Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [S|S Norway] The Staterooms and Suites

[S|S Norway] The Staterooms and Suites

All these endless hours spent on updating the main page with SS Norway information and images the past couple of days has left me missing this big blue ship so immensely. She was so spectacular in many different ways of the word.

I must also admit that because of her fame, it has been extremely - yes, extremely - difficult to get people to share their stories and images from and of this ship. Everyone is twisted towards making money on this ship, selling their images to a very inflated price. I have numerous of times been asking people to drop by with more images of this once great liner and to help me build the greatest collection on the net, and so far, after 3 years... not much has been added.

I do get a lot of e-mails though asking me to hand over my own images for various causes.

Strange how the world works.

Anyway, these past couple of days I have come to realize that it is a pity digital photography wasn't invented 20 years earlier. I would have taken so many more images of the interior on board, the exterior, and the ship's countless details.

I miss her terribly.

Bottom line, I have created this thread to see if we can gather some images of the almost 1.000 staterooms which she carried. Imagine, if we had a complete collection of every single stateroom on board? Wouldn't that be a historical record?

Impossible, but we are allowed to dream, aren't we?
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Staterooms

Jan,

Permit me to be the first to add some photos of my inside cabin aboard the Norway...

I'll find my itinerary sheet so I can locate the stateroom number, but I THINK it was 103 ... somewhere under the kids playroom for certain ... I remember hearing all the jumping .. This was a small, double-occupancy inside stateroom - I didn't get an elaborate room because I planned on spending lots of money on excursions and entertainment (and I did!!!).

I remember roaming the halls late at night and seeing people still bustling ... I would go up to the sky deck - all the way forward - and feel the ocean breeze as I watched her cut through the moonlit ocean waves. I touched the teak wooden rails, worn and smooth by the many visitors before me... I obeyed all the rules, but now I wish I hadn't -- I wish I would have explored in other places.

I know what you mean about missing her. It's hard to believe 2 years have gone by since she vanished from our sights.... I still to this day wish there was something that could have been done that would have prevented her demise. I know that there are strong arguments about her age and such, but if she was permitted perhaps just a bit more time allowing people to board her -- and a retirement date set - I think it would have been a way everyone who loved her could have an opportunity to say 'farewell'.

Sometimes I think I'm just a fragile sap because tears still fly out my eyes when I come here and see all this that's gone ... thus why I disappear for interims - I need to recover It wasn't "just a ship" -- it was a portal.
    Last edited by dirk6665; February 28th, 2010, 17:58.

Comment

Thank you so much.... and you are not alone, sometimes when I think of her, I feel I'm ready to shed tears.

I wish I had a large special memento from her, apart from my experiences, images and small souvenirs. I would love the 4-ton plate from the bow, with her name, her main mast or even this wonderful 13.500 US$ model.

Under the childrens playroom? Well, Pool 103 was by stairtower 3 but Pool 073 was under the playroom. Could it have been Pool 073?

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Actually, the cabin you show us above looks very similar to what I remember my officers cabins on board looked like.

My officers cabins were located on Olympic/ Oslo Deck. Ostafjells may correct me if my recollection is incorrect, but I remember my cabin numbers as O-1006, O-1008, O-1010 and O-1012.

Comment

Found it!!

Well,

You were SO CLOSE!!! I just located my original luggage tag ... check it out...

... how incredibly close you were ... It was POOL DECK stateroom P61

Here is a floor plan with it highlighted. P.S. I have ALL the floor plans from brochures...

Comment

So, the first confirmed cabin interior image we have is of Pool 061!

Only some 999 other cabins to document before we finish this project!

How many staterooms were there actually on the ship in her different phases?

Comment

The Cabin numbers Jan-Olav mentioned on Olympic Deck sounds very familiar though the memory starts to fade They are indeed port side cabins and I remember deck officers where on the port side, chief officer in front, and Engineers on the stb side

Comment

Originally posted by ostafjells View Post
                The Cabin numbers Jan-Olav mentioned on Olympic Deck sounds very familiar though the memory starts to fade They are indeed port side cabins and I remember deck officers where on the port side, chief officer in front, and Engineers on the stb side
                My memory is also not what it used to be, but there are somethings I find deep down inside my psyche.

Sadly though, I do not have one single image from how those cabins looked like.

Comment

When I get finished from school today, I'll post photos of the staterooms my late husband and I had onboard the lovely and still grand NORWAY. We were in Olympic deck 163, 153, and Viking Deck....the number of that room escapes me, but we weren't far from the Leeward Dining Room, just a few steps away from it. And yes, when I see photos of her, it just hits me that she's gone and it's still too hard to believe.
                  sigpicI will never forget the lovely grand SS NORWAY.
                  Past Cruises on her: August 22, 1992. June 4, 1994, April 7, 2002.
                  Nearly had our fourth cruise, it was set for November 7, 2003...
                  the boiler room disaster of May 4, 2003 took her out of service.
                  We ended up on the NORWEGIAN WIND, not the same as the SS NORWAY

Comment

OKay, mrslinarcos - I know you have wonderful pictures - I have seen your photos everywhere of our Beautiful Blue Lady (Webshots...) - and I'm in anticipation of seeing these photos of your state rooms.

