Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GOC-GMDSS Radio Operators License

GOC-GMDSS Radio Operators License

I note that this section of CV haven't been used for a while, so hear is a new topic which is burning real for me this moment.

Next week, from Monday to Thursday, I will go to retake a course at Rørvik in order to prepare myself for an exam next Friday and hopefully get my Radio Operators License back.

Any tips and things to remember....?

Kind of nervous about this course and exam...
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

That sounds a great thing to do pakarang, and I’m sure you’ll be OK.
    I did take an exam to get my Amateur Radio transmitting licence, but that was a long time ago - I think you’d have been one year old at the time actually - so I can appreciate a refresher course is a good idea!

Comment

I did my first GMDSS license in 1998 and I can't say I remember whether we still had to learn morse code or not? Probably not.

I'm a bit nervous but I'll sure to pay close attention in class. Some of the things, I hope will return to my vague memory.

I just don't like exams at all..... I despise them...

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
        I'm a bit nervous but I'll sure to pay close attention in class. Some of the things, I hope will return to my vague memory.
        I had to do a short course when it became legally required before you could use one of the new GMDSS radios. I passed the course OK but only when they realised that some of my wrong answers were because I didn't understand the nautical terms they were using... once they realised that I passed.

Never used the radio since, partly because they don't transmit well in the loch. A mobile phone is more useful. I've listened into several rescue dialogues, fortunately not the ones my Husband has made

Good luck with your exam, forget it is a test and just do it as though it were part of normal work

Comment

Originally posted by Gaelsail View Post
          Good luck with your exam, forget it is a test and just do it as though it were part of normal work
          I like that one very much, that is a tip I'll remember next week, Thursday night, when exam nerves hit hard...

Comment

Good luck on your exam.

Make sure to post any odd or interesting bits of knowledge you pick up.

Comment

forget it is a test and just do it as though it were part of normal work
              Gailsail is absolutely spot on with that advice, pak, perfectly expressed. When I was involved with practical classes I was very keen that the regular sessions and the marked test days should have a similar “look and feel” so as to encourage that very attitude. Then all get to show their true abilities.

Do try to really enjoy the course part of the week too – as pilotdane implies, there are many of us who think it sounds rather a treat to get to know about all this interesting stuff
              (If only we had that transporter we'd be right there next to you!!!)

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                (If only we had that transporter we'd be right there next to you!)
                Now that sounds like fun; how about a 12-day Captain's Voyage amateur mariner course on a Hurtigruten ship?

Pakarang as tutor; members giving presentations. Of course the theory classes could only run for an hour/day with the rest of the time being devoted to exploring the ship(s), exploring Norway, exploring the buffet while exchanging 'posts' in person.

Certificate and badge at the end of the cruise to say we had completed the Captain's Voyage.

the forum might be rather quiet for a time.

Comment

Now that sounds like fun; how about a 12-day Captain's Voyage amateur mariner course on a Hurtigruten ship?

Pakarang as tutor; members giving presentations. Of course the theory classes could only run for an hour/day with the rest of the time being devoted to exploring the ship(s), exploring Norway, exploring the buffet while exchanging 'posts' in person.

Certificate and badge at the end of the cruise to say we had completed the Captain's Voyage.

the forum might be rather quiet for a time.
                  Love the idea... as soon as I'm in a paid job, and have some more structure to life, we'll kick start that idea again...

Comment

oh, don't work yourself up into knots, captain!! You know the stuff already. Just take the course and sit the exam as if you were explaining it all to me....which you KNOW you will have to eventually!!!!!!!!! You're gonna be fine...........................

Comment

I like that one very much, that is a tip I'll remember next week, Thursday night, when exam nerves hit hard...
                      Jeeez Storli-it's only Tuesday....stop getting your knickers in a knot........relax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You already know the information!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're acting like you have WAAYYY too much on your plate right now....

Comment

and have some more structure to life,
                        remember the old saying "be careful what you wish for..."

Comment

Ok, Since I know this test is a lot of memorization, lets quiz you Jan so that you are better prepared. Here are basic 15 questions that I have when I study for my license. If you like these, I can throw some more at you.

1. What is the MF R/T distress frequency?
                          2182 kHz.

2. What is the VHF distress channel and frequency?
                          CH16 and 156.8 MHz.

3. What is the MF DSC distress frequency?
                          2187.5 kHz.

4. What is the VHF DSC distress channel?
                          CH70.

5. What do the initials DSC mean?
                          DIGITAL SELECTIVE CALLING.

6. Describe the R/T Alarm Signal
                          This consists of 2 tones, sent alternately to give a distinctive warbling sound, and is sent for 30 - 60 seconds before a distress call.

7. What is the PURPOSE of the R/T Alarm Signal?
                          (1) Attract the attention of a radio watchkeeper
                          (2) Activate an automatic alarm receiver
                          (3) Lift the mute on a loudspeaker watch receiver.

8. List the 3 occasions when the R/T Alarm Signal may be used
                          (1) To announce that a distress call or message is to follow
                          (2) By a CRS to announce an urgent cyclone warning, and using the SECURITE signal
                          (3) To announce "Man Overboard" or danger to persons, using the URGENCY SIGNAL (PAN-PAN). In this case, the Alarm Signal can only be used with a second call, when the initial call did not get enough response.

9. What is the DISTRESS SIGNAL?
                          MAYDAY.

10. What does the Distress Signal indicate?
                          This signal indicates that a mobile is in grave and imminent danger, and requires immediate assistance.

11. What is the URGENCY SIGNAL?
                          PAN-PAN.

12. What does the URGENCY SIGNAL indicate?
                          The URGENCY SIGNAL indicates that a VERY URGENT MESSAGE follows concerning the SAFETY of a MOBILE or the SAFETY of a PERSON.

13. What is the R/T SAFETY SIGNAL?
                          SECURITE.

14. What does the SAFETY SIGNAL indicate?
                          The signal indicates that a message containing an important navigation warning or important meteorological warning will follow.

15. What does the signal MAYDAY RELAY indicate?
                          It is a distress call and as such indicates that a mobile is in grave and imminent danger, and requires immediate assistance.

Comment

Captain RJ- was any of that last post in English???????

Comment

Originally posted by Captain RJ View Post
                              If you like these, I can throw some more at you.
                              More, Captain RJ, more.

Comment

Working...
                              X