Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[S|S France and S|S Norway] Private collections and collectiables.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Jan-Olav... I have many deck plans of the SS Norway from 1980 all the way through her final years, and could not locate those two locations on the deck plans either.

On my six cruises, I walked every inch of what was accessible to guests, and don't remember seeing those two places.

Maybe they were going to be put in during one of the refurbs? The Directory Board is after the 1990 refit, and before they installed the dark blue directory boards (1996?).

It's interesting to note that on my Directory Board, Le Bistro was still called Le Rendezvous, so that may well put an exact date as to when this board was on the ship. On my first sailing in July 1995, that restaurant was already Le Bistro.

Comment

I think I have photos of Sven's Ice Cream Parlor on Webshots Community, it was located on International Deck aft, starboard I think.
      sigpicI will never forget the lovely grand SS NORWAY.
      Past Cruises on her: August 22, 1992. June 4, 1994, April 7, 2002.
      Nearly had our fourth cruise, it was set for November 7, 2003...
      the boiler room disaster of May 4, 2003 took her out of service.
      We ended up on the NORWEGIAN WIND, not the same as the SS NORWAY

Comment

Nice find, I think one of those was on ebay last month.
        I have one of the boards/stair tower from after the 1996 refit. They were made by Law Architectural Sings of Miami.
        Thanks for sharing. Looks pretty cool!

Comment

Originally posted by mrslinarcos View Post
          I think I have photos of Sven's Ice Cream Parlor on Webshots Community, it was located on International Deck aft, starboard I think.
          Yes, I remember Sven's... I enjoyed my fair share of icr cream there as I was at the ages of 15 when I first sailed the SS Norway.

But interstingly, on the directory board that I bought, it also shows one AFT on International Deck... ?

Comment

The directory board is right, it was aft.

Comment

Limited lithograph

I'm not sure this is the right thread for this post. If not, please feel free to move it. The picture below is not of the greatest quality because of the reflections, but it is of a limited edition lithograph that we got on a cruise back in 2001? It was a one in a run of 450 prints. It looks great framed and hanging in our dining room! First time posting a photo. Hope this works!
              http://schoolsoutcharters.blogspot.c...1_archive.html If you click on the image, it will enlarge.

Comment

That is a beautiful lithograph. Wish I could have gotten one.

Comment

Why thank you! I go by it every day and sigh when I look at her. We bought it at a Park West auction onboard the ship. The auctioneer was blowing them out at $35.00 (unframed). It was a no-brainer for us!

Comment

At $35.00 you can't go wrong. I'd treasure it too. And the dining room is the best place for it.

Comment

Whilst cleaning out my closet this afternoon, this old copy fell out of a book. For those of us that are able to read Norwegian, it could be some interesting reading.

For those that doesn't read Norwegian, the heading says something like "Serious play with the SS Norway" and refers to the Captain of the ship training on the Miami approach at a ship simulator, which at the time of her launch as the SS Norway was something entirely new.

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                      Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                      Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

SS Norway China

Does anyone know what happened to the china on the SS Norway before it was cut up ?
                        Did the NORWAY letters ever get sold ?
                        Did anyone ever buy any decking from the ship ?
                        Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by MayorDGN View Post
                          Does anyone know what happened to the china on the SS Norway before it was cut up ?
                          Did the NORWAY letters ever get sold ?
                          Did anyone ever buy any decking from the ship ?
                          Thank you.
                          I hope there are other members who knows this better than me, and which can confirm the above questions, because I vaguely recall that the dining room china was removed in Bremerhaven and placed on either the Norwegian Sky or Pride of America....

The last I saw of the NORWAY letters was that they were listed on a Norwegian auction website. They are no longer listed.

I also wonder what eventually happened to the large cut out from the bow where the name of the ship, a 4-ton piece of steel plating?

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Not from the Norway, but from Norwegian Caribbean Lines at about the same time:

Comment

And this is definitely from the Norway, a "medal" wildly sold on board:

Comment

I think it would have been really neat if you could get this coin today - or perhaps a similar one more elegant - minted from the very hull of the ship. A commemorative coin would have been awesome. The only item I see being made from the steel of her hull are pocket knives (at prices that will cut a hole in your wallet!)

Comment

Working...
                                X