Radar images

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radar images

I thought i`d share with you the latest in commercial navigation technology.
    I`ve just finished installing a new continous wave radar that works in a very different way than other traditional radars.

First, this is what the harbour looks like from above, showing the position of the scanner:

And here on the scope:

And finally, chart with radar overlay:

As you can see the resolution is far higher than on traditional pulse radars.
    I saw people walking by on the breakwater and cars driving by. Also, a small inflatable boat passed just 1 meter from our bow and came up clearly on the screen.

I`ll try to get some more shots from the sea trials later next week!
    Walking in the shadow of the blues

Wow! That is incredible resolution. You could almost dock by radar. I am curious to see how it does out on the water. I assume software will remove sea clutter. It should be great for picking out buoys and channel markers.

Comment

I noticed i had posted the wrong image in the first post, should be correct now.

This radar`s short range performance is truly amazing as you can see, i haven`t had the chance to test it in bad weather yet but it looks promising! The only con i have against it is the long range performance (4 nm and above) but taking into account the low power tranmission, only a few watts compared to several kilowatts on traditional units it`s actually pretty good!
      Walking in the shadow of the blues

Comment

As long as you are not going 20 knots in the fog you should do quite well with the 4 mile range. I don't know where you sail but if you can get within a few miles and then use the radar to find the buoys you should be good to find your way home.

Comment

Working...
        X