No announcement yet.

Satellite images

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This one is from D, who captured the nice weather in Rome (especially compared with Scotland!) while Seagull and ehp were enjoying themselves!

Comment

Earth from Space: Fjords and islands of western Norway

The European Space Agency’s feature Image of the Week showed Bergen (though the image actually dates from December). It’s from the Japanese ALOS (Advanced Land Observing Satellite).
      If on this link you click on the image, you can then download a higher resolution version to zoom in on.
      http://www.esa.int/esaEO/SEMH60MZLAG_index_0.html

Comment

I can almost see m car in that one!
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

18 October 2010
          Super Typhoon Megi hits the Philippines

Data copyright © 2010 EUMETSAT & NOAA

Comment

Thailand floods

Some recent esa satellite images of Thailand:
            http://www.esa.int/esaEO/SEMCHMTWLUG_index_1.html

Comment

Re: Satellite images

Interesting satellite data showing nitrogen dioxide levels along some shipping routes.
              http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOT...5&src=eoa-iotd

Comment

This is really very interesting, Cecilia. In my relative ignorance of the kind of data that the satellites are recording I am impressed by the clarity and precision of what that image is portraying. I see that the British Isles squeezed into the image top left are surrounded by the densest colouring, not surprisingly! But also it's interesting about the band stretching from southern Africa to Australia (which at first I assumed indicated much used shipping areas) which is caused by the prevailing westerly winds and likewise the area further north is affected in reverse. Also impressive is the final para.:

"OMI is not the only satellite instrument observing NO2 levels in the atmosphere. The Global Ozone Monitoring Experiment (GOME) instruments on the European Space Agency’s ERS-2 and MetOp-A satellites, as well as the SCIAMACHY instrument on the Envisat satellite, have made similar measurements. In 2012, Dutch scientists published a study combining data from all four instruments to show that the NO2 signal over major shipping increased steadily between 2003 and 2008, then dropped sharply due to the global recession and reduction in ship traffic."

What are we doing to our planet?!
                Thank you for posting this.
                Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Scandinavia as seen from the Metop-B satellite yesterday morning, 2013-Mar-9 09:46UTC

Data copyright © 2013 EUMETSAT, processing SatSignal Software.

Comment

This is definitely "this nights newly found thread" on CVF. Amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by Tommi View Post
                      This is definitely "this nights newly found thread" on CVF. Amazing!
                      Delighted you are enjoying it Tommi. Thinking of your Swedish/Finnish connections, I should perhaps have posted more to illustrate the variations of ice coverage in the Gulf of Bothnia, and indeed the Baltic in general. This also has the nautical connection of sometimes showing icebreaker tracks.

Many years ago now, the son of a colleague of mine had qualified in TEFL (teaching English as a foreign language) and got a job placement for a year in Oulu. On his return I’d made him a souvenir showing one satellite image for each month of his year abroad. It had turned out to be a winter of record-breaking low temperatures!!!

Comment

That's a cool and interesting gift. For the past several years we have gotten away from traditional store bought things and more to something made with your own hands or that take some thought and creativity.

Comment

I didn’t find those old Gulf of Bothnia pictures as they weren’t kept as a “set”. But the region does appear on this METOP-A satellite image from a few days ago… 2013-March-25 at 10:05

It explains why our CVF photographers in Scandinavia were delighting us with the irresistible combination of snow with sun and blue skies, while I have been lurking for days in the cloudy gloom at the bottom left of the image!

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                            It explains why our CVF photographers in Scandinavia were delighting us with the irresistible combination of snow with sun and blue skies, while I have been lurking for days in the cloudy gloom at the bottom left of the image!
                            ...and the fog just disappeared outside my window - then I better get out in the sun!

Comment

Super Typhoon Haiyan approaching the Philippines, 7 November 2013
                              Metop B image

Data copyright © 2013 EUMETSAT & NOAA
                              processing:- SatSignal Software.

Comment

So perfectly formed, like a painting from imagination, isn't it? Terrifying.
                                It is difficult to try putting oneself in the mind of a Filipino who knows what's coming, having already suffered the tragic consequences of the earthquake, with so many people still living in makeshift tents because their home were destroyed. And although this one is the worst, they have experienced so many typhoons already this year.
                                Thank you for the image, Cecilia.
                                Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                                Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Working...
                                X