Sad Anniversary

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sad Anniversary

Not sure if this has been posted yet or not but here goes. Next Tuesday the 25th of May 2003 is the sad anniversary of the boiler explosion which doomed our most precious ship, the SS Norway.
    This afternoon I was looking thru the photo album, on this site. I was looking at the wonderful photos of the Norway. As I was going thru the many pictures of Norway and it suddenly hit me in the gut that this beautiful ship was in fact gone. Strange considering the photos we saw of her being scrapped at Alang. Plus all the 100's of posts we all had done on the old forum starting shortly after the explosion. Anyone else having smilar feelings???

Indeed a very sad anniversary... and even till this day, it's hard to imagine that she is almost completely gone: spread out to some rich collectors all across the world.

I so dearly wish she would have remained and that she would have sailed on, but I also understand that it would have been an almost impossible task (financially) to preserve her into some sort of static role. Especially with all the financial troubles the world has experienced the past few years.

I frequently look back at old photographs of her and dream, dream of those days and all the memories I had on her for a decade.

I also wish that her end had been a lot more glorious: a proper send off, and a proper retirement which would have been more appropriate for a such a national flag ship both for the Norwegian and French government for so many years.

But they are just all that: my dreams.

I also wish I could get a sudden burst of help to complete some more of her memorial pages on the CV main page... I had a dream to create the best English memorial site online for her, but I see now that doing so alone, is a loosing task as I do not have the time to do much more. I might have to delete all those unfinished pages on the main page, and let her stories disappear into history in the same way the ship eventually did. It's amazing how many people who have an experience with this ship but how few have stepped forward to offer some stories and information (that's my rant for today).
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
      I also wish I could get a sudden burst of help to complete some more of her memorial pages on the CV main page... I had a dream to create the best English memorial site online for her, but I see now that doing so alone, is a loosing task as I do not have the time to do much more. I might have to delete all those unfinished pages on the main page, and let her stories disappear into history in the same way the ship eventually did. It's amazing how many people who have an experience with this ship but how few have stepped forward to offer some stories and information (that's my rant for today).
      NEVER stop dreaming Jan-Olav as we say in Holland,Cologne and Aachen are not built in one day.

who cares if it stays years without a memory,if you get 1 after 5 years
      so what,many had sailt with her,but a few are realy intrestet in her lines, her beauty ,her royal appearance,
      and those few passingers of her,dont no the excistense of CV.
      i meet her ones and wil write it sometimes,but its such a louwzy/lauwzy?? memory
      Last edited by janihudi; May 20th, 2010, 13:13.
      best regards Thijs

Comment

Indeed it's a sad anniversary. I won't forget it, I was working at Sears and had just gotten home when I heard about a ship that had exploded on the radio and the dread I was fearing I had seen on CNN. It was so sad to lose valued cruise mates that day for the ship that day..... Eight crew members died and the ship died. The soul of the ship is it's members; each doing an important task and when they died; she died too. I will always miss the NORWAY and Captain, don't drop your blog on the NORWAY...I visit it often.
        sigpicI will never forget the lovely grand SS NORWAY.
        Past Cruises on her: August 22, 1992. June 4, 1994, April 7, 2002.
        Nearly had our fourth cruise, it was set for November 7, 2003...
        the boiler room disaster of May 4, 2003 took her out of service.
        We ended up on the NORWEGIAN WIND, not the same as the SS NORWAY

Comment

Yes Pakarang, never stop dreaming and I love the site you have made for her. I wish I had a story to post, but I never had the chance to meet the old lady.
          I would have when she was spending her last days of mercy in Bremerhaven, but I didn't know she was there until she had left... I will always be sad about not having seen her there :-(

Comment

I might have to delete all those unfinished pages on the main page..
            Do that, Jan-Olav, and you will have to deal with me...and TRUST me...you DO NOT want to have to deal with me.

(with apologies to the movie "Steel Magnolias".......)

Comment

I didn’t even have E’s “close miss”. It is only through your pages, "finished" or not, that I have known her at all . . .

Comment

Pakarang, hold on to those dreams. I admit the S.S. Norway holds no memories for me, but I do remember her birth as the S.S.France as I was living near Southampton for several years at that time and therefore much more ship conscious with the Queens coming and going. But I have already said to you in an email: "And please don't delete any of the empty pages on your home page, as you threatened. Someone will come along some time who will fill them."
                Now look, man, be sensible. Those pages do no harm where they are, and you just never know....
                Last edited by wherrygirl; May 20th, 2010, 10:46.
                Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I guess it's on of my quirks making me the one I am: I don't like leaving unfinished things, I rather see them completed or abandoned.

The thing is, you don't need a lot of your own stories from the ship but if someone has a talent in writing, they can also write the stories missing by gathering the information and putting it together.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I do understand how you feel because I am rather like that myself (except that I function on a longer time scale than you, dear impatient one ).

I have actually tried to do something for these unfinished pages, but I just couldn’t get anywhere with it. I think one has to have at least some personal connection with the subject matter to be able to do it. Or at least I would need to have, though perhaps that is just one of my quirks.

But as wherrygirl has said, you just never know, sometime someone out there with a connection with the ship might just happen to come across CaptainsVoyage for the first time . . .

Comment

I guess it's on of my quirks making me the one I am: I don't like leaving unfinished things, I rather see them completed or abandoned.

Patience is a virtue
                      Possess it if you can.
                      Seldom in a woman
                      But NEVER in a man.

Comment

...they can also write the stories missing by gathering the information and putting it together.
                        Pakarang, I've been right through your pieces on the Norway and it seems so extremely well covered that I don't really understand what it is you are missing when you ask for stories in the piece SS France/Norway Pride of 2 Countries. What information remains to be gathered other than the much desired reminiscences from people connected with her in one way or another? And that can only be done either by direct contact from them in answer to your appeal or by searching the web for them - a formidable task - and inviting their contribution.
                        You say "I had a dream to create the best English memorial site online for her". How do you see this taking shape? What would it contain, roughly?
                        By the way, that translation by caroluseligidius... accurate presumably, but good English? Yuk!
                        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Its a sad day especially for me because that very day is my mother's birthday. When i learned of the explosion, i was devestated. I remember first finding out the Norway was going to be scrapped. I broke down CRYING at school. It was devestating to me. Ill miss her along with the thousands of fans of her.

Comment

I might go out on a limb here, but I highly doubt another ship as fantastic as the SS France/Norway will ever be built again.

There was something VERY special about her: a presence, grace, elegance, and as well, one of the most vivid memories of her is 5 AM on Wednesday morning when she sailed up Pillsbury Sound to Saint John, the sun about to rise, warm Caribbean breeze and the ship slowly awakening to a beautiful day.. all this, whilst being able to "smell that special aroma" on board...

As mentioned many times before, there was indeed a very special smell, an aroma, on board the Norway. Does anyone else remember that?

Comment

I wish I would have had the chance to be on board, to feel her atmosphere and to smell that aroma. An equally wonderful ship will NEVER ever be build.

Comment

Working...
                              X