X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite, or most cherrished SS Norway memory

We all have stories about the Norway and how she affected our lives in some way. But what do you think is your mose favorite story or cherrished memory about the Norway?

You will be able to read some of the crew's own stories in this page from the main page:

http://www.captainsvoyage.com/captai..._Manifest.html

... or from these kind readers which have shared their fond memories as guests on board:

http://www.captainsvoyage.com/captai...uest_List.html
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
      You will be able to read some of the crew's own stories in this page from the main page:

http://www.captainsvoyage.com/captai..._Manifest.html

... or from these kind readers which have shared their fond memories as guests on board:

http://www.captainsvoyage.com/captai...uest_List.html
      Naturally, we would love to add more stories to these. Should you be a crew or a past guest of the ship, please do send me a PM or an e-mail so your story can also be included.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Report from the grand old days!

Posted on 17 Jun 2010 - by sdyaso In: Youth Orchestra
        SS Norway, the Norwegian Cruise Line, was a beautiful olde ships I had ever driven forward. The seven-day cruise was over Thanksgiving out of Miami to the Caribbean. It is a great group Cruise with dance masss are four known swing and the afterlife. everything – I love jazz and big posse song and I love old dances, but not even a good dance partner. I’ve noticed.

Sailing on a trip to Norway bent back in time. It was built in 1960 as the infamous SS France, more than 1000 meters, a beam 110 of the base, with about 2,000 passengers and a crew of 900 from around the world.

She was the proud tradition load faster. Norway coretained still a kind of grace and remember the first cruise. The ship was renovated many phases, but the art deco murals, mosaics finalized, with polished teak rails and antique sailing cruise past substantially preserved, and if you walked along the promenade deck where if I felt back in time cruising. As we ate, we knew where you were infamous star restaurants had eaten, and you look at the murals and art-conscious primary machines were in those early days, others for its meeting in this place, that same outlooked murals, and who dealing with the same kind of lively conversation with others as it is responsible. Later that sunset, half of the Cary Award is, elegant in his tux, wandering on the bridge components and nonchalantly beside you on the track.

It takes a while “to find your way. Norway is 10 blocks long and 12 decks high. There is a bridge Inter Citizen lined with cafes and boutiques, is on deck Olympic pin with bastions schooner skills to the effect while watching the sea, on a bridge, you get less driving a corrupt Roman Spa that offers massages, aromatherapy , body wraps, saunas, steam rooms, indoor and a team due to water. On bridges of any kind are two teams, a jogging track, seven bars and lounges, six input tainment, ball locale a great club, a big nightclub, disco, ice cream, files, piano bar, and a tragedy for the first run and old classic movies . If you want, there is a hairdresser, laundry, dry cspareer, masseuse, and power structures.

Norway 1039 statelocales, each with air conditioning, beingal bathroom with shower, TV, radio and telephone. Some suites have a living and local isotardyd bedlocale bedlocale and a master. Most suites have a balcony beingal penthouse. A sunset we were invited by a gang in the suite of the seller. It was spectacular, with a wraparound balcony, living room, bedlocale, dressing room and Jacuzzi. Our mass – a former detective regutardy Illinois who won a bet based on many millions and was celebrated. We had a small opening with less spectacular lodge.

First job every day – a choice between the substance to do. There were Broadway shows, meaning that the classes, dance, basketball, golf and take energy, paddle ball, tennis ring shuffle panel, skeet shooting, snorkeling lessons and excursions, volleyball, appears to work, mauve-tasting, auctions’ art, lectures, tea superb parents, a churn for singles, and a band of champagne for honeymooners. There were many boys APANEL this trip, but overall there was a series of play local young children, boys and teen activities and special trips ashore. How can we ever would say to get bored on a cruise?

We left Miami late in the light of day and activities happening at once. Some passengers went straight to the nightclub, waiting for that open when we got more miles on the right. The club was founded for blackjack, craps, roulette, baccarat, 200 slot machines and a play-off a new number that I had heard. I was happy on the deck, listening to the song, snacks APANEL receipt out hit, and the study of the sea disappear behind.

