Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is so off-topic but

all you master mariners--

I have always been told by people masquerading as sailors (ie-dilettante weekend sailboat owners, etc) that it was unlucky to rename a boat.

But it seems ships are renamed all the time.

Are they wrong? Is it an international thing? Is a boat different from a ship (ok, that last question was just to provoke....lol-

Would someone set me straight so I can correct these know-it-alls that I live with?? ummmm......I mean my loving family members????

Hi Elizabeth,
    Well, I can tell as much as I understand. As far as I've researched, there are no concrete codes that are set for renaming ships, or sailing boats. There are some ships that have met disastrous ends, that have another named after them.
    There was a later 2 funnel White Star liner called Britannic, even though the first Britannic was torpedoed in the Aegean Sea.
    I don't think there is a correct or incorrect way of having a ship by the same name as one lost with loss of life. More over, I would think that you would be taking on fate by naming your new ship the Titanic. I know that I wouldn't!!
    Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

I think that views change depending on where you are in the world. Here in North Devon the re-naming of boats is not frowned upon - unless you name your vessel after one of your children, for some reason that seems to be a big 'no no' around these parts.

It's interesting that there are so many varying superstitions throughout the world. My old skipper who comes from generations of seafarers here in Devon will go totally mad if you dare to bring a pasty aboard the vessel. I will explain to those of you that are not familiar with pasties that they are similar to a pie - a filling of meat and vegetables wrapped in pastry, the difference being that there is a thick ridge of pastry along one edge of the pasty. Pasties were made years ago by the wives of Cornish tin miners for their husbands to eat at work, the ridge of pastry was used to hold the pasty whilst being eaten with dirty contaminated hands. Once the miner had finished his pasty he would simply discard the contaminated crust.

So why does my skipper get rather upset if he finds someone eating a pasty onboard?, simply because the pasty was designed to be eaten underground, and of course not being submariners, we don't want to be doing any of that!
      The sight of a pasty being brought aboard will always see my skipper touching the nearest bit of wood that comes to hand!

Umm, 'Touch wood', is that a world wide superstition? Over here in England touching wood is meant to avoid bad luck, though I don't know the origins of this particular superstition.

Another big 'no no' around these parts is asking a fellow engineer from another vessel how his vessel is running, I:E mechanically. People seem to view that question as tempting something to breakdown!
      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
        I think that views change depending on where you are in the world. Here in North Devon the re-naming of boats is not frowned upon - unless you name your vessel after one of your children, for some reason that seems to be a big 'no no' around these parts.
        Thanks so much Steve, for the delightful info! Funny the "not naming boats" thing. My grandfather and his friend had an offshore fishing boat for pleasure that they named after their granddaughters--the "Laura Liz"- and since he lived well in his 80's, I don't think it was a curse!

And I find the pasty story wonderful! I love stuff like this. For instance, around stables at horseracing tracks- called shed-rows- one NEVER eats peanuts or discards peanut shells. It's considered bad luck. No one knows why, though.

Here in the South, we say "knock wood" instead of "touch wood"- and if there's nothing wooden around, I usually knock on my head!!

Where in Devon are you? One of my dearest friends (my son's godfather) is from Exmouth. Lives in Bristol now. Love that area of England.

Comment

Hi Elizabeth, yep, there's certainly some strange and wonderful superstitions alive and well around the world! I must admit im not very superstitious myself, I've secretly enjoyed many a pasty whilst plodding along the coast at 9 knts!

But I must admit to always saying a quiet 'thank you' and giving each of the engines a little pat when we have made it safely back to port!

Im in the north part of Devon, probably about 50 miles from Exmouth.
          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

In the modern merchant fleet today, nobody - or very few - care about old supersticion. I've never heard it's unlycky to rename a ship. As Lizzie says, it's being done all the time. Changing names on a ship mean a lot of work for everyone involved as all documents, lifebuoys, boats rafts, etc needs to be labeled with the correct name within leaving the port of the name change.

Same thing goes for flag change as changing flag means changing call sign and homeport.

Comment

LIZZIE?????????????? Ok, I have been called by many nicknames, but Lizzie, never. The only "Lizzie" I've ever heard about is Lizzie Borden, and I didn't axe my father in the head and I've never had a stepmother.

Was that some psychological attempt to link me with Lissi the cat??? Now THAT's funny.......

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
                LIZZIE?????????????? Ok, I have been called by many nicknames, but Lizzie, never. The only "Lizzie" I've ever heard about is Lizzie Borden, and I didn't axe my father in the head and I've never had a stepmother.

Was that some psychological attempt to link me with Lissi the cat??? Now THAT's funny.......
                Hehe.. I hope I didn't offend you. First of all I was to lazy to write Elisabeth, second of all, one of my favorite songs are "Dizzie miss Lizzie" sung by the Beatles

Comment

TOO FUNNY! I always wanted to be a beatles' song..............

Comment

Working...
                  X