S|S France and S|S Norway on the main page CaptainsVoyage.com

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: S|S France and S|S Norway on the main page CaptainsVoyage.com

From past experience, I know that it's really hard to find someone to help me fill in the informations on the timeline for the SS Norway (but as I have seen, the same people find it amuzing to copy all this information to their own sites without any credit).... but, nevertheless, I need some clarification on the Barcelona-fire in 1999:

May 28th 1999

The ship suffers from a smaller fire in the boiler room while entering Barcelona, Spain, and forces the Norway to cancel reminder of cruise (Barcelona was apparently the last stop on this particular cruise). Earlier this cruise, which also were a charter cruise for 1.500 French passengers, the ship had visited ports such as Malaga and Gibraltar. The fire took out power cabling to the port side, but was handled within 45 minutes. For the rest of the day, and when passengers returned from shore excursions, they were sent home to France with busses. Two consecutive cruises were canceled as he ship were repaired alongside in Barcelona during the next two weeks. Certain information dictates that the ship also sailed empty (crew only) to Southampton where it resumed cruising. (Further information / details is wanted).

June 12th 1999

SS Norway returns to service in Barcelona, Spain.
    That is what I have, but as you can see, this is not all, and perhaps not correct?
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Don't know if it's mentioned anywhere in here, but during the past week-end, Crown-Princess Mette-Marit of Norway officially opened a church in Miami, Florida....., with the long name:

Seaman’s Church of HRH Crown Princess Mette-Marit’s Church, Scandinavian Church and Center.

In this new 'sjømannskirke' is a large wall of glasspainting, originally used as decoration aboard SS "Norway".

(So the media say. I don't know, but I'm sure some of you who's been aboard "Norway" or worked there know what glassdeco this is all about?)
      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Sterkoder:
        The stain glass at the new Scandinavian Church and Center, was the original stain glass that was in the Chapel on board the SS FRANCE. When FRANCE was converted to NORWAY the Chapel was used as a dressing room and the glass covered up. Glass panels were disassembled, removed and crated during the 1990 dry dock. Panels had been in storage for about 21 years in a Miami warehouse, but was remembered by a few former NCL employees and others. NCL graciously released the glass for the new church .

Comment

Jan-Olav:

The fire actually started in the aft turbo generator room where the aft switch board was located. Major damage occured to the generators and switchboard, extensive repairs were needed before the NORWAY would be able to sail again. The cause of the fire was a leaking weld on a high pressure hydraulic line on one of the steam turbine governors. An oil mist sprayed all over the turbine, an instant combustion occurred, the whole room was engulfed in flames. Estimated time of repair was 20 days, job was finished in 17, the NORWAY sailed to Southampton to pick up passengers. Information is from a trusted source.
          Regards,
          Jeff

Comment

Could someone check the "ship's timeline" on www.captainsvoyage.com for me?

There are rumors it is all coming out.... ehhh.... strange looking, and with the images on the wrong place....

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

The ship's timeline looks fine, but are there supposed to be any images? All I see is text, which looks good and in order!

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
                The ship's timeline looks fine, but are there supposed to be any images? All I see is text, which looks good and in order!
                There are several images towards the middle of the page, and at the bottom of the page. Scroll down.

Comment

i just see 3 images 2 in the middle 1 at the end.
                  best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
                    i just see 3 images 2 in the middle 1 at the end.
                    Are they covering any of the text, or are they "in the right place"?

Comment

they are in the right place.
                      maybe it would be more in line with the other images if you keep some line open under the second (the sterns of the ''norway'' anthe ''qe2'') image.
                      day 28 april is right on the bottom,but free from the image,while the other images are free on top and/or bottom .
                      best regards Thijs

Comment

Jan-Olav, looking at the Timeline, there is a space of about 7 lines between the text ".....exact date of the first cruise." and the top of the first picture. Below the first two pics. is OK with one line space. Then the third picture has a large gap of about 16 lines between its top and the last of the text above. I'm not allowing for any 1-line spacing between pic. and text in my measurements.
                        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
                          they are in the right place.
                          maybe it would be more in line with the other images if you keep some line open under the second (the sterns of the ''norway'' anthe ''qe2'') image.
                          day 28 april is right on the bottom,but free from the image,while the other images are free on top and/or bottom .
                          Thank you so very much for checking for me, Thijs and Ivy... I will look into it, or perhaps relocate the images to another page.

Comment

i think you can better place more images of her,if you have a image that was made on the date of the timeline
                            Last edited by janihudi; December 18th, 2011, 09:12.
                            best regards Thijs

Comment

It is certainly important to either fill or close that gap before the final photo, as it is long enough for readers to assume that there is no more to come after the mention of the Norwegian Seamen's church. As that final pic. is of the glass painting in its new home there is no need to find a photo of the ship taken on any particular date, for any relevant pic. would be OK if it proved impossible to close the gap. But, equally, it may be tricky to insert another photo, anyway.
                              Don't relocate the photos, J.O. they belong where they are, don't they?
                              Tomorrow I'll check the placings in IE 693, or whatever number it's up to now! I never use it, only use Firefox, but the two have different ways of interpreting HTML and placing of photos on websites, as I know to my cost.
                              Ivy

Comment

Just checked with IE.
                                6 or 7 line space between the text and the top of the pic.1 (same as Firefox)

No single line space between the bottom of pic.2 and the next date, but they are clear of each other. (Firefox had 1-line space)

About 12-line space between text and top of pic.3 (Firefox had about 16)

I didn't mention this in my mail at #41 but there is a 5 or 6-line space between the bottom of pic.3 and the next line of text in both IE and Firefox and a further space before "email me".

Then, really nit-picking: In both IE and Firefox there is a 2-line space between the Aug.25th 1998 entry and the following one for Aug. 27th. Hopefully easily remedied. And also that final bracket for Aug.22nd 1998 is on a line by itself, annoyingly! Can you fudge it by closing up the gap between 07.00 and the dash? That would bring the bracket back in line.

And I tell you what I found: at the bottom edge of pic.2 there is a minute trace of text underneath the pic. The following line is "April 28th.....". It doesn't matter for it's only visible as a slightly rough edge to the pic. bottom if you look closely. But so long as there is no text missing.

All these spacing problems can be a bit of a nightmare, can't they? Thijs' idea of more pics. is great, if you have them and they're relevant.
                                Ivy

Comment

Working...
                                X