The ‘alswift I was raised this guarantee. I felt like another being. Holidays bucket on land not used here. I looked at the waves breaking along the ship section and move on the path behind. The air was light. Holiday weakness? – Puff. The jam just transfer here would be the first in line waiting for input from the dining room to dig into another meal. The suretys would only store on board in port, or both, or golf, tennis, swimming in the sea or a suffocating made hard work in the booming sea. And tonight I had to choose shrimp or clam fritters, fried bread or blueberry muffins or light, or substanceed Cornish hen or grilled swordfish, coconut cake or meringue or “dessert-by chocotardy have left.” Or a bit ‘of each. And I never had a place to find it!

The first night people were mounting and the bright alswift dance had begun. I’ve never seen so many people in a place that she loved dancing so much and knew so much about jazz and big posse song. You can stray ball local ball local to the bridge Inter Citizen can sit and give passengers over memories and as she listened to a jukebox free 24-hour CD with selections richness of the life of jazz and big posse images.

Four have sung this week, alternating two each night: the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra conducted by partners Morrow, Si Zentner and his Orchestra, Bob Crosby Orchestra conducted by Ed Metz Jr. and Art Orchestra conducted by James Depew irritating. And every night at Cafe Intercitizene, who bowed to my desired location, was the drummer that I can contribute to the background to play for the old movies of Fred Astaire. He still played the old staff bscuttle drum mode “Step Ring Out with My Baby” and “Top Hat and Tails”. I met the dance masss six colleagues in their coats and khaki flotilla colorless and dances danced my first.

A while on the high seas, the witness began to turn Christmas trees, more than 50, almost all bridges. A few passengers have helped some substance. In the spirit of holitime, the path of the classic holiday film tape featured such films can be great stage presence, and interoutlooks old stars with known large posse. We all had the spirit of the holiday. But this is different. No problem. Finishing first port of St. Maarten / St. Martin. (The island is alienated into two, half Dutch and half French.) Dutch port, where we moored, is Philipsburg. On the other part is Marigot, with some seasection French cafe. In between the sea at Mullet Bay, with heaps of training for good photo ops dominated, swim and explore. There store ring task overlaps with two sections, with merchandise ranging from inpricey t-shirt and expensive bracelets and clothing Unselect French Caribbean. some vacant land excursions. In the morning we decided to go on a sailing schooner race 12 meters, which was undertaken in the Copa America. In the light of day we walked along from store to store in the sun with calypso song in the background, then finishped for a sip of fresh respiteaurant on a site along the ocean, and thinking about people in the crowd store ring home.

Finishing was the next St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands is an agreement that protected the city. There are a number of beautiful seashores drain and hiking and climbing. We have again chosen to sail, while others chose seashoreing, sightseeing bus tour around the island, or was at one of the snorkeling / diving. Our schooner resumed S. Thomas, where we caught up with the ship. Most people went to town to some store ring endless task to do what they do when Christmas store ring she got home. Others went to Magen Bay, the most accepted in the seaside locale. Another group went snorkeling in the shelter of the lower cliffs Island, where the underwater fish feeding by hand is a highlight, and other outlooked coral and marine life at sea Atlantis. We were back in plenty of time to rest and shower before dinner, and greater Posse song and dance.

I remember three brilliant support decent night. One was the group gathered around songians the CD jukebox, singing the dust and old memories. “This is all with a deep thud Stewart Holley, one of those bright stage, they played together.” “Who is the drummer?” “Sounds like Oliver Jackson.” “Right. Evoke the night …” ‘T sat and just listened, smiling, happy to be a part of. The call was supported by a perspective A. m local ball in the core. Some of the adults were snoozing on the ward meeting banquet, too tired to dance anymore, but also properties of the postponement of a good song.

It was after 2 a. m when I do it again at my local state, well my daily walk outside the CD jukebox for a breath of sea air in the first rotating songians memories disappeared, but part of an elderly there were thin and their children in decent clothes, their arms, leave the memories, the dance of an old Tommy Dorsey change. I had tears in my eyes as I walked back to my accommodation.

