X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Maxtone-Graham and his new FRANCE/NORWAY book

I don't see a topic for this, but this is due out in the states in December. Will retail for $50 or more depending on where you are. Right now Amazon has it for less than $50. If its anything like his book on the Normandie, this will be a treat for us FRANCE/NORWAY lovers.

Love the cover and no, I didn't know he was coming out with this book.
    sigpicI will never forget the lovely grand SS NORWAY.
    Past Cruises on her: August 22, 1992. June 4, 1994, April 7, 2002.
    Nearly had our fourth cruise, it was set for November 7, 2003...
    the boiler room disaster of May 4, 2003 took her out of service.
    We ended up on the NORWEGIAN WIND, not the same as the SS NORWAY

Comment

John Maxtone Graham's book on the FRANCE/NORWAY will be very similar in size, layout and quality to his book NORMANDIE that was published in 2006.

The book is being published by WW Norton and Company and being printed in Italy. The cover painting is a watercolor done Don Stoltenberg a well known marine artist. The back cover is the same view, the image is the NORWAY, circa 1980.

JMG spent about 2 years gathering information and interviewed former NORWAY crew, including Captains, Chief Engineers, Superintendents, hotel/ cruise staff and passengers.

He also had the opportunity to view many photos of the ship, some of which have not been published before.

We (FRANCE/NORWAY) lovers are very fortunate that JMG decided to write a book about her life and fortunate that a high quality publisher like Norton decided to publish the book. I'm looking forward to my copy and I hope everyone who has feelings for the ship will buy a copy.

Jeff

Comment

This will be a wonderful book indeed. I have a feeling I'll be ordering it.
        Last edited by mrslinarcos; September 30th, 2010, 02:14. Reason: misspelled wonderful
        sigpicI will never forget the lovely grand SS NORWAY.
        Past Cruises on her: August 22, 1992. June 4, 1994, April 7, 2002.
        Nearly had our fourth cruise, it was set for November 7, 2003...
        the boiler room disaster of May 4, 2003 took her out of service.
        We ended up on the NORWEGIAN WIND, not the same as the SS NORWAY

Comment

Received my copy JMG's FRANCE/NORWAY book earlier than expected from Amazon. I'm very pleased with the book. It is a high quality book, good selection and production of photos, many views of the ship not seen before and JMG's unique style of writing makes the book a good read. Stories are told from people who worked on board and whose professional lives were dedicated to the NORWAY.

Comment

Interview with John Maxtone-Graham

Last July I visited Mr. John Maxtone-Graham at his home in New York and we talked about his new book. Here's a link to the video interview Enjoy the interview!

Comment

Christmas came early this year - three days early that is Today I received my copy from Amazon.com, and so far I'm thrilled. I haven't had time to study it thoroughly yet (my wife keeps on giving me christmas preparation assignments...) , but soon I will.

Comment

I have ordered myself a copy as well.... that shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone..

Expected to arrive from amazon at January 6th 2011....
                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Jan- Olav:

I think you will be pleased with the book. Many of the people mentioned in the book you will know.
                  Jeff

Comment

If you have not yet purchased this book, there is no reason to wait. No better way to remember this fallen liner of the age. Here is what the inside covers look like, something similar in fact to what was done with the Normandie counterpart book- kinda of befitting.

Comment

My book is supposed to have arrived from Amazon two days ago, according to the International Expedited Postage, but it's still not here....

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                        My book is supposed to have arrived from Amazon two days ago, according to the International Expedited Postage, but it's still not here....
                        ... and my book has still not arrived, 2 weeks after the expected delivery date, even with Expedited Shipping. It was sent from Amazon in the middle of December.....

Comment

Jan-Olav:

I would suggest you get Amazon to send you another copy. I think your book is lost. I have found Amazon to be very reliable. They already have your money.
                          Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Skyward View Post
                            Jan-Olav:

I would suggest you get Amazon to send you another copy. I think your book is lost. I have found Amazon to be very reliable. They already have your money.
                            Jeff
                            The book arrived yesterday, January 18th, but the shipment and the book was damaged. A replacement has been shipped but now I have to send this one back to Amazon and wait for another weeks before I can sit down and read it. Arrgghhh.... what a pity! Not a good first-time experience with Amazon for me.

Comment

What bad luck Jan Olav!!! Hope your second book arrives quickly and in perfect shape.
                              Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X