You know, one thing I wish they would have done while she was still in tact - is film a tour of the ship in Hi-Def, like they do with the street views in Google, so that you could still "virtually walk" the ship - any deck - any place. I think this would have been a virtuous monument to her and also a very important historical archive. With the details that could have been captured it may have been possible to recreate the entire ship in 3D with incredible detail.

I expect that some day, technology will allow us to relive such places - as long as enough detail is archived about them -- maybe not as far as we see on 'Start Trek' with the "Holodeck" where one can physically interact with structures, but certainly in a perceptual sense to where you "feel" as though you are in the space. Imagine some day being able to walk down the glossy halls of International Deck and see every small detail. Or sit in Leeward Dining room.

Pakarang - you are not the 'only dreamer' ...

Comment

Originally posted by dirk6665 View Post
                      You know, one thing I wish they would have done while she was still in tact - is film a tour of the ship in Hi-Def, like they do with the street views in Google, so that you could still "virtually walk" the ship - any deck - any place. I think this would have been a virtuous monument to her and also a very important historical archive. With the details that could have been captured it may have been possible to recreate the entire ship in 3D with incredible detail.
                      I totally agree with you, I wish we could have a virtual walk through of the ship right now. Maybe like the virtual walk through of the Titanic - game "Adventure out of Time"....

This is a great game, and you can also walk through every part of the ship, and get a feeling what it must have been like back then.

Comment

I will need to scan my photos, but I do have photos of each of the staterooms I stayed in... They were:

I-036 (July 1995)
                        K-032 (August 1996)
                        SU-015 (August 1997)
                        F-052 (New Year's Cruise 1998 to 1999; my favorite stateroom as it was one of the original balcony staterooms after the initial refit)
                        V-??? - Far FWD (November 2002)

We always sailed her in a large group, so I can ask family as well for any photos they may have.

Although I am only 30 years old, I had been lucky enough to sail on the great ship five times and numerous visits (more than a dozen or so) on Saturday's thanks to Jackie Johnson, she was VP of Sales in the 90s. My collection of items from/about the SS France/SS Norway gets larger everyday. My prized pieces are the Directory Board from Sun Deck AFT, as well as some smaller signs from various parts of the ship. And also my CSC model of the SS Norway - the detail is amazing for a 1/1250 scale model.

I still can't believe she is gone...

Comment

Originally posted by rdelpapa View Post
                          I will need to scan my photos, but I do have photos of each of the staterooms I stayed in... They were:

I-036 (July 1995)
                          K-032 (August 1996)
                          SU-015 (August 1997)
                          F-052 (New Year's Cruise 1998 to 1999; my favorite stateroom as it was one of the original balcony staterooms after the initial refit)
                          V-??? - Far FWD (November 2002)

We always sailed her in a large group, so I can ask family as well for any photos they may have.

Although I am only 30 years old, I had been lucky enough to sail on the great ship five times and numerous visits (more than a dozen or so) on Saturday's thanks to Jackie Johnson, she was VP of Sales in the 90s. My collection of items from/about the SS France/SS Norway gets larger everyday. My prized pieces are the Directory Board from Sun Deck AFT, as well as some smaller signs from various parts of the ship. And also my CSC model of the SS Norway - the detail is amazing for a 1/1250 scale model.

I still can't believe she is gone...
                          Wow, Rick, you ARE lucky indeed!! It's awesome that you were able to procure some things from the Norway - I have been trying and trying to find some items from the ship (at prices less than a down payment on a new house) and have been hitting brick walls... there is one site in Norway that claims to have some items from her and I have been writing repeatedly to them and they never respond. Just recently again I wrote and inquired how much it will cost to freight it back to me in the USA. I finally got a response a few days ago and they were supposed to get back to me with an estimate and I have not heard from them again very depressing to me ...

Feel free to post ANY great links related to the Norway - I'd appreciate any info on her. And seeing your cabin photos would be fantastic - can't wait!

Thanks!
                          Last edited by dirk6665; April 1st, 2010, 21:55.

Comment

I haven't forgotten, I've got to do the photos of my rooms as well. O53, O63, and it's sad; I can't recall the room number for Viking Deck. I do know we didn't have far to walk to the Leeward Dining Room.
                            sigpicI will never forget the lovely grand SS NORWAY.
                            Past Cruises on her: August 22, 1992. June 4, 1994, April 7, 2002.
                            Nearly had our fourth cruise, it was set for November 7, 2003...
                            the boiler room disaster of May 4, 2003 took her out of service.
                            We ended up on the NORWEGIAN WIND, not the same as the SS NORWAY

Comment

Ah, If only I could locate my photos of our Penthouse Suite on the Sun Deck. This 7 day cruise to the eastern Carribbean. well I'd have to rate it as the best cruise on the Norway. This inspite of the fact that so many people seem to have an extreme dislike for the 2 add on decks which ruined her lines. I knew her with and without those 2 additional decks and for what its worth i believe her to appear much better with the additional decks. Thats my opinion and you purists are entitled to yours.

Comment

Working...
                              X