Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M/S HAMEN (A vessel nobody wants)

Check out this link: http://www.nrk.no/nyheter/distrikt/ostfold/1.6853232

10 pictures and a tv-video (scroll down) of a former North Sea and Baltic Sea cargo vessel, M/S HAMEN of Bergen, Norway.

The Directorate of Cultural Heritage (DCH) in Norway has this vessel on their list of ships they want to preserve. This is the last vessel of the type, in traffic from the 1930s to the 1970s.

The group behind the restauration and the owners (one and the same) towed the vessel to Norway for rebuilding, but docked on the swedish side of the borderfjord between Norway and Sweden, Iddefjorden, in 2005.
    In 2008 they got NOK 450.000,- to prepare for tow and drydocking of the ship and they got guaranty of NOK 1,5 million in 2009 on the condition that the vessel was towed to a shipyard, docked, secured, sandblasted, repaired (as neccessary) and painted.

To this day, the money (almost NOK 2 millions) are still untouched on the DCH account

This beauty deserves a better life!!!
    (Would be great to see interior images)

If, for any reason, nobody step forward and take responsibility...., the vessel should be sold for scrapping and the DCH should place the money on another project.
    I know at least one project that could do well with 2 millions (as a start)......, the steam trawler "Borgenes" in Kristiansund.
    That vessel has a group of people that wants her, but there are no money available whatsoever....
    Last edited by Sterkoder; November 10th, 2009, 23:54.
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

What a lovely vessel. It would certainly be good to see her preserved, she is a very important part of maritime history. There cannot be too many of these style of freighters left in the world now.

You must forgive me Sterkoder, again i must admit to not being able to understand the language Why have they not carried on with the preservation plans?, it would seem the money is there ready and waiting? And how far is she from a suitable drydock? Sadly she does not look like she will survive a lengthy tow.
    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Why have they not carried on with the preservation plans?,
      The group behind also have two other projects, KYSTEN and HESTMANDEN (very costly project that almost stand still), and being two large ships, this third one I belive is too much for the limited person group.
      The DCH awarded the money to show them that they belived in the project, and make it easier for the group to convince DCH that they really mean to take care of HAMEN.
      Other than that, I don't know.
      Last edited by Sterkoder; November 11th, 2009, 09:15.

Comment

Thank you Sterkoder, having the two other projects on the go must indeed make it hard for them. As we all know, just dealing with one preservation project is a very big job which is very time consuming. (And money consuming!)

I hope though that the M/S HAMEN does eventually get the help she needs, though i guess we must be realistic about the situation.

Out of interest i have been looking for some information about the other vessels you mentioned. I have not read it yet, but i just found this page on the internet. I will no doubt tell me something about the preservation project.

http://www.bredalsholmen.no/engelsk/index.html
        Last edited by Steve.B; November 11th, 2009, 15:53.
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Nothing much to find in the english language. Haven't found anything on KYSTEN, but here's HESTMANDENs main webpage http://www.hestmanden.no/index.html

Of all the languages in the world, for a reason beyond my mind, they've chosen to put french up as an alternative besides norwegian

Comment

Thank you for the link Sterkoder. And i have just learn't that if i copy and paste the address of that web page in to google, and pick it out from the results, i can use google to translate it for me! So i am off to read up on this work now - thank you again!

Comment

This image looks PS'ed.... the flag has been added maybe to try provoke an interest?

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
              Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
              Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

After reading through the website for the Hestmanden, I can see why they have their hands full at the moment. It's good to see the amount of work being done on the Hestmanden, she's got so much history behind her. I enjoyed watching the videos, gave me a real sense of what is being achieved. And interesting to watch the riveters at work. I think she will look fantastic once all the work is complete.

Oh yes, I agree with you Jan-Olav, after looking at the photo again i also think the flag as been added. It does not appear to be attached, plus it looks too new. Well spotted!
                Last edited by Steve.B; November 13th, 2009, 00:16. Reason: Adding txt

Comment

Re: M/S HAMEN (A vessel nobody wants)

from a dutch forum ''gallytalk'' = ''kombuispraat''.

HAMNEN of BERGEN.
                  ARRIVING TO PORT OF HIRTSHALS FOR REPAIRING

Location photo was taken: Hirtshals - Denmark
                  Date photo was taken: 8th. of December 2012.
                  best regards Thijs

Comment

here is the HAMEN in better days, like she was build in 1949 as POMPEY POWER by Austin & Son Ltd. in Sunderland, England as yardnumber 394. this was build in order of the city Portsmouth to deliver cole from of North-England the elektric power plant of Portsmouth. she did this together with her sister which was deliverd in the same year 1949 as POMPEY LIGHT. yardnumber 395.

from 1960 when the plants went over on oil and there wassn't much ask for cole,the sold the vessels. As first they sold the Pompey Power - the later Hamen - to Norway. The Pompey Light kept till 1968 sailing coles,and after that she was sold to De Smedt in Antwerp which dismolished her..

The Pompey Power wend in 1960 to Norway, to A/S Orion-Tandberg & Möinichen, and named her Tandik and brought her back in service. In 1962 she was sold again to Hans Utkilen in Bergen and named her Hamen.at this ocasion the triple expansion steam engine was replaced by a 9- cilinder Wichman diesel.after years sailing in europe, she was finally laid up in the neighberhood of Bergen in 1986.

after 10 years beeing neglected ,she was sold again in 1996 to Lupin Shipping Ltd., St Vincent, owns by a surten Alvar Olsson uit Varberg, Sweden. which towed the Hamen to Strömstad in Sweden, moored her and neglected her.

In 2005 the Hamen was sold to a Foundation m/v "Hamen" ex s/s "Tandik" planning to restore and make a museumvessel out of her.seven years long they didn't much on her,as can be seen on the images,but now it seems that they are gonna make a start. The Hirsthals Yard have according this DIT newspaperarticle of the norwegian owners the order to start the renovation. so probally to be continieud.

(i made a translation for you,the most of this family can't reed dutch)
                    best regards Thijs

Comment

and here data

best regards Thijs

Comment

more images

http://uexplorer.wordpress.com/tag/ms-hamen/
                        best regards Thijs

Comment

From what I know, isn't this ship sold for scrap and to be scrapped somewhere (Denmark?)?
                          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                          Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                          Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

it seems that the yard have to look if the hull is thick enough to restorate the vessel or to thin.

http://bambuser.com/v/3190281

don't know if it's swedish or norwagian talk.

best regards Thijs

Comment

Talk is in Swedish.
                              The ship will be towed to Denmark.
                              Swedish authorities was not satisfied with the preparations for the towage, so more work has to be done.
                              The locals interviewed are happy that this ship finally can be moved away.

Comment

Working...
                              X