can only be good news.
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

I have found further photos taken by QM2 passengers during her meeting with the QE2 a week or so ago.

Lots of nice photos of her in this gallery.

http://gallery.me.com/lesleyblake#10...lack&view=grid
          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Lenkinap View Post

So if Cunard have no restrictive article in the sale contract with Dubai (I'm doubtful), a group with great ambition could do something good with QE2. She is not so far from Solas 2010 ... but it should cost a lot of money for a such old vessel.
            I have also wondered about this, I also cannot believe that Cunard would not have put some kind of restriction clause in the contract when they sold her. Do any members have any information regarding this?? I simply cannot believe Cunard would make it possible for someone else to run one of their ex Queens in direct competition with themselves.

Having said that, I have heard no rumours that Dubai are not allowed to sell her on to another company, and if that is the case, surely any conditions of sale that existed between Cunard and Dubai could not be carried over to a new owner? That was the very reason why P&O retained ownership of the 'Canberra' until she had been broken to the extent that she could not be put back together. That way she could not be sold on as a working ship.

I would dearly like to know what the Cunard conditions of sale were, if they were any where as strict as the P&O conditions with Canberra, then maybe Dubai will not have the option of selling her to anyone other than breakers, unless they decommission her to an extent where it would not be possible to get her back into service.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
              I have also wondered about this, I also cannot believe that Cunard would not have put some kind of restriction clause in the contract when they sold her. Do any members have any information regarding this?? I simply cannot believe Cunard would make it possible for someone else to run one of their ex Queens in direct competition with themselves.
              I don't have specific knowledge of the terms and conditions of sale between Cunard and Dubai World but a common term is; "not to be used, or sold on for further trading".

This type of clauses are most common for scrap sale, but can also be applied to other vessel sales, especially for "special purpose" vessels, with the type of trade prohibited specified, and/or with a time laps.

Comment

Some very nice high resolution photos of her in Dubai can be found on this link:

http://cunardqueens.wordpress.com/20...ith-the-queen/

The photos were taken at the end of November 2009. Just click on the photos to see the high resolution versions.

Comment

Great detail shots there! Thank you so very much.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Some images of QE2 in her better days, taken at Spitzbergen (Norway):

http://shipsforum.dk/phpbb2/viewtopi...er=asc&start=0

Comment

Great Pictures. But the problem is inside. She couldn't be Solas 2010 compliant and only to sail with passengers until 2011 she has a big survey program to do. Just have a look here:

https://www.cdlive.lr.org/vesselstatus.asp?LRNO=6725418

It's heavy, really heavy. So a static role, one more time I'm not optimistic at long term. It works the first years and after it declines. Just have a look how the QM is today, she is really tired and in need of very important steel working. Without earning a dollar, she is loosing money.

I sincerely hope that a solution other than Alang could be found for the QE2 because that vessel is representative of the last "classic" transatlantic liners. Even if she has been transformed from steam to diesel ...

Comment

Originally posted by Lenkinap View Post
                        Great Pictures. But the problem is inside. She couldn't be Solas 2010 compliant and only to sail with passengers until 2011 she has a big survey program to do. Just have a look here:

https://www.cdlive.lr.org/vesselstatus.asp?LRNO=6725418

It's heavy, really heavy. So a static role, one more time I'm not optimistic at long term. It works the first years and after it declines. Just have a look how the QM is today, she is really tired and in need of very important steel working. Without earning a dollar, she is loosing money.

I sincerely hope that a solution other than Alang could be found for the QE2 because that vessel is representative of the last "classic" transatlantic liners. Even if she has been transformed from steam to diesel ...
                        The Queen Mary did not do as well because the developers gutted most of the ship's lower decks and altered some of the public areas. Also, the total renovation of the ship was never finished because they ran out of money. And the business model that they implimented should not have been approved to begin with. The planning of the Queen Mary was poorly organized.

I am not sure about the QE2's chances. But I certainly hope that from this moment onwards, we start to view the SS Rotterdam as a better business model to the Queen Mary. Despite the cost of its renovation, the SS Rotterdam is the only example of how to re-use an old oceanliner. And the reviews of the ship has been very positive.
                        Last edited by redlinekid2; February 21st, 2010, 12:19.

Comment

For the first time, I absolutely agree with you for SS Rotterdam. QE2, it depends on so many things. To be clear, she has just received a long needed coat of paint, a hull cleaning but nothing was done for classification survey. It was absolutely not necessary because she was scheduled to be transformed.

We do not know what the dry dock released at Dubai has reveled or if any measures (thickness, non destructive metallography study, etc) was performed. The list of red dots remains impressive ... So we have only to hope to find a proper solution for this great lady, but do not dream too much. As Cunard has probably put a clause of non sailing with passengers, only a transformation in an unaltered hotel ship/center is welcome. But the economical situation, the price asked for the QE2 are not in her favor.

Comment

Think we might have posted this one before, but it's a great video of the Queen and with some pretty stunning angles too:

One of my favorite angles is just before the fade out at 44 seconds.

At just after 2 minutes into the video clip, how peculiar is it: when she was the Pride of England, the Concorde was her companion, but here, the Airbus 380 is her new companion.

Some other recent shots of the Queen:

Comment

Hello,

Wait and see, but I do not see right now a solution for her with long term project. Dubai is like India: one day you have a version, the other day another. It's absolutely sure that the dry-docking was only to clean the vessel and to give her a long needed coat of paint. But what is under the paint remains a mystery. She was renowed to be leak a lot, not only by the thruster door seals but due to elongation and frequent rupture of plumbing. The hull structure was also reported as "tired". Safe but tired...

I'm doubtful that Cunard has given the permission to cruise with her, so an upgrade to Solas 2010 is a dream. And coastal navigation not a very good solution for a such sized cruiser. I'm not very optimistic ...

Comment

Recent interior shots from the QE2, and the story of an emerging ghost story from the ship:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...hid-Dubai.html

Comment

Working...
                                X