The next day was the day the sea on a small island in the Bahamas – Great Stirrup Cay. I wore it in the Bahamas on one of outislands live, so it was wonderful to return to the transparent turquoise waters of the Bahamas. I walked by the sea, and remembered I live five live on the islands.

In the end seven times, the ship was decorated for Christmas and New Year saccordling SWIFT Cruise. Alswift were booked. But, I thought, I can score for next year. But time ran away and now navigate more.

Best regards

The Norway

Comment

I just simply LOVED reading that so VERY much! Thank you so much for sharing!

Comment

My meeting with the SS NORWAY

Is short, to short.

Don’t inspect much, I don’t have any images, parts or souvenirs of her to show you.

I always told this story to my family, colleges on the road, or others when the talk go to ships.

It was in the second half of the eighties, that I saddled a trailer at my truck to deliver goods to Bremen, Bremerhaven and ended in Hamburg Germany.
            So heading on my way to Bremen at evening out of Rotterdam for unload goods in Bremen the next morning.
            After unloading Bremen I drove to Bremerhaven to deliver 2 rusty old davits for the ss NORWAY, sure why not, I had a lot ships parts supplied in those years

Listening to the radio there was a conversation about the ss FRANCE, greatest passenger ship on the world, that was on her way to lloydswerft (ships yard) in Bremerhaven to be renamed ,the ss NORWAY.

NORWAY, NORWAY ,huh ,looking into my loading papers there is stand, ,NORWAY unloading address lloydswerft in Bremerhaven.
            Damn she isn’t even there yet, that’s bad.
            goods that are for a vessel had to be signed by the captain or chief officer, the ships yard won’t signed for it. so I could getting late this day.

Arriving at lloydswerft , the security said that she is docking at the moment and tell me where I can find her.
            Nur immer gerade aus, he said ,but how far

(the squire before the B shos an image of the QE2 in the same dock)
            53°34'8.77"N 8°33'29.11"O

(the rusty hull below,is the pride of america)

Driving over the yard looking where to be, looking right, looking left, looking right ,looking le ,

BAM

Love at first sight, my first looks of her, that sharp bow.
            (like this ,but the dock was full with water, she was docking in)
            (Image from jan-olav main site)

A big sharp bow right in front of me.
            I was overwhelmed by the looks of her just a few meters from me ,and drove further looking at her,
            don't know when these are taken, coming from the internet.
            but maybe sombody can see it

can't get it bigger without lost

Meanwhile looking for somebody that will unload the davits, so sad that i can’t be there for long ,had to go to Hamburg.
            So I stayed looking at her as long as possible so when the forklift came I unload the davits, closed the trailer and drove away of her.
            To never see her again.

I always told this story again and again, when discovery showed the ocean liners documentary I looked it ,just to see her again, and the memory came back.

So al I get of her is this memory, a LOUSY memory.

Why lousy? Forgot a lot off things.

This is how it should be. In red is addit to the story.

It was in the second half of the eighties, (87 to be precise,i saw on Jan-Olav storli's website her lifeline,i only could se her in 87 in bremerhaven,82 and 84 i wasn't a driver jet and 1990 could be,i was driving a daf in that time i seen her, in 1990 i was driving an iveco truck so leaves 87) that i saddled a trailer at my truck to deliver goods to Bremen, Bremerhaven and ended in Hamburg Germany.
            So heading on my way to Bremen at evening out of Rotterdam for unload goods in Bremen the next morning.
            After unloading Bremen I drove to Bremerhaven to deliver 2 rusty old davits for the ss NORWAY, sure why not i had a lot Ships parts supplied in those years

Listening to the radio there was a conversation about the ss FRANCE, greatest passenger ship on the world, that was on her way to lloydwerft (ships yard) in Bremerhaven to (thought) be the ss NORWAY.

NORWAY, NORWAY ,huh ,looking into my loading papers there is stand, ,NORWAY unloading address lloydswerft in Bremerhaven.
            Damn she isn’t even there yet, that’s bad , goods that are for a vessel had to be signed by the captain or chief officer, the ships yard won’t signed for it. so I could getting late this day.

Arriving at lloydswerft , the security said that she is docking at the moment and tell me where I can find her.
            Nur immer gerade aus,he said, but how far

Driving over the yard looking where to be, looking right, looking left, looking right ,looking le ,

BAM

Love at first sight, my first looks of her, that sharp bow. (and at the end the only think i remerberd)
            (something like this ,but the dock was full with water, she was docking in)
            (Image from jan-olav main site)

A big sharp bow right in front of me.
            I was overwhelmed by the looks of her just a few meters from me ,and drove further looking at her,
            Meanwhile looking for somebody that will unload the davits, so sad that i can’t be there for long ,had to go to Hamburg.
            So I stayed looking at her as long as possible so when the forklift came I unload the davits, closed the trailer and drove away of her.
            To never see her again.

I always told this story again and again, when discovery showed the ocean liners documentary I looked it ,just to see her again, and the memory came back.

So al I get of her is this memory, a LOUSY memory.

Why lousy?

I don’t remember her anchor in the bow.
            I don’t remember that she was bleu
            I don’t remember her unique funnels
            I don’t rememberd how she looks
            And she was already the ss NORWAY at that time.
            The only thing I remembered, that sharp bow.

So just a lousy memory

Late 2006 I bought a computer and get on the internet, and a world was opening to me, so what to search for.
            At a moment I typed cruise liners in and a lot of those beautiful ships appears to me, looking al those video’s
            Of old cruise liners was so nice, well a lot off them, I saw the video of the ss AMERICAN STAR on the beach with that beautiful song, and then I saw, ss NORWAY.
            Well it was late already, so will look tomorrow.
            The next day wesley cald me in my truck and said that the NORWAY was shipwrecked on a beach.
            WHAT ??
            Yes she is laying on a beach somewhere, and quit a while al of the furniture is on board but water is coming in,
            Windows are broken, a lot wrapped in plastic, mold on the carpets.
            I said that can’t be, they let her rotting on a beach, she is to good for that.
            Smit can towing her away. (I’m dutch, so there is only one who can do that)

usually when I come home, I eat, I shower and go to the computer,
            This time I run upstairs to see what happened (the video of the AMERICAN STAR came up to me again).
            Didn’t found out that evening what was happened ,didn’t eat eather.
            But wesley had seen this video.

http://www.oceanlinershop.com/doc_trailer.html

(it won't open a the moment off posting,but hopefully it will)

The next days was a search of what was happened with her.

And then I found more and more nice images of her more information, but still not
            What why and where.
            And then I found it what was happened, boiler explosion , laid up in Bremerhaven
            Towed over the world and beached her for scrapping.

I wanted the owners against the wall ,and shoot them,
            Taken some big guys with me and force them to build a bigger, better,but with the same lines new NORWAY.

They had taken MY ship away from me.

Now to find out, can she be saved, wasn’t it to late to get her away from there.
            Info,info,info

She wasn’t complete gone at that moment, but hopelessly lost.

Searching on the internet for more info ,about her I get a link to captains voyage and clicked on that.
            Heeee a lot of the ss NORWAY mmmhhhh strange,all posts stop at 28 December 2008.

Hee they go further on a new one.
            Okay, go to that new site.
            And here I ‘m, 1500 posts richer, but an illusion poorer.

I hate internet

well i get a new fact for you're 1000 facts of the ss NORWAY jan.
            2 of her davits where supplied by me.
            probally for replacement of others,when i count the lifeboats on the FRANCE and the NORWAY the amont of them is the same.

now you know the link of me with the beloved ss NORWAY,and to CV.

THE END OF POST 1500
            Last edited by janihudi; October 23rd, 2010, 15:57.
            best regards Thijs

Comment

Thank you so very much Thijs... Loved that 1500h post of yours!

Excellent!

I will add the new fact, the two lifeboat davits... (wink)

Comment

Working...
              X